Votes: 28 16.3%
  • GCS

Votes: 27 15.7%
  • other

Votes: 24 14.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Except if you Gold Coast.....Weller..... FMD
Umm true , you got to find a GC sun academy player get pick in the first round like Fremantle did few years ago and gave him 40+ AFL games to sell that idea again .

Last edited:

I agree Walsh is a much safer bet than Lukosius.

I know he's playing against men, but he's been named in the best once this year and going at less than a goal a game.

At the same age Jesse Hogan was doing a hell of a lot better in the VFL, being named in the best more than not and getting close to three goals a game.

The #1 pick is almost never the best player in the draft. The only two I can think of in recent memory were Nick Riewoldt and Brendan Goddard (Saints got something right for a change) the next closest is probably Luke Hodge and Lachie Whitfield but imo they are just shaded but Judd and Macrae respectively.

Jeff White might be the next best standout #1 pick
Cooney was the best player of the 2003 draft, but only because that draft was hot garbage.

I agree Walsh is a much safer bet than Lukosius.

I know he's playing against men, but he's been named in the best once this year and going at less than a goal a game.

At the same age Jesse Hogan was doing a hell of a lot better in the VFL, being named in the best more than not and getting close to three goals a game.
Out of all the high rated SA boys, hately is the one who has performed best in the SANFL this year and has caught the eye on numerous occasions. From a crows perspective if they can work to secure rankine and hately from this draft they would have done very well. Lukosius might cost too much to make it worthwile for them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually looking over it I guess Heath Shaw, but only because Cooney was injured in the second half of his career.

Even in retrospect if you lined that draft up now for top 20 players there virtually nothing left of note after the 1st round of picks.

Carlton trading pick 35 for Heath Scotland actually looks an ok move now...lol

Durability is an underrated trait in Aussie Rules
Cooney won a Brownlow but Heath Shaw out lasted him due to injuries cut Cooney down quite early. You would still probably take Cooney at 1 if you could not see the future. As a draft pool though, just shows not every year are there super talented types that game changers to be found.

Back