Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sacked, pushed out, resign so they don't sack you. It's the same thing if he's not at Carlton next year.

The other option is leaving because you want a change, leaving because you no longer enjoy the job or the workplace or colleagues.

It is very much Silvagni's decision. No way is he being turfed out.

Firstly, I don’t see any difference between contracted or uncontracted. If a player wants out, they want out and they get traded to their club of choice only if the original club accepts the deal offered. All trading isn’t restricted until a player is either a full FA or delisted. So deals need to be done and players can be re-drafted, it’s the only leverage the selling club has. Secondly, I think I’m burnt out on departing players. If players want out to the city of Melbourne, there’s numerous clubs they can go to. I don’t like them acting like UFAs and expecting to get to a single club regardless of the deal offered to purchase them. Maybe they’d earn $20k/year less at a club who’ll put something on the table that will be accepted. It’s not like they’re innocent victims of a flawed system, they’ve potentially put a guaranteed transfer to their city of choice at risk due to their own greed. I wanted us to re-draft Tippett and I would have done the same with Danger if it got to that. Players acting like UFAs that aren’t s**t me. I guess I’ve seen more than my fair share.
I mean, there's an obvious difference between uncontracted and contracted - you can't even nominate for the PSD if you're contracted to a club. Further, I completely understand the current the way the AFL process works but I do think it is flawed and will probably be subject to legal challenge in the coming years if a player is ever redrafted in the PSD by a club against their wishes (just like the NRL's near-identical system was invalidated in the 90s in NSWRL v Adamson). Who gives a toss what a club (who is nothing more than a corporate entity propped up by the AFL) loses in terms of leveraging power when you're dealing with people who have seen out all the terms of their contract and acted in good faith toward their club. That a player is still beholden to their employer even once their contract has been fulfilled and has expired is an absurd notion not observed elsewhere in the Australian professional environment.
A player should be able to seek better pay and terms of employment after they have fulfilled their contract because a) there no longer exists a contractual instrument that is legally-binding upon them and b) AFL players (even the best) only have around 10 years at the top (earning pennies compared to other sports stars) and are then tossed to the wayside having spent the best years of their life screwing their bodies up instead of earning a higher-education degree, trade etc.
I find it quite astounding that fans sit and complain about how clubs should have more leverage/players are greedy/a certain player should be re-drafted despite fulfilling the terms of their contract when they would be disgusted if their employer tried to prevent them from seeking a better job offer in such a way. Really, what I think needs to happen is a reduction in the 8 year rule re. free agency. Clubs don't need ongoing leverage when the departure of a player frees up so much cap space and they receive a draft pick in return. It's absurd that players need to stick with a club for 8+ years before being able to freely exercise the power to work for another club without the risk of being re-drafted in the PSD to some completely alternative part of the country. Further, I think its pretty poor form that you would wish something like that upon someone who wants to make the most amount of money they can playing AFL in a part of Australia they want to live in, especially when all of us would probably do the same if we received a better offer of employment from another rival company (particularly if our current company was a shambles, like GC).

The other option is leaving because you want a change, leaving because you no longer enjoy the job or the workplace or colleagues.

It is very much Silvagni's decision. No way is he being turfed out.
BF could implode with this sensible talk. Be careful.

I was reading the Dees board yesterday, and a poster made a reference to a comment The Ox made last week about Martin refusing to play for The Dees specifically because of one Steven May and what happened whilst both were on the Gold Coast.
Assuming this is true (wonder if other Suns fans here know about it), you cannot blame Martin at all for refusing to have anything to do with May anymore or The Demons.

I was reading the Dees board yesterday, and a poster made a reference to a comment The Ox made last week about Martin refusing to play for The Dees specifically because of one Steven May and what happened whilst both were on the Gold Coast.
Assuming this is true (wonder if other Suns fans here know about it), you cannot blame Martin at all for refusing to have anything to do with May anymore or The Demons.

The rumour is that May had relations with Martins ex or current partner at the time... personally I don't think there is anything to it, as there are photos on May's Insta that JM has recently liked. You don't follow and like photos of someone that legged your ex/missus.

It basically comes down to Jack wanting to be in the Carlton environment (and not Melbourne's) which I think we can pin on; Carlton having salary cap for years, the recruitment of Eddie, a strong indigenous culture, JM seeing opportunities on the field with us and the direction our club is seemingly trending.

I hope JM can thrive and deliver on his talent at Carlton. Despite the upfront cash, he really is a free hit if/when we get him. We simply had to use our salary cap space or use it elsewhere (jack up existing contracts) or it would go to waste. We have been banking the cap space for years and missed out on Papley, so JM gets it. So be it, he costs nothing in terms of draft capital which is a super result in the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

....by Carlton supporters if Martin becomes a Blue

....by every other opposition poster, should it not come about.

It can only be one or the other. It won't be both. :)
I think all the opposition supporters who huffed and puffed for the last month have been blown away.

I think all the opposition supporters who huffed and puffed for the last month have been blown away.
....by Carlton supporters if Martin becomes a Blue

....by every other opposition poster, should it not come about.

It can only be one or the other. It won't be both. :)

I wouldnt be counting on this too much just yet as you will find that it then gets into the next phase , Soon as martin plays bad games or has issue's
Watch out as thats when it catches fire again - Trust me we remember it well (Yarran/Houli/Grigg)

I wouldnt be counting on this too much just yet as you will find that it then gets into the next phase , Soon as martin plays bad games or has issue's
Watch out as thats when it catches fire again - Trust me we remember it well (Yarran/Houli/Grigg)
Premierships = the last laugh.

I don't have personal knowledge of details of this situation but people on our board have posted openly with these sentiments. Steven May was previously engaged, he was subsequently no longer engaged in the year or so before he decided to leave the GC. May was also not the most popular amongst the partners of Suns players in particular. Don't know if this has anything to do with Martin but you could say his off field behaviour wasn't necessarily adored..

The rumour is that May had relations with Martins ex or current partner at the time... personally I don't think there is anything to it, as there are photos on May's Insta that JM has recently liked. You don't follow and like photos of someone that legged your ex/missus.

It basically comes down to Jack wanting to be in the Carlton environment (and not Melbourne's) which I think we can pin on; Carlton having salary cap for years, the recruitment of Eddie, a strong indigenous culture, JM seeing opportunities on the field with us and the direction our club is seemingly trending.

I hope JM can thrive and deliver on his talent at Carlton. Despite the upfront cash, he really is a free hit if/when we get him. We simply had to use our salary cap space or use it elsewhere (jack up existing contracts) or it would go to waste. We have been banking the cap space for years and missed out on Papley, so JM gets it. So be it, he costs nothing in terms of draft capital which is a super result in the end.

Martin will thrive as Bagger, and show the footy world his elite attributes.
We can thank Stephen Silvagni for getting him across.

I don't have personal knowledge of details of this situation but people on our board have posted openly with these sentiments. Steven May was previously engaged, he was subsequently no longer engaged in the year or so before he decided to leave the GC. May was also not the most popular amongst the partners of Suns players in particular. Don't know if this has anything to do with Martin but you could say his off field behaviour wasn't necessarily adored..

The way one carries themselves should be straight forward enough , but humans are complex and difficult social beings at the best of times.
Maturity and professionalism takes time to develop fir some.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back