Recommitted Jack Martin [requested a trade to Victoria, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GCS trade guy? Just said Martin will be at the suns next year, on trade radio.

Is backing up what everyone is saying in that Dodo is trying to get him but gold Coast asking too much.

All good. Happy to move on to another target or maybe even simply take the best mid available and hope growth comes from within.

Is backing up what everyone is saying in that Dodo is trying to get him but gold Coast asking too much.

All good. Happy to move on to another target or maybe even simply take the best mid available and hope growth comes from within.
Next year your might get him cheaper if he did not sign a contract extension.

Why would he be going after Martin? When you need big body mids Dodo targets the lightest mid in the AFL.

Why would he be going after Martin? When you need big body mids Dodo targets the lightest mid in the AFL.

I don't know, you would need to ask him.

I imagine Dodo puts more emphasis on talent than need based on his previous few years. Not what I would do but I am not the Essendon list manager

Martin is targeting us. We are simply entertaining the idea.

IF a big IF Martin requests a trade to Essendon we are now at least in that ballpark, we'd ask for more, Essendon would offer less. Then something like that would be accepted on another if Merrett could be encouraged to come to the gold coast.
lol, you think that not only is it a realistic offer, but that in a trade for Jack Martin that GC would ask for more than Pick 8, Zach Merrett, and McKenna/Langford?!

Peak

IF a big IF Martin requests a trade to Essendon we are now at least in that ballpark, we'd ask for more, Essendon would offer less. Then something like that would be accepted on another if Merrett could be encouraged to come to the gold coast.

Looks about right - you should keep pushing for this.

Maybe the "asking for more" could be big Joey Daniher - a great replacement for Lynch and after the year he has would be perfect steak knives. You will also have to encourage him as well.

Martin is targeting us. We are simply entertaining the idea.
Exactly. Good business would be to try and do everything possible within reason to help him to get to Essendon this year so if he wants to leave again next year we would be high in his list again. Worst case nothing happens, good outcome is he nominates is next year and bonus if we are able to trade him without selling the farm this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True but they have been tough all the way along and it hasn't really gotten them anywhere. Whereas GWS accept that they can't keep everyone so trade happily and get the picks to spread their age profile.
Fair point , if I(egClayton) leave mess behind for you , you ( eg Craig Cameron) need time to clean it up isn't it . Take time patient .That is the reason GC get Craig Cameron (GWS) over .

I empathise for the Suns, the system of draft picks isn't working for them - they need players who actually want to play there.

As for Jack Martin, he hasn't requested a trade and he's a contracted player to Gold Coast, so they have every right to hold onto him.

If he were to request a trade, then it becomes a different story. Do they hold onto him or work a deal?

Unless he requests a trade, this is all pretty much hot air.

True but they have been tough all the way along and it hasn't really gotten them anywhere. Whereas GWS accept that they can't keep everyone so trade happily and get the picks to spread their age profile.

GWS have a seemingly endless supply of younger players who can fill any gaps when players leave. They get top picks for anyone who leaves and the cycle repeats.

Shiel left and he was probably only their 3/4th best in the midfield. They have kids who played 0-5 games this year that could be future midfield stars. GC don't have that.

GWS have a seemingly endless supply of younger players who can fill any gaps when players leave. They get top picks for anyone who leaves and the cycle repeats.

Shiel left and he was probably only their 3/4th best in the midfield. They have kids who played 0-5 games this year that could be future midfield stars. GC don't have that.

Yes agree but that is because GWS drafted right and set themselves up properly, whereas GC made a lot of mistakes. Being bitter about people leaving hasn't got them far, I think they are better off being pragmatic about it now and try to build a club players want to stay at in the future.

Martin has all the attributes - beautifully skilled, footy nous, athletic, plays above his size, versatile and much harder in the contest than given credit for.
Hope for GCS that he stays, but either way that he realizes more of his potential.
If he has expressed interest in Essendon, they would absolutely entertain it, why wouldn't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back