Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

* Carlton would have a set trade value and may not want to pay more and if Papley does come then Martin is not really a must have player

Its going to be an interesting trade period and not sure if Tony Cochrane is still pulling the strings but if he is it will also be a very colourful period

I don't think Martin and Papley are mutually exclusive.

They are different players and will play different roles in our 22.

People lauded the fact that Essendon were able to secure Smith, Saad and Stringer in the one off-season. I'm not sure what makes this situation so much more complex?

Once players (particuarly out of contract players such as in Martin's case) nominate - it tends to happen.

Not that I think it will come to this and the clubs will make the more sensible decision, but do you seriously think GC would refuse to trade with Carlton out of spite and THEN pick him back up if he enters the PSD despite the fact he clearly wants to leave? They already have serious issues with player retention as it is, imagine how it would look if they deliberately re-drafted Martin after refusing to deal with his preferred club. Ridiculous notion IMO

I agree. It's as ridiculous as the notion of players with decent trade value going through the PSD at all e.g. pick 30 or PSD claims

Im not saying the refuse to trade him out of spite but more so they cant agree on a trade value such as Prestia pick #6 they wouldnt budge and Richmond ended up paying it at the end.

If GC suns say 1st rounder or say pick #10 and wont budge similar to the prestia deal then what does carlton do ?

Prestia contracted at the time and had more runs on the board. Bit different.

Prestia contracted at the time and had more runs on the board. Bit different.
Prestia was not contracted and had only played limited games the previous 2 years with a knee reconstruction to go along with it but you are correct in he did show more for the first 3 years than Martin . Not sure if Jaeger was contracted or not.

Prestia was not contracted and had only played limited games the previous 2 years with a knee reconstruction to go along with it but you are correct in he did show more for the first 3 years than Martin . Not sure if Jaeger was contracted or not.

Got my info from this article in regards too his contract.

Apologies if I’m wrong.

Not sure how true this article is.
Tuesday, 19 July 2016
Dion Prestia has played his last game for 2016 – and possibly his last in Suns colours.
Prestia will have surgery in Melbourne on Tuesday afternoon, with his knee injury worse than first thought.
The out-of-contract 23-year-old has been playing with pain for much of the season, but aggravated the problem in round 16 against the Brisbane Lions.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-19/year-over-for-suns-mid-jaeger-hits-another-hurdle

Got my info from this article in regards too his contract.

Apologies if I’m wrong.
Probably a mistake in the article , From what i remember and pretty sure his contract had expired and he hadnt signed a new contract and told the club he wanted a trade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably a mistake in the article , From what i remember and pretty sure his contract had expired and he hadnt signed a new contract and told the club he wanted a trade

Who did Gold Coast draft with the pick they got from Richmond for Prestia ? At the time I thought it was way overs, but now it looks like a tidy trade for Richmond.

Im not saying the refuse to trade him out of spite but more so they cant agree on a trade value such as Prestia pick #6 they wouldnt budge and Richmond ended up paying it at the end.

If GC suns say 1st rounder or say pick #10 and wont budge similar to the prestia deal then what does carlton do ?
With all due respect to Martin he's not the same quality of player as Prestia and tbh if (and I don't think that they will because clubs don't do deals like BF posters) the Suns ask us for a pick that is far too much or we can't realistically get a hold of then that reflects on them, not us.

Like I said, I don't think it will come to that given Martin is uncontracted and clearly does not want to be there (he wasn't playing NEAFL for any other reason). The Suns can ask for 8, we'll offer something like next years second and I imagine his value is somewhere in the middle. Given their issues with retention and the overall situation re Martin, I don't really think the Suns are in a position to sit there and be all "pick 10 or gtfo". That's just not how clubs negotiate.

This is really a nothing trade in the scheme of things.

He's a good player but has not shown he'll be a star or even a consistent gun.

I have him on the same level of trade as Wilson from GWS to Freo.

It's only getting a lot of media coverage because he was a highly rated junior - but his career to date has fallen well short.

Martin will be done for his minimum value. Not contracted. Poor year. Not overly important player at club. Got dropped at 24yo.

Papley will be done for his maximim value. Contracted. Great year. In Swans leadership group at 24yo.

It's not rocket science.

Also silly trying to place exact numbers to their worth on what Picks clubs currently hold because clubs have ample opportunity to aquire what is needed to get trades done. 2 years of picks to use or trade around. Players to use. etc

Carlton don't have a second round pick this year. Plenty of clubs like next year's draft more, shouldn't be hard to find a deal for the 2020 pick into a pick the Suns will accept.

Trade week is an ordering problem. You need to determine the order of the trades from all parties to unravel the knots.

It'll get done

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Personally i dont have a horse in this race but believe this deal is not going to be as easy as people think and could get drawn out until the last day and maybe not even get done and just a few things to keep in mind.

* Gold Coast does not want to continue to lose players specially good players that are chased by more than 1 club and in this case 3+ clubs

* Gold Coast will be looking to make a statement and get good value for their investment similar to what they did with Dion Prestia who was injured and played only 8 games in 2015 and 14 games in 2016. Prestia went for pick #6

* Gold Coast also has the option to send Martin into the draft up their sleeves with Carlton only holding pick #8 then next pick not until #39 so Martin will definitely be gone by pick 20 at the latest.

* PSD is also not an option as the GC hold the 1st pick

* If push comes to shove they could say to Martin to find another club as Carlton dont want to party

On the flip side

* Carlton would have a set trade value and may not want to pay more and if Papley does come then Martin is not really a must have player

Its going to be an interesting trade period and not sure if Tony Cochrane is still pulling the strings but if he is it will also be a very colourful period
Methinks you assume too much

Seeing as Carlton currently don’t hold a second round pick in this draft, Carlton probably has to split their current first round pick to get their expected deals done.

Brisbane hold Collingwoods first round pick and Gold Coasts second round pick.

So Brisbane could trade picks 15-18 and pick 19 for Carlton’s first.
Is there something wrong with next years 2nd round pick?

Not that I think it will come to this and the clubs will make the more sensible decision, but do you seriously think GC would refuse to trade with Carlton out of spite and THEN pick him back up if he enters the PSD despite the fact he clearly wants to leave? They already have serious issues with player retention as it is, imagine how it would look if they deliberately re-drafted Martin after refusing to deal with his preferred club. Ridiculous notion IMO
If a deal isn’t reached who’s to say which Side is being unreasonable? The suggestion of an unknown 2nd rounder in a weak draft being good enough are laughable as I am sure pick 8 is from your perspective.
If you get Papley for 8 then you may have to sell next years 1st rounder either directly to us or someone else to get a pick in the teens this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back