Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

Question for Carlton's fans. Do you think that SOS would make the same decision next time? I personally doubt. He was genuinely shocked that Suns did not accept his offer. It was very stressful time for Martin and his partner. You don't want a player you trying to get to go through PSD. This is the last thing players want to go through. Not good image for future trades.

I think his reaction was more in regard to Papley. That's one part of the trade period I think he got wrong - he clearly thought Swans would come to the party even if the Daniher trade fell over, but they were never going to budge.

As for image:

Gold Coast: "We're making a stand! No more crappy deals. We'll redraft Martin!"

*Martin Walks*

Gold Coast: "..."

Geelong: "How about Pick 27 for Pick 11?"

Gold Coast: "Deal."

Question for Carlton's fans. Do you think that SOS would make the same decision next time? I personally doubt. He was genuinely shocked that Suns did not accept his offer. It was very stressful time for Martin and his partner. You don't want a player you trying to get to go through PSD. This is the last thing players want to go through. Not good image for future trades.

Yep no winners here. GC should have accepted a decent offer for an uncontracted player they had consigned to the NEAFL.

How many other clubs in recent years have chosen to play the same game with an uncontracted player?

Carlton has a very good reputation for being fair and innovative traders.

Yes, I would expect SOS to continue to offer what he deems as fair for an out of contract player.

Clearly it didn't eventuate the way we would have liked, but in the end we got there, and the Suns got nothing.

If anything I think the Suns would do things differently next time around, at least I would hope so, because as we know this "taking a stand" garbage is exactly that.

They offered a future second in a compromised draft according to the interview with Gold Coast post trade period. Even if a third was involved and the report is wrong thats sweet f all. Next years draft is so compromised you will be talking picks in the mid 30's for an early second rounder traded in. Considering Carlton should climb the ladder next year a second rounder if you finish 8th or 9th gets you pick 45ish as more than half of the projected 2020 top 40 are already aligned to clubs.

Carlton certainly broke the flog metre in this trade period. Nothing to be proud of for sure. Yep we will play a player 800K a year and then offer picks that will be in the 30's and 50's. at best. They didnt offer anything remotely significant and about the same value as your average fringe 22 player. They are overpaying an average player so they get him for free only. Martin broke new ground in terms of an experienced player going backwards last year. It seems bloody obvious Carlton always planned to make an offer GC coiudnt accept, only to then pay Martin soo much that no team would match in PSD.
Look at what transpired objectively...
Every player is an “asset” to their club.
Asset wants out, club knows they would get compensation or asset walks for zero.
Any sound business person would try to get some return for the asset.

I think his reaction was more in regard to Papley. That's one part of the trade period I think he got wrong - he clearly thought Swans would come to the party even if the Daniher trade fell over, but they were never going to budge.

As for image:

*Martin Walks*

Imagine if the Papley trade went through and we got pick 25 and GC still refused to take that.

GC would have in essence got pick 11 2020 for Martin had both trades not fallen over.

Yep no winners here. GC should have accepted a decent offer for an uncontracted player they had consigned to the NEAFL.

If a trade goes through there’s no clear winner until time has unfolded and shown which club has come out on top.

In this scenario though, Carlton have picked up a player without having to trade anything and Gold Coast have lost a player worth a late first to mid second round pick for nothing.

That’s a clear win to Carlton.

We got Vickery in as an insurance policy because Roughie had cancer and may never have played again. Turns out Roughie got cured and Vickery wasnt needed.

Is that the sort of gap Martin is filling?
You forget that Martin is a much much better than that spud vickery ? The whole football world knew he was an absolute spud ...at least our freebie is young and talented .

A battle has been won for the integrity of a player’s right to choose their destiny as an OOC and self delisted and in in special circumstances.
A victory for freedom of choice, after alll avenues of reconciliation and conciliation exhausted. Ramifications the PSD is alive and well and clubs are now on notice.
AFLA would be well satisfied.

What isn't good for the image is a club trying to hold a player who desperately wants out..and refusing a quite reasonable trade offer. Then losing him for nothing.

It could be me but I view the Sharp trade (giving away an early pick next year for a mid second rounder) and the Jack Martin situation as an example of what sets up Gold Coast for failure. They keep been giving these advantages or concessions so they dont have to try massively hard to make every post a winner. As a result they keep failing. If Gold Coast wanted to make a stand then they should have said they would never under any cirmcunstances trade ith Carlton again if they refused to make a decent offer at the trade table for Martin. Instead they make a trade in the draft after Carlton acted like flogs in their trade negotiations.

If anyone would know about an expansion club being set up to fail, its Freo..

Let's be honest, you are projecting your hate for Carlton here cause we bid on Henry, a decision wildly applauded by supporters of most other clubs.

Question for Suns fans...would you go into business with the list decision makers at your club? Their ineptness during this off season (and beyond) provides enough warning signs that that would be a big NO. Trading players and picks for nothing...or paying too high a price for players that aren’t worth it. No wonder the list has shown little improvement in recent years.

BTW - your read on SOS and the Martin situation is absolutely wrong.

Considering he was out to lunch with 10 Carlton players when the deal was finally done and pretty much said to SOS, “Yeh thanks mate” when they talked, I believe SOS knew how the game would play out.
Martin knew how the game would play out, the Gold Coast knew how the game would play out, the afl knew how the game would play out, the entire universe knew how the game would play out, except for you and a few other melty derpers on bigfooty.
Knowledge is power I spose.

As for image:

*Martin Walks*

I agree, the Papley thing was embarrassing for all involved but as a rule you should not go public on a contracted player unless you are certain You can get the deal done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the roles were honestly reversed, you just know there would be so many *more threads about how SOS is completely inept and that he let a player go for nothing when he could have got a reasonable return of a 2nd and a 3rd.

You mean not a good look for your club after all the p1ss and wind from Cochrane

We targeted Martin, he wanted out, out of contract, our offer was reasonable especially considering other trades you completed during the trade/draft period. We continued with our pursuit and acquired Martin

One club failed at all levels, the other still satisfied the player wanting in

Carlton talking up the recruit?

Carlton offered up a second and a third, but that was nowhere near enough for the talent in question.
If you think Carlton are talking him up, what do you think Gold Coast were doing via their actions?

Have you thought this through?
Gold Coast had every right to put a high price on him, Carlton's job was to negotiate a better deal for themselves which at the trade table they did not. Now you got a player that not many rate as good outside of Carlton, for nothing. Well done.

Gold Coast had every right to put a high price on him, Carlton's job was to negotiate a better deal for themselves which at the trade table they did not. Now you got a player that not many rate as good outside of Carlton, for nothing. Well done.

Of course they can do it knowing the other club cannot come to the party and put Martins head on a stick to show, "how tough we are'

If they wanted Martin so much they should have taken him in the PSD. They decided after the fact, that it wasn't a good idea.

Can you see some semblance of hypocrisy here?

Of course they can do it knowing the other club cannot come to the party and put Martins head on a stick to show, "how tough we are'

If they wanted Martin so much they should have taken him in the PSD. They decided after the fact, that it wasn't a good idea.

Can you see some semblance of hypocrisy here?
No. They played the same game your club did.

Not many rate as good? You mean the fans?

Carlton's job was to get the player and we did that. Job done. Why is it our fault the Suns were too stubborn to accept the deal?

Not many rate as good? You mean the fans?

Carlton's job was to get the player and we did that. Job done. Why is it our fault the Suns were too stubborn to accept the deal?
Yes, the fans don't rate him and let's be honest, he has shown no consistency at all. Doubt you can turn that around.

Yes, the fans don't rate him and let's be honest, he has shown no consistency at all. Doubt you can turn that around.

What matters more, that the fans rate him, or the clubs?

I agree with you re: consistency but clearly there are clubs who rate him, and that is not just limited to Carlton. Let's not be silly and pretend otherwise.

No. They played the same game your club did.

Yeah right. The #9 was never on the table for Martin. Everyone knew that...maybe even you. :)
Carlton didn't put Martins head on a stick and then had to swallow it's own 'pride'

It's like Gold Coast went; "We'll show them who we are" only to walk away from the early bravado to ask themselves; "What do we do now?"

Ill conceived idea that backfired in their face...but somehow Carlton are the fools?
Explain to me how this is what you see? We got him for a net trade value of.....zero. :)

What matters more, that the fans rate him, or the clubs?

I agree with you re: consistency but clearly there are clubs who rate him, and that is not just limited to Carlton. Let's not be silly and pretend otherwise.
Last I heard there was only 2 clubs interested in signing him. Leave out Gold Coast because they went through a chest beating exercise. That leaves the 2 powerhouse clubs Melbourne and Carlton, would like a couple of others closer to last years top 8 for me to get excited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back