Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently!

Wasn’t there talk he chose us over the Dogs, on a lesser contract?

If we’re paying him 750 - and I don’t think we are - I’d be very interested to see what the Dogs’ offer was.

Take 200k off the 750 and I’d believe it. Mind you 750 mightn’t be too far off if we’re taking year 1 or 2 of the deal given our cap and ability to front load.

What?
He’s worth a 2nd round pick. The 3rd is overs.
No one is trading a first round pick for a talented but inconsistent 25 year old who is out of contract.
His value is immaterial, Martin has walked is OOC and soon can choose to delist himself not obliged to accept another contract and there ain’t much the Suns can do, if Jack passionately wants to be a Bagger it will happen. Its the way if footy today the old draconian AFL days are over.

LOL

Carlton managed it very poorly and acted in bad faith? Why? Because we didn't cave into GC's over the top demands?

Carlton's offer: 2020 Second Round + 2020 Third Round

GC demands: Pick 9 + 2020 Second Round for/ Martin + Pick 15.

If that's Carlton's best offer, it was rubbish.

His value is immaterial, Martin has walked is OOC and soon can choose to delist himself not obliged to accept another contract and there ain’t much the Suns can do, if Jack passionately wants to be a Bagger it will happen. Its the way if footy today the old draconian AFL days are over.
You know he can’t “delist” himself don’t you?

As an OOC player he can nominate for the national or preseason draft with a nominated contract. Whoever deems it of value drafts the player

FWIW Gleeson and Sam McClure claimed on the AGE trade podcast that Martin was offered $700K by Carlton. WB also offered $700K according to some press. It is speculated Suns paid Martin $650K.

FWIW Gleeson and Sam McClure claimed on the AGE trade podcast that Martin was offered $700K by Carlton. WB also offered $700K according to some press. It is speculated Suns paid Martin $650K.
It's also been reported that GC had him on 700k and that he was going to be playing for less in Melbourne and that the Bulldogs offer significantly trumped ours.

The media love to fluff numbers, be on 600k tops.

What’s dishonest is suggesting a Carlton perspective should not see the value of their future second being anchored to what has actually been their future second for several years running now.

I don’t much care how you rationalise this into being as subjective as your plucking a number straight out of thin air.

Yes, I am positive on the job being done building Carlton’s list. I was last year too, and yet 7 wins was within my projected range. This isn’t a dual stance.

No, sorry, reframe and deflect won’t work either.

Your statements were not with regard to past win totals (a surrogate you’re now attempting to redirect to), they were directly with regard to future draft positions.

The confidence displayed there contradicts your position here, that is a dual stance and one you’re not misdirecting your way out of.

It's pretty obvious that Carlton made an insulting offer for Martin, the kid is a massive talent and they tried it on with a 2nd and 3rd rounder.

Yes, he’s a massive talent, but he hasn’t delivered on the talent - he may end up doing so and that’s what Carlton would be banking on, but to date he hasn’t delivered.

Was dropped from the seniors this year.

You spend high draft picks on talented players in the draft, but each year a player doesn’t deliver on that talent his price drops. Jack’s now halfway through his career.

With a first round draft pick, you want a very good 150 to 200 gamer.

Put it this way - would you prefer to gave up pick 56 for Dan Butler, a very good footballer but fringe at a premiership team, or a first rounder for Jack Martin?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's pretty obvious that Carlton made an insulting offer for Martin, the kid is a massive talent and they tried it on with a 2nd and 3rd rounder.

Agree and I would not be surprised if Martin resigned with the GCS ..
Carlton didn’t want him enough to accept the GCS offer ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Suns didn't even offer him a contract. What does that tell you?

How many time I need to tell you to wait until PSD is over. A confident person don't keep going on and on about the same thing over and over again. Don't get the fear thing, if you 100% sure you get him in PSD why still discuss it here. This place is to discuss other alternative, if not move it back to Carlton board.

Last edited:
No, sorry, reframe and deflect won’t work either.

Your statements were not with regard to past win totals (a surrogate you’re now attempting to redirect to), they were directly with regard to future draft positions.

The confidence displayed there contradicts your position here, that is a dual stance and one you’re not misdirecting your way out of.

Here is my original comment.

“It was pick 9 and a future second rounder, which for Carlton the last few years has consistently been circa 19-22.”

I’m not sure what other statements you’re talking about. Perhaps you can provide them.

I’m bullish on the Blues every year. I’m also realistic enough to understand there’s a spectrum of possibilities, including a repeat of the false starts we’ve had the last couple of seasons.

Here is my original comment.

“It was pick 9 and a future second rounder, which for Carlton the last few years has consistently been circa 19-22.”

I’m not sure what other statements you’re talking about. Perhaps you can provide them.

I’m bullish on the Blues every year. I’m also realistic enough to understand there’s a spectrum of possibilities, including a repeat of the false starts we’ve had the last couple of seasons.
Does it matter anymore if you going to get him in PSD. Collingwood don't talk much of Luke Ball before drafting him in PSD draft. We can discuss more if Martin somehow not in Carlton after PSD. Right now just assume Martin is Carlton bound and other club fans can't give alternative opinions or their view.

Last edited:
Really? Jack Martin isn’t a free agent. The Suns don’t have to rollover for an inadequate trade offer. GC totally within their rights not to trade if not in their best interests.

Just as we don’t have to roll over because the AFL pulled out the most ridiculous handout package ever seen.

Is it just me, or has this been a refreshing trade period and a win for clubs? Players aren't getting to clubs they request, clubs are holding firm and refusing to budge on under's just because the player is out of contract. It would be another win for the AFL and clubs sending a message to players if Melbourne got him in the PSD and misses out on Carlton.

Is it just me, or has this been a refreshing trade period and a win for clubs? Players aren't getting to clubs they request, clubs are holding firm and refusing to budge on under's just because the player is out of contract. It would be another win for the AFL and clubs sending a message to players if Melbourne got him in the PSD and misses out on Carlton.
It's just you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back