Uncontracted Jack Martin [requested a trade to Carlton]

RobR

Premiership Player
Sep 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton played Fremantle after the train was put back on track. It was absolutely intentional, next time you see Chris Judd ask him how he felt about it.

Jack Martin is another elite player Cartlon will have for next season for free, it's a massive win.
Jack Martin could be elite, he's not there yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Foucault1989

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I didn't say tanking. That's a scary bad word in the AFL.

I said Carlton were intentionally and knowingly under performing with key senior players bumped to secondary roles with a view to them getting extra assistance from the AFL.

A lot of clubs have done this by the way. The AFL don't actually care unless it costs them money or makes them lose face in the media.

Carlton had slipped from 6th most revenue in 2017 to 8th in 2018, the AFL doesn't want to have another club in Melbourne that is getting by on lifeboat handouts, so the show is put back on track.

The irony of your comment isn't lost on me. You're projecting what should be directed towards your club to me because you're not reading between the lines of what I'm saying since it disagrees with the rationalisation you've put in place in your mind.
So not tanking but intentionally performing poorly to get higher draft picks.....I'd put down your phone for the day

Monkey King

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
So not tanking but intentionally performing poorly to get higher draft picks.....I'd put down your phone for the day
Yeah, I wouldn’t even bother.

Bolton lost his job and income on purpose?
Carlton’s masterplan was give the Crows pick one all along?
A club throwing away a whole season chasing priority picks suddenly stops and says “yeah nah, let’s win a few”?
The AFL were gonna give Carlton priority picks? Lol. What’s the day in between Sunday and Monday called again?

Must be raining bricks over in Freo today.

Foucault1989

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Don’t even bother.

Bolton tanked his job on purpose?
A club throwing away a whole season chasing priority picks suddenly stops and says “yeah nah, let’s win a few”?
The AFL were gonna give Carlton priority picks? Lol. What’s the day in between Sunday and Monday called again?

All rational stuff hey! It's the classic response for an opposition fan who vaguely follows others clubs from a distance but assumes to know the inner intentions and development of the club more than fans who follow them day in day out

Taylor

Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don’t even bother.

Bolton tanked his job on purpose?

What was the difference between the AFL's view of Gold Coast and Carlton before round one this season? What had the AFL done for those two clubs specifically in the trade period a few months before that?

Carlton would have been looking at a priority pick in this draft just like Gold Coast received.

Foucault1989

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
What was the difference between the AFL's view of Gold Coast and Carlton before round one this season? What had the AFL done for those two clubs specifically in the trade period a few months before that?

Carlton would have been looking at a priority pick in this draft just like Gold Coast received.
Hey mod. Move on. This has nothing to do with Carlton acquiring Jack Martin.

Stabby McGee

Senior List
Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
Damn you lot at Melbourne are spikey about a player who doesn't want to come to your club
But I'm not. Others might be, but I don't rate him higher than B grade with a bit of potential. Probably closer to C on what he has showed. Certainly not worth paying him the $$$'s he wants, and which would put him in the top 8 highest paid at the club. I'm pretty OK with Langdon, Tomlinson and (the see what happens) Bennell that have come across. Martin.. meh. Even if he wanted to come or we did pull the trigger with PSD 2 I'd still feel the same.

But it's all fun and games. With any luck GC take him just to spit in your eye and next year he asks to go to Richmond, or you pay what he asks and is sows discontent in your club.

To me it is win/win as long as we stay out of it.

Monkey King

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Alright, we can leave it here then. The same people I talk to about this will smile with how devoted their fans are.
Just as anyone who knows their footy, Carlton fan or otherwise, would crack a smile at this nonsense.

Carlton trading away their future first rounder with the strategy of tanking it to pick one in the hope of maybe, just maybe, getting a very rare and unpredictable priority pick awarded to them at season’s end, likely based on history, to be an end of first rounder at best. Sounds like a cunning plan Baldrick! :drunk:

Arr0w

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
But I'm not. Others might be, but I don't rate him higher than B grade with a bit of potential. Probably closer to C on what he has showed. Certainly not worth paying him the $$$'s he wants, and which would put him in the top 8 highest paid at the club. I'm pretty OK with Langdon, Tomlinson and (the see what happens) Bennell that have come across. Martin.. meh. Even if he wanted to come or we did pull the trigger with PSD 2 I'd still feel the same.

But it's all fun and games. With any luck GC take him just to spit in your eye and next year he asks to go to Richmond, or you pay what he asks and is sows discontent in your club.

To me it is win/win as long as we stay out of it.
Sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arr0w

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes he is un-contracted, he is not a free agent. Do you know the difference between the two?
Everyone knows the difference

Let's just get back to some facts:

Martin requested a trade to Carlton and still wants to get to the club and due to being uncontracted, now is a free hit

Martin/manager have stated they have no intention of entertaining the Demons, or remaining at GC

Until that changes, you can speculate all you want, but please don't pass it off as fact

RobR

Premiership Player
Sep 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes he is un-contracted, he is not a free agent. Do you know the difference between the two?
I won't even bother answering that stupid question but i can tell you there's no way known that he is worth band 1 compo on current output.

Blackas87

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2011
Kwan-li-so
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Orlando magic
I won't even bother answering that stupid question but i can tell you there's no way known that he is worth band 1 compo on current output.
It’s just as stupid talking about Gibbs being contracted imo.

I wasn’t sure what band 1 was, he wound’t get pick 2/band 1

Everyone knows the difference

Let's just get back to some facts:

Martin requested a trade to Carlton and still wants to get to the club and due to being uncontracted, now is a free hit

Martin/manager have stated they have no intention of entertaining the Demons, or remaining at GC

Until that changes, you can speculate all you want, but please don't pass it off as fact
If GC are being serious about making a stand, Martin’s intentions shouldn’t matter.

I’m not sure what fact you think I’m passing on here?

RobR

Premiership Player
Sep 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s just as stupid talking about Gibbs being contracted imo.

I wasn’t sure what band 1 was, he wound’t get pick 2/band 1

If GC are being serious about making a stand, Martin’s intentions shouldn’t matter.

Band 1 is a pick directly after after the clubs first pick, i did say possible pick 2 depends on where Gold Coast finish.

Foucault1989

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Report from Teague is that Jack Martin still wants to get to the football club. Very interesting to see if Gold Coast or Melbourne go against his expressed wishes.

Jeremias

Sep 26, 2004
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
MUFC, LAL, PSG
Report from Teague is that Jack Martin still wants to get to the football club. Very interesting to see if Gold Coast or Melbourne go against his expressed wishes.
They won't.

But they will try change his mind over the next few weeks, as is their right.

It was good to hear Teague this morning confirm Jack still wants to end up at Carlton. Turns out he's not at all upset or disillusioned with the club for not being able to get a deal done in the trade period.

Arr0w

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

Only way GC retain Martin, is him having a complete reversal of his desire to leave GC, which has been ongoing for 12 months

Stop feigning innocence, you have posted conflicting amounts as to what Martin has been offered and bizarrely trying to pass it off as fact

I am tipping, once Martin gets to Carlton, you will become dramatically less active in this thread

Blackas87

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2011
Kwan-li-so
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Orlando magic
Only way GC retain Martin, is him having a complete reversal of his desire to leave GC, which has been ongoing for 12 months

Stop feigning innocence, you have posted conflicting amounts as to what Martin has been offered and bizarrely trying to pass it off as fact

I am tipping, once Martin gets to Carlton, you will become dramatically less active in this thread
Yes he wants to leave the club, fully agree. He’s still up on the Gold Coast though so I don’t think he’s against living up there. All I’ve stated if I’m the Suns and I’m making a stand knowing Jack isn’t against living up there, I’m offering him a one year deal (which will give him free agency next year and the Suns will get compo for him) or we will select you in the draft.

By the way with all the compo picks, draft concessions GC have received, I’m not against them losing Jack for nothing. I’m just looking from their perspective, they’d be stupid to let him walk for nothing.

I’ve only brought what others have stated in this thread as to what Martin has been offered. I’ve stated I do not know what he has been offered and no one else on here does either.

The contract was only brought up because one Carlton poster was saying Jack isn’t good enough to get a game at a top 8 club and wouldn’t be best 22 at Carlton next year. I was just stating Carlton offering a large contract (figures I got from this thread) would disagree. The contract was irrelevant to my argument anyway, Carlton are recruiting Jack to be a best 22 player and they have plans for him to be in the team when they get back to being a top 8 club. Jack isn’t being recruited for the VFL

Top Bottom