Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Expect Martin will re-sign a 1 year deal, then leave next year as a free agent.

At this stage, it could be GCS’ best option rather than lose him for nada. Seems a slim chance to eventuate though. The noise that Martin’s keen to move hasn’t changed and relevant parties still confident he’s getting to the Blues.

Funny part is GCS would get less in FA compo than they would’ve in doing the trade with Carlton in the first place.

Principled over pragmatic isn’t smart business practice, so GCS would want to be sure the “message” they’ve paid to get out, of how they’re now a strong club at the negotiating table, has been an effective one.

SOSforPM

All Australian
Oct 20, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
T
I honestly don’t know.

I’ve stated GC would be f***** stupid to let him walk after not getting a trade. They knew they had pick one in the draft so it makes me think they aren’t going to let him walk for nothing. But I don’t know

I’ve also said Melbourne should select him if he’s there at pick 2 and they can afford him. I don’t know if they can though.

They might be stupid for letting him go for free. Wouldn’t they also be stupid picking someone up on 600k that has stated they do not want to be there?

Would that not be better used trying to get some of their young talent to sign on?

200k extra over two years times by 3 might get you 3 extra signatures. I would take that as a fan over making a stupid stance.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
No I haven’t, I’ve said I don’t see why they would make a stand not trading him only to let him walk for nothing on the draft when they have pick 1.
I’ve said they’ll look stupid if Jack leaves and they get nothing for him.

I’ve said Melbourne should take him if they can afford him if GC don’t take him. Why would I be saying my club should take him if I’m saying he won’t be available at their pick?

I don’t know what GC are going to do, I do know they’ll look like fools if they get nothing for him.
Ha you've set yourself up very nicely haven't you? No matter what the outcome you can't lose. I would suggest you don't have to answer every Carlton poster with the same answer if your not trolling. Carlton offered Gold Coast more for Martin than what they'll get for free agency on current output, so they could have been rewarded for losing him.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I accused Carlton of intentionally performing worse with a view to holding out their hand for extra priority picks in this draft

Lol. Amazing stuff this.

So we were intentionally losing games, then decided to actually win, and still managed to beat your lads and get more wins in the back half than Freo? Says more about your club than ours with that accusation.

Ha you've set yourself up very nicely haven't you? No matter what the outcome you can't lose. I would suggest you don't have to answer every Carlton poster with the same answer if your not trolling. Carlton offered Gold Coast more for Martin than what they'll get for free agency on current output, so they could have been rewarded for losing him.
Can’t lose? What hell am I supposed to be winning or losing at? I’m just stating what I think the Suns should do. Why are you making this a battle with me?

You keep coming back responding to me with the same stuff about they could of accepted the trade offer. You don’t have to keep responding. You must be trolling right?

If the Suns get band 2 for Martin, is that end of first round? They’ll probably think that’s more than what they got offered. Currently they have nothing for him though.

T

They might be stupid for letting him go for free. Wouldn’t they also be stupid picking someone up on 600k that has stated they do not want to be there?

Would that not be better used trying to get some of their young talent to sign on?

200k extra over two years times by 3 might get you 3 extra signatures. I would take that as a fan over making a stupid stance.
Depends, they already signed King and most of their other young players up, so $600k to them for a year might be worth getting some compensation instead of nothing

SOSforPM

All Australian
Oct 20, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Depends, they already signed King and most of their other young players up, so $600k to them for a year might be worth getting some compensation instead of nothing
They just got a stack of compensation for zero...Wouldn’t you rather give the money to lukosius, Rowell and Anderson over even more compensation. Well I would if I had the option.

Also they just got offered a second and third next year already. Can you see free agency compo being more than that going off the Ellis example?

They just got a stack of compensation for zero...Wouldn’t you rather give the money to lukosius, Rowell and Anderson over even more compensation. Well I would if I had the option.

Also they just got offered a second and third next year already. Can you see free agency compo being more than that going off the Ellis example?
With the compo picks they got given I’m happy for them to lose him for nothing.

All those players are signed for next year though so if they have the cap space to sign him for a year then get compensated for him, or even change his mind to sign long term (unlikely I know)

Yes the could of accepted the trade offer, but they weren’t happy with it and made a stand against clubs thinking they can take their players for little, now they are going to let him go for nothing? It doesn’t make sense.

Not sure what Ellis got in compo, but Martin would be restricted, GC could still force a trade

SOSforPM

All Australian
Oct 20, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
With the compo picks they got given I’m happy for them to lose him for nothing.

All those players are signed for next year though so if they have the cap space to sign him for a year then get compensated for him, or even change his mind to sign long term (unlikely I know)

Yes the could of accepted the trade offer, but they weren’t happy with it and made a stand against clubs thinking they can take their players for little, now they are going to let him go for nothing? It doesn’t make sense.

Not sure what Ellis got in compo, but Martin would be restricted, GC could still force a trade

Well it’s a contradiction isn’t it?!?!
Didn’t want to accept a second and third for zero salary cap...but now they are going to use 1.2m cap space (draft or pre season draft contacts are two years.) for a player that doesn’t want to be there just to get a chance at a end of first round compo pick at best. Come on what are you arguing???

If they are contracted forward exiting contracts and use it to extend them later on.

Well it’s a contradiction isn’t it?!?!
Didn’t want to accept a second and third for zero salary cap...but now they are going to use 1.2m cap space (draft or pre season draft contacts are two years.) for a player that doesn’t want to be there just to get a chance at a end of first round compo pick at best. Come on what are you arguing???

If they are contracted forward exiting contracts and use it to extend them later on.
They can trade him next year if it’s a 2 year contract, but I suggested earlier if Martin doesn’t want to get stuck there on a multi year deal sign a 1 year contract and become a free agent next year.

TwiggleyFanClub

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Regardless of the details (because TBH I'm bored AF hearing the to and fro for the 957th time...), it seems a bit counterintuitive that an employee without a current contract with his employer (the club) can be still bound to them by the AFL.
If the terms of registration as a player in the AFL are another contract, it would be interesting (for me at least) if any contract lawyers reading BF would consider the Jack Martin situation as restraint of trade (stopping someone from forming a contract with the employer of choice), or duress (forcing a player to form a contract with an employer they don't want to go to)?
Does voluntarily registering with the AFL automatically remove the issue of duress for anything the AFL chooses to do to them while they are registered?

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes, ou rpick will effectively be pick #1 but there will be two passess before us and 15 afterwards
The PSD itself, and right of a club to participate, doesn’t exist unless approved by AFL in that year. A club that isn‘t participating can’t pass on a selection it never had the right to utilise in the first place.

Skull Face

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2019
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
People are responding, this is a forum isn’t it? I’m allowed respond back aren’t I? You did not have to respond to me if you didn’t want to.
Carlton posters are telling me I’m on anti Carlton and Carlton must of upset me in the past lol, I’m just responding saying no I’ve said nothing against Carlton, I’m simply saying what GC and Melbourne should do.

I get Carlton posters having a go about bruise free footy and Melbourne falling from a prelim, trying to rile me up lol, they can say whatever they want off topic I don’t care. I’m not the one having a crack at an opposing club.

I’m staying on topic, I keep getting responses and I’m responding back. No one has to respond to me if they are getting riled up about my opinion on what the Gold Coast should do, or my opinion on saying there would be no problem if Melbourne select Jack. This isn’t the Carlton board. I’m discussing about a Gold Coast player
Forget all the gobbledy goop, I don't care for any of that. There is only 2 possible reasons for the way you are posting in here, you either believe GC will do the things you say or you are trolling.

Pick one and stick to it, I am happy to just label you as a troll if you refuse to state otherwise.

TheBoss

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

The Suns would not do it for compo - hell, the AFL might ditch compo picks in 2020.

The primary motivator to taking Martin in the PSD would be to spite Carlton for not trading in good faith.

TheBoss

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Regardless of the details (because TBH I'm bored AF hearing the to and fro for the 957th time...), it seems a bit counterintuitive that an employee without a current contract with his employer (the club) can be still bound to them by the AFL.
If the terms of registration as a player in the AFL are another contract, it would be interesting (for me at least) if any contract lawyers reading BF would consider the Jack Martin situation as restraint of trade (stopping someone from forming a contract with the employer of choice), or duress (forcing a player to form a contract with an employer they don't want to go to)?
Does voluntarily registering with the AFL automatically remove the issue of duress for anything the AFL chooses to do to them while they are registered?

The whole 'restraint of trade' regarding player contracts is a massive can of worms, and I'd love to hear an expert weigh in.

In my layman's view, I think the AFL Draft is a restraint of trade of too. Why should an 18 year old kid not be allowed to negotiate a contract directly with their club of choice???

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Adios SOS. Paid the price for botching trade week and rightly so.

Welcome to the Dees, Jack Martin.

Melbourne has literally nothing to offer that would convince Martin to join them (as far as We know) Either Gold Coast redrafts him, or he will head to Carlton, it is what it is.

Forget all the gobbledy goop, I don't care for any of that. There is only 2 possible reasons for the way you are posting in here, you either believe GC will do the things you say or you are trolling.

Pick one and stick to it, I am happy to just label you as a troll if you refuse to state otherwise.
I only keep posting because I keep getting notifications of people replying to my posts. All my posts are replying back to people replying to me. Such as this one. I’m not coming on here posting random posts all the time.

I stated, GC didn’t accept the trade offer knowing they had pick one. It was reported that the Suns and Jack were to have a meeting this week. It would not Surprise me if they offered him a one year deal allowing him to be a free agent and the club can get something in return , Jack knows they have pick one and he doesn’t want to get stuck there on a long term deal.

Back