Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thanks for you reply to help me understand his form.
Great tackle count for a forward/mid of late then.

I'd be fine with pick 8-10 in a weaker draft.
This was for the first time he played full time inside. He still learns craft there I think. Some of his disposal were very ordinary. Also not sure if he has a tank for it. Always tackles hard. I like him 50/50 midfield/forward.

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Needs a fresh start ala roughead and dahl for us. I think we are from of the queue to landing him.. Would our 2nd round pick get it done?

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I doubt it.

Presently he is worth closer to our second than our first. Realistically mid late teens particularly when factoring in that he is out of contract.

Would like him just not P6 like him.

I'd look at Toby McLean if I was GC. Doubt many Dogs fans would like that. But we need to rebalance and lose some mids to get some fwds.

Dogs would nearly be justified in wanting something plus for the younger and till this season more consistent McLean. Possibly. Having just been dropped McLean may even be open to move.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Presently he is worth closer to our second than our first. Realistically mid late teens particularly when factoring in that he is out of contract.

I'd look at Toby McLean if I was GC. Doubt many Dogs fans would like that. But we need to rebalance and lose some mids to get some fwds.

Dogs would nearly be justified in wanting something plus for the younger and till this season more consistent McLean. Possibly. Having just been dropped McLean may even be open to move.
If Brisbane finished top 4, you gave GC pick 6 and GC give you Brisbane Pick and some future pick swap for Martin. As much I like McLean I don't think he want to come. If he dropped by Bulldog I don't think he can help GCS who had a lot of the same type that just want retirement fund.

GC get pick 6.
Bulldog get Martin and a late first round.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal

Would love Mclean, but I some how doubt we could pick him up unless we could really give him a massive sell. Would be in our first rotation of midfielders easily.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots

I would agree with that. Mid teens is what GC would probably take.

They would absolutely take McLean if he was gettable. GC still crying out for mid depth.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
hopefully we don't waste our top 10 pick for this, Aaron Hall is much more experience with better skill and he only costs 450k.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
The fact that he was a highly rated Jr does add something to his trade value.
In what world was Gibbs worth what we paid?
Maybe a little bit but 7 seasons in, what the player can actually at AFL level do is far more important than what his talent promised when he was 17/18.

Gibbs was much better at Carlton than he has been for you. I have no idea why though.

8kua

Draftee
Jul 6, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Is he even that? Who is better, him or Watts? What did he go for? 30odd?
So if that is the case what is the price for Blakely, Langdon,Tucker in open market, just like Martin they are all out of contract. All of them should be around crozier and Balic pick.

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Looking like a 2nd rounder for Martin? Would gladly offer it as with our inside mids getting the ball out to space I think he can thrive with us

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
So if that is the case what is the price for Blakely, Langdon,Tucker in open market, just like Martin they are all out of contract. All of them should be around crozier and Balic pick.
Not sure how that is relevant? If you disagree with my rating of Martin put up your counter argument. I chose Watts because he has actually been traded and was similarly rated as a junior.

The fact that he was a highly rated Jr does add something to his trade value.
In what world was Gibbs worth what we paid?
You guys basically paid, pick 10, 16 and received Gibbs and pick 19(2018). That seems kind of fair for a good midfielder in his prime. Don’t think Adelaide paid anything because he went number 1 10 years earlier.

We also gave up our second rounder as well.
Yeah true, and there were 3rd and 4th involved too.

But point is Adelaide didn’t pay extra because he was a pick 1 10 years earlier. They paid because they were getting a quality player in his prime while Adelaide were in a premiership window.

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
Play him on a fwd flank in a top 8 team with a strong midfield and watch him explode.
The guy is a 30+ goal a season player at the right club.
Great lead, strong mark and can crumb the ball as well. Just never had that opportunity consistently with us.

Been played in defence, up forward, body bashed through the midfield to try and cover our deficiencies in a team that only wins a handful of games a year.

Just let him roam around up forward. He will be a match winner at the right club, which frustratingly isn’t ours for a few years yet.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah true, and there were 3rd and 4th involved too.

But point is Adelaide didn’t pay extra because he was a pick 1 10 years earlier. They paid because they were getting a quality player in his prime while Adelaide were in a premiership window.
For a player who had never won a AA jumper and is only a BF once in a poor team, and 29 years of age, massive overs were paid.
Rory Laird is a far better player than Gibbs, far younger and achieved more in the game, can you see a club giving up to firsts for him? Laird was off the rookie list, while Gibbs was pick one. No doubt the fact he was taken at number 1 adds some value to his price.

For a player who had never won a AA jumper and is only a BF once in a poor team, and 29 years of age, massive overs were paid.
Rory Laird is a far better player than Gibbs, far younger and achieved more in the game, can you see a club giving up to firsts for him? Laird was off the rookie list, while Gibbs was pick one. No doubt the fact he was taken at number 1 adds some value to his price.
No one forced Adelaide to trade for Gibbs, Adelaide paid a fair price for a player they wanted help push them to a premiership.

Why would Adelaide rip themselves off, because he was taken number 1 over 10 years earlier. That is ridiculous. Port didn’t pay overs because Jack Watts went number 1.

Back