Jack Macrae V Zach Merret

Macrae or Merrett

• Jack Macrae

• Zach Merrett

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s about 15/48. Probably the same amount of Essendon supporters voting for Merrett. All it tells you is that neutrals observe Macrae to be better. Once again, this is certainly no slight on Merrett, Macrae has been the most consistent player in the AFL and has upped his output this year with improvements in his kicking.
So which of Mahama, Spiritof82, Walsh Bay, RedWhiteAndBlue, who_let_the_dogs_out, Mofra, Dogma, AjsGun, charcoalchicken, Aldo, BorisDawg, yourself, MOC, Snarls Barkley, Substance, iambrilliant, go you pups, Gronkd, ThePhreshOne, jdz101, HELMET!, Bulldogs85, cherrypie, MJG14, CarnTheScrae and Angak aren't Dogs supportsers?

Sorry, I was a little short but that's a lot more than 15. I get why you think Macrae is better.
Care to make your argument about the merits of both players then?
It's pretty simple. Both are fantastic players, I just feel Merrett is better ball in hand than Macrae. That's the main difference between them IMO.

It's pretty simple. Both are fantastic players, I just feel Merrett is better ball in hand than Macrae. That's the main difference between them IMO.

The statistics over the course of their careers don’t really back that up, and the stats and eye test this year in particularly dismisses any notion suggesting Merrett has that over Macrae

Macrae is a better ball user by far now and has been marginally better for years

The statistics over the course of their careers don’t really back that up, and the stats and eye test this year in particularly dismisses any notion suggesting Merrett has that over Macrae

Macrae is a better ball user by far now and has been marginally better for years
Are you talking about disposal efficiency? You're using one of two statistics that should never ever be used in an argument, along with pressure acts. Any kick that goes 40+ metres that isn't a direct turnover is counted as efficient. Macrae is fine kicking wise, don't get me wrong, but Merrett is one of the best field kicks in the AFL IMO.

Are you talking about disposal efficiency? You're using one of two statistics that should never ever be used in an argument, along with pressure acts. Any kick that goes 40+ metres that isn't a direct turnover is counted as efficient. Macrae is fine kicking wise, don't get me wrong, but Merrett is one of the best field kicks in the AFL IMO.

Interesting. Macrae certainly isn’t a 40+ metre kicker. But his DE is better than Merret’s. I can’t remember if Merrett kicks much long but that metric should definitely help him then. Problem is it doesn’t. And this year Macrae smashes Merrett in that respect

So if we can’t use DE, we can’t use AA selections, we can’t use bigfooty polls, what can we?

Put it this way, Merrett wouldn’t be taking Macrae’s spot at the dogs. He’s keeping smith/hunter/lipinski out of the mid rotation at best. We have at least four-five better mids in Bont, Macrae, Libba (best stoppage mid in the comp right now), Dunkley and Treloar.

Smith I rate better too but that’s more to do with age and point of difference

Last edited:
Interesting. Macrae certainly isn’t a 40+ metre kicker. But his DE is better than Merret’s. I can’t remember if Merrett kicks much long but that metric should definitely help him then. Problem is it doesn’t. And this year Macrae smashes Merrett in that respect

So if we can’t use DE, we can’t use AA selections, we can’t use bigfooty polls, what can we?
I wish there was a statistic available to the public that would accurately demonstrate how good a player's kicking is. If there was a retention rate stat I'd use that.
Put it this way, Merrett wouldn’t be taking Macrae’s spot at the dogs. He’s keeping smith/hunter/lipinski out of the mid rotation at best. We have at least four better mids in Bont, Macrae, Libba (best stoppage mid in the comp right now) and Treloar.

Smith I rate better too but that’s more to do with age and point of difference
I'd disagree with Treloar and Macrae. You'd use him far more effectively than we would, no question. Bailey Smith though? You think Bailey Smith is better than Zach Merrett?

Look in the mirror before you call anyone biased again. What's next, Bailey Dale is better than Stringer?

So which of Mahama, Spiritof82, Walsh Bay, RedWhiteAndBlue, who_let_the_dogs_out, Mofra, Dogma, AjsGun, charcoalchicken, Aldo, BorisDawg, yourself, MOC, Snarls Barkley, Substance, iambrilliant, go you pups, Gronkd, ThePhreshOne, jdz101, HELMET!, Bulldogs85, cherrypie, MJG14, CarnTheScrae and Angak aren't Dogs supportsers?

Sorry, I was a little short but that's a lot more than 15. I get why you think Macrae is better.

Fair enough. To be honest I didn't quite realise quite a few of those were dogs supporters. Maybe I'm not on here enough.

I think the argument that Macrae wasn't as good as Merrett with ball in hand is somewhat outdated. Especially this year, Macrae's ball use inside 50 has gone to another level and has been highlighted in the media this week as one of the best users in the comp. His action has been historically clunky but it's gone from "effective" to a real weapon recently. Plus his ball-winning ability and unbelievable consistency has me place him above Merrett.

I wish there was a statistic available to the public that would accurately demonstrate how good a player's kicking is. If there was a retention rate stat I'd use that.

You just wish there was something to back up your unfounded statement. If DE is not accurate as you say because of the 40+ metre clause, yet neither of these players are known to regularly kick that far to activate that clause, then by logic DE is fairly synonymous with retention rate.

You also said “ball in hand” which translates to much more than your clear hard-on for Merrett’s kicking. Either way, Macrae has him covered.

Bailey Smith though? You think Bailey Smith is better than Zach Merrett?

Look in the mirror before you call anyone biased again. What's next, Bailey Dale is better than Stringer?

You are just being silly and pedantic.

It’s fun engaging you on this, so far we can’t trust DE, AA selectors and bigfooty polls but you expect people to be wooed by your flawed arguments?

Love the work of both players, but only one strikes me as a genuine Brownlow chance heading into each season and he just so happens to be the only premiership midfielder out of the two. Macrae.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voted Merrett, but Macrae has been the best player in the comp for small patches. Macrae just has a great support team around him to get the best out of him, whereas Merrett couldn't have a worse mix for his attributes. I think Merrett would be the better player in a set up as good as the dogs. Especially if he had protection before his multiple concussions.

Macrae earning the plaudits this year. He’s been great his whole career but has gotten even better now

Just never ever plays a bad game. What is it now, 17-18 games in a row with 30+ possessions?? Next best EVER is 12 or 13 games in a row. And is becoming more damaging every game, especially hitting the score board. So thankful he’s on our side.

Zach was excellent today as well.

Can we expect this pissing contest attempt from you regularly?

People’s ratings are unlikely to change week to week and it’s not really the point of the comparison

Back