Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Skull Face

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2019
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
I only keep posting because I keep getting notifications of people replying to my posts. All my posts are replying back to people replying to me. Such as this one. I’m not coming on here posting random posts all the time.

I stated, GC didn’t accept the trade offer knowing they had pick one. It was reported that the Suns and Jack were to have a meeting this week. It would not Surprise me if they offered him a one year deal allowing him to be a free agent and the club can get something in return , Jack knows they have pick one and he doesn’t want to get stuck there on a long term deal.
So you believe they will, glad we could finally sort that one out.

So you believe they will, glad we could finally sort that one out.
I don’t know if they will, just wouldn’t be surprised. Glad you’ve worked out what I’ve been saying all along.

You are trolling then, I knew we would get there in the end.
Trolling? Lol, how so? Just because you say it?

I haven’t had a crack at any club or poster on here. Simply put something the Suns could do and should do in my opinion, it hasn’t been reported anywhere that the Suns will do that, just something I thought they could do.

you think it’s trolling?
Sorry if I’ve offended or upset you Skull Face, I apologise.

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Hmmm. GC, Carlton and Melbourne fans niggling at each other over a player they all want.
Carlton because they want Martin and he wants them.
GC because they want him, but he doesn’t want them, so his new suitor (Carlton) has to pay.
Melbourne because they want him for nothing (but he doesn’t want them).

BF love triangle at its best!!

Feb 19, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Trolling? Lol, how so? Just because you say it?

I haven’t had a crack at any club or poster on here. Simply put something the Suns could do and should do in my opinion, it hasn’t been reported anywhere that the Suns will do that, just something I thought they could do.

you think it’s trolling?
Sorry if I’ve offended or upset you Skull Face, I apologise.

Hey is this the old Monty Python 5 minute argument or the full half hour

How meta. If the best thing you can think of is to make a post about someone else's posting, then please just don't bother.

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
TheBoss the players are employed by the AFL and contracted out to the clubs.

Think of the AFL as a labour hire agency. You go get a job with the labour hire agency and they send you out to various employers. The company you get sent to still has all of the duty of care requirements that a normal employee has, but they can move you on with c. 24hrs notice.

Back on topic.

GC are mad not to just resign/redraft him and trade him out next year (or get the FA compo).

He’s the best available player in the PSD, makes them a better side over the next 12 months and they can go again trying to trade him next year.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Think of the AFL as a labour hire agency. You go get a job with the labour hire agency and they send you out to various employers. The company you get sent to still has all of the duty of care requirements that a normal employee has, but they can move you on with c. 24hrs notice.

Back on topic.

GC are mad not to just resign/redraft him and trade him out next year (or get the FA compo).

He’s the best available player in the PSD, makes them a better side over the next 12 months and they can go again trying to trade him next year.

Suns are fully entitled to do that, and assuming if they do (not convinced they will), Carlton should cut their losses and walk away. Not going to lose any sleep if we don't get him, he isn't worth what his contract asking price is if he goes into the PSD anyway.

But it does seem certain now he is going into the PSD, think the cut off date to nominate for the ND is Monday.

Suns are fully entitled to do that, and assuming if they do (not convinced they will), Carlton should cut their losses and walk away. Not going to lose any sleep if we don't get him, he isn't worth what his contract asking price is if he goes into the PSD anyway.

But it does seem certain now he is going into the PSD, think the cut off date to nominate for the ND is Monday.
Or Martin re-signs a 1 year deal with GC to take him through to free agency.

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Eddie is a champion of the game, but he’s cooked mate.

Will pull some stuff out of his arse from time to time, but his days as a 40 goal a year forward are well behind him.
Carlton aren’t expecting Eddie to kick 40 goals. In fact, only two small forwards - Cameron and Walters, who had career best years, kicked 40 goals or more in 2019.

25-30 goals and mentoring our young forwards and indigenous players is why we recruited Eddie.

Eddie is a lower risk than Bennell, who many Melbourne fans, yourself included, are hoping to get for nothing.

Will be extra nice when Martin walks to us for a pittance as well.

Last edited:

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
Carlton aren’t expecting Eddie to kick 40 goals. In fact, only Cameron and Walters, who had career best years, kicked 40 goals or more in 2019.

25-30 goals and mentoring our young forwards and indigenous players is why we recruited Eddie.

Eddie is a lower risk than Bennell, who many Melbourne fans, yourself included, are hoping to get for nothing.

Bennell is a free hit, and I agree much more risk but for much more reward. Not that Bennell has anything to do with the post from the fan boi I was replying to.

Notwithstanding, Eddie in my mind will kick a goal a game and play maybe 15 matches. He’ll certainly be worth it

Carlton aren’t expecting Eddie to kick 40 goals. In fact, only Cameron and Walters, who had career best years, kicked 40 goals or more in 2019.

Pittance! The only thing Pittance you'll get is Martin's contribution. Ordinary player asking for huge money.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton

It’s a reasonable, but untested, argument. Being that an uncontracted player doesn’t have the option of signing with a competitor, at competitive rates, the courts may not consider these scenarios at all analogous.

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s a reasonable, but untested, argument. Being that an uncontracted player doesn’t have the option of signing with a competitor, at competitive rates, the courts may not consider these scenarios at all analogous.
But he’s not working for Carlton or GC, he’s working for the AFL. If he chooses not to go to work at the company (the club) his employer (the AFL) nominates (the draft etc) then he gets to resign as an AFL player.

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
Let's say Jack Martin has been told by the Suns that they will re-draft him in the PSD for arguments sake.

I'm not really clear on the rules, but could Martin 'retire'? I know this is weird as he is OoC, but he then may be able to be picked up in the pre-season supplementary selection period? Shane Mumford was and he was retired. Is there any requirement that the player has nominated for the most recent draft or is it simply up to the AFL to tick off anyone who wishes to be listed this way?

Obviously this is a s**t show of a way to get to your club of choice, but a possibility? Carlton could rookie list him, pay him whatever they see fit and then just elevate him the next year.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
But he’s not working for Carlton or GC, he’s working for the AFL. If he chooses not to go to work at the company (the club) his employer (the AFL) nominates (the draft etc) then he gets to resign as an AFL player.
That argument wouldn't hold up in court. Whether someone is "employed" is not as simple as the words in their contract.

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
That argument wouldn't hold up in court. Whether someone is "employed" is not as simple as the words in their contract.
Absolutely it holds up. It’s done every day with contract labour hire companies.

Provided he’s being paid the agreed salary and other conditions and the workplace is safe then it’s completely fair and reasonable.

The only thing I’d question is the provision for geographically disadvantaged. As an example an employer can move your office at its discretion, provided it’s within 50km (or some such distance) from your employing office as listed in your contract.

Back