Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

I know but if there is an agreement before the draft to sign a contract for unders is different to getting an offer after he’s drafted and already at the club.

The offer is $1.8mil over 2 years and a contract extension for $400k over 3 years.

How could something that happens after the draft be tampering. What if Martin waits 18 months to extend? Will the AFL come down on us? Doubt it.

You don’t know what our offer is or what any extension would be.

How could something that happens after the draft be tampering. What if Martin waits 18 months to extend? Will the AFL come down on us? Doubt it.

What If, I though Carlton Fan only deal with Fact and nothing but fact.

A prime player like Martin wouldn’t sign an extension for $400k over 3 years. There would be an investigation.

Sure you can wait, but Martin will be getting offers from other clubs, no way he’d sign 400k over 3 years if other clubs are offering $1.5million over 3.

Anyway like I said earlier, Martin won’t have to price himself out of Melbourne’s reach if he is deadset on getting to Carlton, once he tells Melbourne no, Melbourne won’t take him.

A prime player like Martin wouldn’t sign an extension for $400k over 3 years. There would be an investigation.

Sure you can wait, but Martin will be getting offers from other clubs, no way he’d sign 400k over 3 years if other clubs are offering $1.5million over 3.

Anyway like I said earlier, Martin won’t have to price himself out of Melbourne’s reach if he is deadset on getting to Carlton, once he tells Melbourne no, Melbourne won’t take him.

Agree with everything you say there except that we won’t call his name out if he keeps up this “won’t play for anyone but Carlton charade”. As another poster pointed out, Martin has been open to going to the Bombers and Bulldogs previously. He’s demonstrated flexibility in club of choice more than once. If it’s the Demons he’ll have to suck it up like the professional footballer he is and get on with it. “You don’t always get what you want but if you try sometimes ... you can get what you need.”

The Jack Martin situation presents a real litmus test for our club. We should neither be bullied by his manager nor intimidated by the Blues. Also, this notion that the AFL will sit idly by as Carlton try and manipulate/tamper with the draft by front loading money into a two year contract, is fanciful. Watch them do everything legally in their power not to have their baby-on-life-support Gold Coast shafted like that. All it’ll take is a call from Gillon with the threat of sanction and the Blues will back down.

Dees are in the box seat here. I’m quietly confident Martin will become an MFC listed player in 5 weeks time. The breeze is blowing our way on this one.

Stevens is a bad example, he wanted Pies but there were too many interstate teams inbetween Carltons pick and the Pies pick. He wasn't game enough.
Was just going on how determined he was to get to the pies and was very similar banter going on back then on how he only wanted to play for the pies and wouldnt play for another team etc etc .

I think when/If this situation eventuates (which i doubt it will but still a possibility) Player do move on and adapt and play for the new team that drafts them
unfortunately players dont have the loyalty that we supporters have to our team and move on.

1 thing i am sure of is that the AFLPA wont do anything and the player will play

once he tells Melbourne no, Melbourne won’t take him.

His manager has already told you guys this and he said it himself on behalf of Jack who is away still on holidays.

Agree with everything you say there except that we won’t call his name out if he keeps up this “won’t play for anyone but Carlton charade”. As another poster pointed out, Martin has been open to going to the Bombers and Bulldogs previously. He’s demonstrated flexibility in club of choice more than once. If it’s the Demons he’ll have to suck it up like the professional footballer he is and get on with it. “You don’t always get what you want but if you try sometimes ... you can get what you need.”

The Jack Martin situation presents a real litmus test for our club. We should neither be bullied by his manager nor intimidated by the Blues. Also, this notion that the AFL will sit idly by as Carlton try and manipulate/tamper with the draft by front loading money into a two year contract, is fanciful. Watch them do everything legally in their power not to have their baby-on-life-support Gold Coast shafted like that. All it’ll take is a call from Gillon with the threat of sanction and the Blues will back down.

Dees are in the box seat here. I’m quietly confident Martin will become an MFC listed player in 5 weeks time. The breeze is blowing our way on this one.
Yeah he wanted Essendon last year, don’t think he ever wanted to go to the Bulldogs though, they went after him.

I’m not too sure we would call his name, his a great talent but he hasn’t lived up anywhere near what was expected of him as a junior. Sure he is the best uncontracted player available, but at $600k over 4 years is more than his current output. I wouldn’t want to pay that to him if doesn’t want to come. He is though a type of player we need.

Last edited:
His manager has already told you guys this and he said it himself on behalf of Jack who is away still on holidays.
Less than 24 hours after the trade didn’t go through, he’s in Europe, I doubt he has received a proper offer from Melbourne or had the time to even think about it.

Last edited:
Less than 24 hours after the trade didn’t go through, he’s in Europe, I doubt he has received a proper offer from Melbourne all had the time to even think about it.

Ok.

I’m sure his new team mates will be wrapped in that and watch the media pounce about the way Carlton have conducted themselves when that price gets out, if I was a rival Melbourne club I would be in Cripps ear.
Yes they will be so hurt he is earning 900k for 2 years and 300k for the next 2 instead of 600k every year, truly going to tear the team apart my god you are onto it.

New argument? Lol what. Yeah during the trade period he wanted Carlton out of the 3 clubs along with the Bulldogs and Freo that wanted him.

Now Melbourne has entered that have interest in him as he could be available for Free.

That’s the reality, no argument. If he doesn’t want to come to Melbourne we won’t take him, we have 5 weeks to convince him, it’s only been 4 days and he’s in Europe.

Yesssss weeeeee knowww

Then your easily pleased, Carlton’s trade period is resoundingly a disaster and your happy. Lucky you mate

Don’t subscribe sorry. Not getting fleeced a top 10 pick for Martin is a win, not a disaster. Not getting Papley sucks, but it seems SOS had taken care of his end, with the Swans offering Carlton’s pick to Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon there would be ramifications from the AFL if he signed 2 years @ $900K, followed by 3 years @ $133K... as they don't like that sort of manipulation, particularly after the trade fell through.

Will watch with interest.

Ramifications?

For clubs that don't have a tight cap, most players are front loaded heavily, no ramifications with those structured contract, despite being a slightly different scenario, it falls under similar, viable options

Was chatting to a bloke yesterday from the suns and from what I've heard there the attitude is that Martin will be on the suns list in 2020 if he nominates for the PSD. They are taking this all the way and the AFL/Martin knows it.

Was chatting to a bloke yesterday from the suns and from what I've heard there the attitude is that Martin will be on the suns list in 2020 if he nominates for the PSD. They are taking this all the way and the AFL/Martin knows it.

He will nominate for the ND then and Carlton will trade picks to get him there.

He will nominate for the ND then and Carlton will trade picks to get him there.

It appears they'll probably have to end up downgrading 9 anyway. Probably should have just traded with gold coast.

The Blues shafted Jack. They let him down and Jack and his manager would privately be fuming. No doubt about that. When GC wanted Weller they paid overs but accepted they were committed to the player so went with it. I think that experience has left a few GC scars. Clubs desperate for a player often pay overs.
Nominating for the preseason draft for say $700k first year and $200k second year is an obvious attempt at draft tampering and the AFL will not allow it.
If its pre season and the Ds pass no doubt the Ds will be investigated and maybe fined or worse for incompetence.
The only true test of his market value is for him to nominate for the National and take his chances where he goes. Freo, Crows, North or Swans in the 20s would likely be interested. Or maybe Carlton could split pick 9.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back