Player Watch Jack Lukosius's Kicking

Remove this Banner Ad

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's breathtaking. A rare thing of beauty in this ugly world. Currently second in the game for metres gained per game and in his last two hit outs he has kicked the ball a whopping 836 and 799 metres forward.

Coming off his long stride he gets otherworldly penetration and accuracy from just a step or two. Clearly has a huge amount of power in his legs but it's the delicacy with which he strikes the ball that stands out. I have considered the two Eagles Shannon Hurn and Lewis Jetta to be the two best kicks in the game and to my eye Lukosius's style is a combination of the both. You're seeing Hurnian distance from a Jettaesque intricacy and vision to see and then connect with the 45° options.

I'm sure in this thread, if there are any replies at all, there will be conjecture about what position he should be playing, who might be a better kick, his form as a defender outside his footwork etc. Go for it but the intention is to appreciate and consider what we're seeing. Which are some sweet sweet hits, nice shoes.

IIRC was he recruited as a KPF as a junior?

Very interesting shift so early in his career but he's been amazing in that defender/ flank role and his movement and field kicking for a tall guy is so impressive. Very damaging player and terrific coaching and development to recognise the potential in another position and have the willingness to give it a go rather than pigeon-hole a top pick in their pre draft position.

beautiful kick,martin,whitfield and jetta cosistently hit blokes on the chest from 40 metres +,whitfield in particular,didnt go # 1 for his looks
his kicking last year under pressure and ability to hit the target from 50mtrs was the elite of the elite,its the difference btwn Shiel,Treloar,Cripps for example,they got rid of those players because under intense heat they butcher it 70% of the time

IIRC was he recruited as a KPF as a junior?

Very interesting shift so early in his career but he's been amazing in that defender/ flank role and his movement and field kicking for a tall guy is so impressive. Very damaging player and terrific coaching and development to recognise the potential in another position and have the willingness to give it a go rather than pigeon-hole a top pick in their pre draft position.

Yes bit in the SANFL seniors I did see him as a key defender and he looked smooth and a great kick but without the muscle to play on big forwards (when he was 17/18).

Is going to be a very good player but I still think they should have taken both king brothers imagine both them and rankine in the same forward line could have been one of the greatest forward setups ever!

Would have been an interesting change in the top of the draft.

Carlton - Walsh
GCS - M.King
GCS - B.King
StK - We were super keen on Rozee (assuming Max King was gone) but what about Luko?
PA - Luko/Rankine
GCS - Rankine/Luko

I thought the Suns were silly when all the talk of Lukosius playing in defence came out but it's turned into a brilliant move. Going to be really hard to tag him as well given his size. Reminds me alot of when Riewoldt and Richardson were played on the wing. St Kilda doing the same with Josh Battle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was pretty unimpressed with him last year but it’s been a great positional move. He’ll be the most damaging player from the defensive half in the AFL for a long time.

He is a weird combination of Jack Watts + Matthew Watson’s kicking in a way that makes him absolutely awesome.

GC have so many sexy young players: Rankine, King, Rowell, Anderson, Stupid Sexy Flanders, even guys like Miller, Sexton, etc. going to be a lot of fun to watch in a few years

He is a weird combination of Jack Watts + Matthew Watson’s kicking in a way that makes him absolutely awesome.

GC have so many sexy young players: Rankine, King, Rowell, Anderson, Stupid Sexy Flanders, even guys like Miller, Sexton, etc. going to be a lot of fun to watch in a few years
Ben Ainsworth is getting there after his early injuries.

Luko is pretty much Docherty with a better kick. Could be the best half back in the league in a season or two.

Not sure why so many had question marks on him becoming a gun player at AFL level. Always had elite kicking skills and moved exceptionally well around the ground in whatever position he was assigned to. The Jack Watts/Justin Westhoff comparisons were way off.

But yeh his kicking is incredible. Routinely makes 60 metre passes to leading forwards who are running between defenders. So good to watch.

Think Ainsworth potential has sadly been limited by injury. Pre injury he was an explosive player now he looks much slower. Still very smart and strong but just don’t see him becoming a top line player anymore.
That's a shame. Looked to be just as good as Taranto in his first year.

He's our best kick ever in Suns history and its not even close. Every single kick is sexy, agree on the shannon hurn call. Not often you want players launching from 60m and he can do that and also laser hit a forward with ease.

Would have been an interesting change in the top of the draft.

Carlton - Walsh
GCS - M.King
GCS - B.King
StK - We were super keen on Rozee (assuming Max King was gone) but what about Luko?
PA - Luko/Rankine
GCS - Rankine/Luko

I thought the Suns were silly when all the talk of Lukosius playing in defence came out but it's turned into a brilliant move. Going to be really hard to tag him as well given his size. Reminds me alot of when Riewoldt and Richardson were played on the wing. St Kilda doing the same with Josh Battle.
Ben king and rankine would have still have gone to the suns at the same picks they would have just been swapping luko for max king

Ben king and rankine would have still have gone to the suns at the same picks they would have just been swapping luko for max king

I think if Ben King was there at #4 then we would have taken him.

This scenario gets GC the King twins to build around and then one of Rozee, Luko and Rankine. Still an awesome deal but they made the right calls initially anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back