Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

If Carlton suddenly 'win' this by neither club finding a trade, why did they try to trade in the first place and not just always aim for the PS draft?

Unless it was to charitably donate a pick to the Suns, they must either be concerned by GC/Melbourne swooping on him, or need to up his offer (ie price on his head) and pay him more than they wanted, which means salary cap cost (and potential flow on effect). If either was the reason during trade period, that reason still exists today.

We wanted to be fair and offer up a reasonable price for an Uncontracted player just like has happened between many clubs before.

GC decided that they needed to take a hard stand and demand overs for him, but even though we were happy to be reasonable and deal with GC, we weren’t going to be pushovers and let hem take advantage of our kindness.

So GC don’t buckle, trade not completed and back up plan activated, getting Martin through the PSD for free

If Carlton suddenly 'win' this by neither club finding a trade, why did they try to trade in the first place and not just always aim for the PS draft?

Unless it was to charitably donate a pick to the Suns, they must either be concerned by GC/Melbourne swooping on him, or need to up his offer (ie price on his head) and pay him more than they wanted, which means salary cap cost (and potential flow on effect). If either was the reason during trade period, that reason still exists today.
I don't think anyone wants to make a habit...or a strategy even of using the PSD (aside from 98% of BF posters).

Even if that is the case he can put 1.8 million for 2 years on his head to scare others off and we will still do it while adding a 3rd and 4th year for 100k. Still only being 2 million over 4 years or 500k a year.

It is going to get done regardless of the fine print and antics.

That would be draft tampering and would come with heavy sanctions.

Nope. Maybe as a supporter on the inside you see something different but I see the same old stuff on the field with the odd run of good form.

Happy to bookmark this for discussion in a couple of years.

I think I am fair when assessing lists. Current results of any side aren't an indication of where a list is heading

But there is a draft and you have to wait for picks infront of you

So its actually not a pointless discussion

Martin cant tamper with that or he will be suspended and not get paid at all and probably fined
O.k i will leave you with this chain of thought that Martin is not allowed to put a price on his own head that ensues he only gets to us as directed by his manager.

Good luck with it though and be sure to send that Email to AFL house as well just for good measure as this is a blatant rule breach now! lol

How so?

We pay the first 2 years as stated to suit what he wants and then sign him on a new deal for bugger all for another 2 years.

The AFL cannot stipulate a players worth and tell clubs what to pay blokes.

Even if that is the case he can put 1.8 million for 2 years on his head to scare others off and we will still do it while adding a 3rd and 4th year for 100k. Still only being 2 million over 4 years or 500k a year.

It is going to get done regardless of the fine print and antics.

Surely there's an easier way? One of Jack's old paper bags still in the secretary's office?

reality is both teams are bottom 4

we will see who rises and who does not

15 Swans
16 Blues
17 Demons
18 Suns

fwiw i think Martin will be a suns or dees player but good luck
Really? You think the Suns would stump up a massive amount for a short term contract?

I think the calmest way through here is for the Blues to do a pick swap in the favour of GC and GC just DFA him.

Would have to be a ‘win’ for Suns in at least one sense - get a higher pick (9). And a win for Blues in another - pay less points Than was offered during the draft period

For example: Blues do a pick swap of 9 and next years second and third
for his years 15 and 20. That’s 2649 roughly out for the Blues. In 2241.
A few Carlton fans in here really struggling to understand GC motives. Let me spell it out for you.

It’s a big giant fu** you to clubs like St Kilda/Adelaide who are already sniffing at first year players carcasses like King and Lukosius. It’s a big giant fu** you to any player who thinks they’ll get drafted to GC earn some quick coin and then get to pick and choose wherever they want whenever they want and it’s an especially big giant fu** you to SOS/Carlton who thought they could give up absolutely fu** all for a former #1 pick who has been incredibly durable and has immense upside.

It’s a statement of intent as a club, it’s a statement that they are fighting and are not going to be push overs any more on or off the field. I like it and I love that Carlton were the recipients.

Both trades (the GC one and the Blues one) included a round two pick. The difference was we offered a future third along with it Vs GC offered a 6 pick round one downgrade.

The points difference of those is nothing. Ie: the trades offered were of equal value in points. But to Blues 9 means a lot because I suspect we will trade it for a future first rounder (perhaps with Freo) with a view to making trades next year (Eg Wines for that pick and our own first rounder). No one is trading a future first for 15. So it mattered a lot to us. To GC they don’t want anything other than top 20 picks because they have so many. Hence they dug their heels in.

Fair enough all round really. s**t happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are gasping at straws aren’t you?
Looking for any ray of hope that we don’t get Martin for free instead of being made to look like trade chumps..

Sign a heavily front loaded 2 year contract with him, after the first year we quietly extend his contract for much less dollars.

How the AFL going to prove that was our intention all along, and more importantly does anyone really think the AFL will kick up a stink about it a year after the hoopla of this drama has died down???

Surely there's an easier way? One of Jack's old paper bags still in the secretary's office?
When all else fails in arguments the Paper Bags come out! lol

The Salt level in here that we are getting Martin for free is off the charts and i am loving it. If anything direct your anger at the Suns for allowing this to happen when refusing virtually free draft picks we offered up.

It is not our fault other clubs are terribly run in matters like this and we take advantage of their ineptness.

How so?

We pay the first 2 years as stated to suit what he wants and then sign him on a new deal for bugger all for another 2 years.

The AFL cannot stipulate a players worth and tell clubs what to pay blokes.
Why would Jack sign for bugger all in the future? Surely another club would offer him 500k or more

When all else fails in arguments the Paper Bags come out! lol

The Salt level in here that we are getting Martin for free is off the charts and i am loving it. If anything direct your anger at the Suns for allowing this to happen when refusing virtually free draft picks we offered up.

It is not our fault other clubs are terribly run in matters like this and we take advantage of their ineptness.

No anger from me bud. Just laugh at Carlton being Carlton.

Read rules 21.3 - 21.4.

I'm not holding your hand through this. Let the big kids handle this one.

You need to post the relevant rule and explain how it applies. Typing a number doesn't qualify as a discussion. It seems i'm the one that needs to hold YOUR hand through this, especially given you were immediately wrong about the 1 year contract offer ;) Talking down to people doesn't make you automatically correct.

Why would Jack sign for bugger all in the future? Surely another club would offer him 500k or more

Let us worry about that.

Essendon are doing practically the same. Seeing out 2020 in the hope Joe "falls back in love" with the club. lol

Let us worry about that.

Essendon are doing practically the same. Seeing out 2020 in the hope Joe "falls back in love" with the club. lol
Joe isn’t going to accept bugger all if he wants to stay at Essendon

You need to post the relevant rule and explain how it applies. Typing a number doesn't qualify as a discussion. It seems i'm the one that needs to hold YOUR hand through this, especially given you were immediately wrong about the 1 year contract offer ;)

You posted the incorrect document.
You quoted the wrong clauses.
You incorrectly categorised Martin's class.

Yet somehow because you can't understand the document you couldn't locate, I'm wrong?

Joe isn’t going to accept bugger all if he wants to stay at Essendon

They are gambling on a year that he will sign back on.

Let us worry about gambling on a year and Martin signing back on.

Difference is Martin's manager is telling the media he wants to be at Carlton. What is Daniher's manager saying?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back