Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah right. The #9 was never on the table for Martin. Everyone knew that...maybe even you. :)
Carlton didn't put Martins head on a stick and then had to swallow it's own 'pride'

It's like Gold Coast went; "We'll show them who we are" only to walk away from the early bravado to ask themselves; "What do we do now?"

Ill conceived idea that backfired in their face...but somehow Carlton are the fools?
Explain to me how this is what you see? We got him for a net trade value of.....zero. :)
You got him at the right price IMO.

Last I heard there was only 2 clubs interested in signing him. Leave out Gold Coast because they went through a chest beating exercise. That leaves the 2 powerhouse clubs Melbourne and Carlton, would like a couple of others closer to last years top 8 for me to get excited.

Essendon were keen last year and again this year.
The Dogs were very keen this year.
Fremantle seem to have also been interested, but he didn't want to return to WA.

So that's 6 clubs. There may have been more.

How can the AFL tolerate this action by Gold Coast? They are getting hand out after hand out after hand out and yet their list managers piss away picks and players.
First was the incompetence with their delisting of Lyons, then refusing to take a draft pick for Martin with the end result they lose him for nothing. All of this with them begging to the AFL for extra picks.
GC have fast become by least favourite team.

Essendon were keen last year and again this year.
The Dogs were very keen this year.
Fremantle seem to have also been interested, but he didn't want to return to WA.

So that's 6 clubs. There may have been more.
Cannot get excited even with those clubs, Dogs probably have a good chance this year that's about it. Anyway not going to bang on about Jack, doubt he can become a game winner for you, but at least it didn't cost you the farm to find out.

How can the AFL tolerate this action by Gold Coast? They are getting hand out after hand out after hand out and yet their list managers piss away picks and players.
First was the incompetence with their delisting of Lyons, then refusing to take a draft pick for Martin with the end result they lose him for nothing. All of this with them begging to the AFL for extra picks.
GC have fast become by least favourite team.
Well if everyone stopped poaching their players they would be better off.

Last I heard there was only 2 clubs interested in signing him. Leave out Gold Coast because they went through a chest beating exercise. That leaves the 2 powerhouse clubs Melbourne and Carlton, would like a couple of others closer to last years top 8 for me to get excited.
Bulldogs.

You forgot trading Pick 11 to Geelong for Pick 27. Along with their last two years of diabolical future pick swaps.

And my post was that they signed the kids and let Jack go. They win IMO. Comprehend?
Yes, your post was about the kids...but that wasn’t what I was talking about and what this thread is about...you threw that comment in with it having no relation what so ever to the ‘conversation’ being had.. I said the Gold Coast lost in regards to losing Jack Martin for ‘nothing’...absolutely nothing to do with the signing of the kids...comprehend?
You’re simply coming across as a salty troll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hmm so GatesofHell actually does have some brains and isn't a total nuffie, but is just a troll when on the public boards.

GatesOfHell is allright actually, don't think he is a troll at all (unlike a couple of Richmond peanuts)

He promised to let it go if Martin went to Carlton, and he has, have to respect him for that, it's the nuffies who keep on harping and obsessing about it/calling Martin a spud etc, that annoy me.

Well if everyone stopped poaching their players they would be better off.

This can actually control by improving their performance standards, and giving their players a good reason to stay.

However if a player does decide to leave, the least they can do is obtain some form of compensation for the player.

It absolutely not in their best interest to just delist a player who has value, and it directly undermines their appeal for further compensation, being a MASSIVE double standard.

This can actually control by improving their performance standards, and giving their players a good reason to stay.

However if a player does decide to leave, the least they can do is obtain some form of compensation for the player.

It absolutely not in their best interest to just delist a player who has value, and it directly undermines their appeal for further compensation, being a MASSIVE double standard.
Improve their performance standards by clubs poaching their players after 2 years. Something I'm missing here. ? FFS.

Improve their performance standards by clubs poaching their players after 2 years. Something I'm missing here. ? FFS.

Obviously, and Gold Coast have never had trouble retaining players in the first two years: it’s losing them after pushing through a few contract extensions. Jack Martin in this scenario is leaving after 7 years service.

Did they get the absolute best of him to put themselves in a position to get what they perceive is good value? No, and one of the big reasons for this is of because for years the overarching development has been average.

GWS don’t crack it when their players leave, and in the past they’ve lost players for less than they believe they’re worth, but they don’t have the same petulant attitude. They understand that as an expansion club other opportunities are often more attractive, and they do the best to get the best out of the squad so to encourage good players to stay, and if they don’t they’ll get reasonable compensation. Look at Shiel and Treloar.

There are factors that work against the Gold Coast, but they need to start acknowledging that players will continue to leave, and they just have to do the best they can in each situation.

Obviously, and Gold Coast have never had trouble retaining players in the first two years: it’s losing them after pushing through a few contract extensions. Jack Martin in this scenario is leaving after 7 years service.

Did they get the absolute best of him to put themselves in a position to get what they perceive is good value? No, and one of the big reasons for this is of because for years the overarching development has been average.

GWS don’t crack it when their players leave, and in the past they’ve lost players for less than they believe they’re worth, but they don’t have the same petulant attitude. They understand that as an expansion club other opportunities are often more attractive, and they do the best to get the best out of the squad so to encourage good players to stay, and if they don’t they’ll get reasonable compensation. Look at Shiel and Treloar.

There are factors that work against the Gold Coast, but they need to start acknowledging that players will continue to leave, and they just have to do the best they can in each situation.
Probably because they are contracted for 2 years when drafted. lol. I would suggest Jack's lack of consistency had a lot to do with his value, Gold Coast rated it higher than I do and they are entitled to, GWS HAVE to unload players to keep the elite players on their books. They have had a fire sale for the last 2 seasons. Gold coast hadn't even got a guernsey on Rankin or Lukosiuos and Adelaide supporters had them earmarked for 2019. Gold Coast should be given COLA for 5 years to settle the club, pay the kids to stay.

Don’t care what anyone else thinks. The club chased Martin for 2 years and in the end landed a 25 yo that fills a need for nothing. He has the talent and in a good side will do well.

Martin playing wing/hf for us is perfect. Given we didn’t land Coniglio or Papley meant we could pay him most up front and now have money for other players

Carlton have done well. Couldn’t be happier and I reckon he will be a good player in our system. At 25 he’s ready to step up

The thread title alone makes me smile; Jack Martin (Selected by Carlton in the PSD) The PSD for FFS. :)

I don't even care about the how's and why's any more and whether Carlton did the bullying or whether Gold Coast soiled themselves.

Only care for just the one thing that makes this so good for my club at least - Carlton was handed over Jack Martin for free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back