Brownlow Medallist
Jan 27, 2012
On the couch
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Reckon we won't when we have Mosquito
Yeah. Like the bulldogs wouldn’t go for Grundy if he was available because we have Jordon Sweet....

Whatever your opinion on Martin he’s an upgrade massively on an unproven kid as speculative as mosquito.

Last edited:

Suns of Anarchy

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
I’m struggling hard to put a value on Jack Martin and his Mini draft pick 1 status, my thoughts are its overrated and wonder if he would have even been drafted top 3 in the 2013 regular draft.

I think the fact that O’meara and Hogan both won rising star awards made those mini draft picks look really good, and Martin is living, or potentially lived off the hype he will eventually come on similarly.
It's a difficult one.
That draft wasn't a particularly strong one in hindsight. O'Rourke, Plowman, Toumpas in the top 4, yet some very good players 5 - 10. Falls away after that apart from Grundy.
I've watched him closely and he's been at his best when we've won a few games and he's floating between half forward / deeper.
He certainly has more value to a club with it's window open than to us. I'd trade him personally and think that would be a win/win for both parties.

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Martin is extremely hard to value. On potential, it's possible to see his price being a pick in the teens, but he's now in his 6th season, so he has to start being assessed on actual output.

I would say a pick in the mid 20s, but that seems too little, while a pick in the teens just feels too high. The Dogs currently hold Pick 25 which could be used, but would have to attach something else to it. Pick 25 + Pick 43 would be enough draft points I'd think, and may be sufficient depending on where Budarick is bid on in the draft, but I'm sure Suns would rather get an experienced player in return, rather than just more draft picks outside the 1st round

briztoon

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Martin is extremely hard to value. On potential, it's possible to see his price being a pick in the teens, but he's now in his 6th season, so he has to start being assessed on actual output.

I would say a pick in the mid 20s, but that seems too little, while a pick in the teens just feels too high. The Dogs currently hold Pick 25 which could be used, but would have to attach something else to it. Pick 25 + Pick 43 would be enough draft points I'd think, and may be sufficient depending on where Budarick is bid on in the draft, but I'm sure Suns would rather get an experienced player in return, rather than just more draft picks outside the 1st round
If the recent talk on the GC board is in any way accurate, GC might need some picks to on trade for other players.

Would pick 25 be enough to get Hugh Greenwood from Adelaide?

And GC keeps pick 43 for matching a bid on Budarick.

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If the recent talk on the GC board is in any way accurate, GC might need some picks to on trade for other players.

Would pick 25 be enough to get Hugh Greenwood from Adelaide?

And GC keeps pick 43 for matching a bid on Budarick.
I think Pick 25 is pretty close to fair - he's not exactly a star, but is a serviceable player who would easily slot into GC's 22. Basically worth anywhere from Pick 20 - Pick 30 I think.

But yeah, if they need to keep the picks for on-trading, they may just have to go with their 2020 2nd rounder or something like that

Rad Roo

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Whichever team he nominates, if I'm Gold Coast I'm asking for a pick and a seasoned veteran back. Gold Coast can replace his talent easily, it's harder to replace the experience.
well if its seasoned players they want, am happy to release wright, mcmillan, and 2nd round pick or 1st round and mcmillan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Northernsoul74

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just local footy chatter up here around the grounds combined with peeps in the know on our board combined with your board. Add it all together and these seem to be likely scenarios.
I think someone on our board mentioned Hawthorn have also emerged as a serious contender.

briztoon

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Now injured

Having a horrid second half of the year
Let’s put the injury in to perspective, it was a finger surgery.

You know, the type of injury and surgery you’d play through and postpone if you were in finals contention.

But it’s also the type of injury the club you’re moving to would say, “hey, shut it down for the year, don’t risk a serious injury in the back end of the season.”

Top Bottom