Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I like Brodie, but not sure how he gets a game with us. We have Setterfield playing his exact role, and Kennedy in the 2's.

Our midfield is: Cripps (24), Walsh (18), Dow (19), SPS (21), Fisher (21), Setterfield (21) - with Kennedy (22) and Stocker (19) waiting in the wings.

Thats 8 players, 6 of whom were drafted over the past 3 drafts. I'm not sure we have room for a 9th young mid.

What we would like is a gun half forward/ small forward, who can go through the middle (when Cripps or whomever is resting forward).

Ideally Congilio as a F/A, but if that cant be done, Martin would do.

I think Martin will cost us too much in terms of a trade with The Sun's Mal, they would want more (I assume) than The Crows 1st pick this year for him, and that is about all I would want to pay for him.

Already we can see the Chickens coming home to roost for Essendon and Hawthorn by overpaying for Shiel and Wingate.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think Martin will cost us too much in terms of a trade with The Sun's Mal, they would want more (I assume) than The Crows 1st pick this year for him, and that is about all I would want to pay for him.

Already we can see the Chickens coming home to roost for Essendon and Hawthorn by overpaying for Shiel and Wingate.
I can see your point but why would GCS want to weaken their own team with just one first round pick from Carlton , yes without Martin GCS get pick 1 in 2020 but nobody want wooden spoon .

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I can see your point but why would GCS want to weaken their own team with just one first round pick from Carlton , yes without Martin GCS get pick 1 in 2020 but nobody want wooden spoon .

This is part of the reason it's highly unlikely Martin will end up at Carlton, we are not in a position to give up enough decent picks to satisfy The Suns.

Also I think Sexton is your best player currently, vastly underrated player (as is probably Swallow)

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
This is part of the reason it's highly unlikely Martin will end up at Carlton, we are not in a position to give up enough decent picks to satisfy The Suns.

Also I think Sexton is your best player currently, vastly underrated player (as is probably Swallow)
Sexton is overated , when hot he is good , but when this gone bad he is invisible . Hall V2 playing in a different position .

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's really down to 'who he nominates' though (like it is every year).

If he nominates Carlton, a 1st and some late change will do for an uncontracted player who hasnt really lived up to his potential.

Still a good player, but a little inconsistent.

I'd consider our future 1st if Adelaides is too high for the Suns by the end of the year, but only if they flicked us a second rounder back this year (we currently dont have ours due to trading it out for Setterfield). Every chance our future 1st is a very good (6ish) pick again.
You're dreaming. A unknown pick for an established quality player. Carlton should be moving uo the ladder in 2020 everything being equal. A second round pick in 2019 as well? More chance Donald Trump wins a popularity contest in Mexico.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
You're dreaming. A unknown pick for an established quality player. Carlton should be moving uo the ladder in 2020 everything being equal. A second round pick in 2019 as well? More chance Donald Trump wins a popularity contest in Mexico.

A first round pick and a later pick swap is ample for an uncontracted player of his talent that has nominated a club.

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

I’ll pay Hawthorn and Wingard but not sure I buy Essendon overpaying for Shiel. We’re about 10% of the way through his contract and he’s looked somewhere between good and AA all year. His disposal suffered a bit for a while (not as much as was made of it in the media) but he was very clean against Freo. Assuming the bombers finish mid table it’s two picks around 10 for Shiel and a middle 30s pick, pretty fair trade I reckon, can’t just stockpile top draft picks for ever and expect them to turn into a competent team.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bulldogs have money
Bulldogs have enormous cap space, a huge need for a skilled, quick half-forward and also our 2020 1st rounder to play with (since we have a really good academy kid coming through).

If Martin was exploring his options outside of GC and WA, I'd be shocked if we weren't asking questions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I want him but think we will finish too low that our first pick would be overs so would need something back in return for it on top of Martin
A lot of option for Martin and GCS, I don't think GCS need to give something back at all. Worse case scenario he stay for another 2 year.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A lot of option for Martin and GCS, I don't think GCS need to give something back at all. Worse case scenario he stay for another 2 year.
North is looking at something like Pick 2 or 3. Martin is obviously talented, but no way is he worth that price. I think he's likely to go for something closer to Pick 10, so North would probably trade down with someone in order to keep a later 1st as well as grab Martin if anything

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
North is looking at something like Pick 2 or 3. Martin is obviously talented, but no way is he worth that price. I think he's likely to go for something closer to Pick 10, so North would probably trade down with someone in order to keep a later 1st as well as grab Martin if anything
That is what North need to do, GCS and Martin don't need to do anything for North if they want Martin. If Bulldog/ other club give GCS pick 8- 11 for Martin why would you want to negotiate with North and waste time giving something back.

Last edited:

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
No, worst case scenario is that he walks out on the club, if they don't play ball with a club that Martin nominates, and he enters the draft and GCS gets nothing.
Dare him and the club he nominated. Adelaide got pick 1, GC got pick 2 or three. I'm not sure why Martin want to go to Vic club like Carlton or North just to finish at bottom 5, don't different to GCS.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Martin would be crazy to go to North, St Kilda, Carlton - all bottom teams.

Before the season started I would bet o him leaving. Now I am leaning towards re-signing. I have never seen him so happy, involved in Suns videos, go to podcast. He even presented didgeridoo to Rankine this week :) He would never do that in the past. Harbrow has very close relationship with Martin and him almost giving it up last year had effect on Martin. Now Harbrow turned from almost retiring to play as long as possible. I can only imagine Martin would hate life in Melbourne. He loves outdoors, is shy. Here on GC he goes every week with indigenous players spear fishing, cooking on open fire, just 5 min from the club.

Suns need to continue showing positive signs in their development in the 2nd half of the season.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Dogs apparently interested. Makes a lot of sense considering our list needs and sudden massive increase in cap space

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/05...p-midfielder-and-star-sun-in-potential-trade/
I suspect both our clubs will be making some pretty extravagant offers this year to our main trade targets.

Yours because of the Boyd money, and ours if the likes of Roberton, Armitage (final year of a lucrative deal) and Paddy retire. On a PA basis (so depends on how their contracts are structured), those 3 would be on at least $1.5mil.

Then a whole lot more if Steven happens to either retire from footy, or seek and receive a trade to Geelong (close to family and friends etc).

Back