Player Watch Jack Madgen (Delisted 2022)

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
You couldnt drop him after another spirited performance like that. He just isn’t in our best 22, but forcing the selector’s hand each week when he keeps backing it up like that.

19 possessions and 7 marks @ 78% - take that.

Not our worst but where does he sit in future discussions and do you coach for the now?
or develop a player who gas a higher ceiling but may not be as plug and play?

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not our worst but where does he sit in future discussions and do you coach for the now?
or develop a player who gas a higher ceiling but may not be as plug and play?
To answer you, it’s Murphy, but until he’s ready, I can’t see Madgen being replaced by anyone else at present.

It’s a credit to him that despite us having Roughead, Moore and Howe fit and playing, he’s still getting a gig.

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
I'd prefer Madge isn't in the side, but he won the ball well last night, though, his kicking was atrocious......When CFC were dominant in the first quarter he burnt our forwards big time.
I would give him another opportunity on the wing to see if his foot skills improve other wise gonski...
Looks like another classic 'buckley' list clogger, Mayne 2.0...

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think he did ok playing on the wing, not a bad performance and he hit the scoreboard. It was an interesting positional move and showed some creative thinking by the coaching panel, which is what some of the more vocal critics in here were asking for.

Was played there quite a bit through the preseason apparently. Only his 25th senior game, so still has upside.

Johno9911

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Though he looked ok up the ground, yeah his kicking wasn't great but he at least looked to move the ball forward and quickly - something our side has lacked in recent times.

The move makes sense for mine if he can continue to develop there. Has good aerobic ability, size and having spent time in D50 he knows when and how to drop back and support. Additionally with potentially Sier, JDG and Adams out of the team, having another bigger body around the middle of the ground won't hurt.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
You couldnt drop him after another spirited performance like that. He just isn’t in our best 22, but forcing the selector’s hand each week when he keeps backing it up like that.

19 possessions and 7 marks @ 78% - take that.
Stats are one way of measuring impact, there are others also...definitely not our worst performer on the night, but not worthy of all the accolades. It was his foray on a wing, perhaps he can improve...not a good night for the less skilful players I guess either. Even Pendles was turning it over.

I’m not a fan of introducing more slow players to an already pedestrian midfield.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
My Gran used to say "You can't pull up your socks if you're not wearing any"... if Jack Madgen's our best midfielder then how would McRae, Poulter and Reef be any worse?

Spiral_Out

Team Captain
Mar 3, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have been saying since the very first game I saw, he is a burden.

He is dumb, panic attitude and panic decision making.

If someone like me, a simple footyball fan, can see it very early, someone please explain to me how.

How is it possible that so called 'experts' and paid professional coaches continue to persist with such obvious dead weight?

I literally can't believe it. I thought maybe it was a Buckley thing, I can only remember maybe 3 or 4 weeks of Buckley's entire coaching career that I was truly happy with the selected 22. But now he is gone, Harvey and co are still making such incredibly incompetent team selections.

100% if someone with a spine was in charge, players like Mayne, Madgen would not be wasting a list spot.

Back