Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

At this stage confidential talks with his manager would be appropriate, but something often comes out. Even a general statement of hypothetical interest.

For all the assumptions that WC will try and recruit him, I haven't seen anything referenced to the club they are interested in recruiting him. Just BF talk.

It makes sense they would be as much as I can tell, but have I missed something?

Eagles are very low key and respectful in trading. They dont play things out in the media until post season and even then it seems to be a lot less dramatic than other clubs.

Not sure that wc has built a good trade rapport with gc
Clayton screwed us over just in time to leave for you guys.
No love lost there I’m sure.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

But really who expected us to finish that high?

A mid first say pick 10 instead of 18 before compo picks it would have been reasonable.

Feel that is about right.

Dons will need to come up with a suitable trade but lack picks. What player has the value to get it done either directly or indirectly?

Port supposidly keen as well as was Martin. What is the attraction to Port?

Eagles would have to also be an option. New stadium, new $60m training hub, premiers and swimming in cash. Also have a strong and exciting group of indigenous players. Martin on a wing or half back / half forward would be very nice. Jetta replacement next year? Jetta to coach and mentor the young fellas.
We have two seconds this year. Obviously the gold coast wont take that for Martin (or they might if he has another downish season) but it wouldnt be hard to flip those for a mid first rounder i dont think.
Then we might have a chance

The issue though for us will be cap space.
Stringer, Smith, Shiel and Saad would be on considerable coin and Joe signed a pretty big extension at the end of 2017.

You add to that players like Francis, Parish and Tippa out of contract this year (and a bigger list next year) then I dont know how we squeeze Martin in.

We have two seconds this year. Obviously the gold coast wont take that for Martin (or they might if he has another downish season) but it wouldnt be hard to flip those for a mid first rounder i dont think.
Then we might have a chance

The issue though for us will be cap space.
Stringer, Smith, Shiel and Saad would be on considerable coin and Joe signed a pretty big extension at the end of 2017.

You add to that players like Francis, Parish and Tippa out of contract this year (and a bigger list next year) then I dont know how we squeeze Martin in.

Not sure about easily converting two 2nd rounders to a mid first. Eagles teied that last season to land T Kelly and couldnt get anyone interested.

I recall Swans offered pick 13 for two early second rounders but Cats wanted a top 10 pick. Well actually they were never negotiating in good faith TBH.

Last edited:
Agree, most thought we would be middle to bottom and ....... It's not like we knew it would be a premiership season.
We definitely have a better trade relationship with you than Fremantle at the very least

Pick 2 for Weller and 42
or
Bennell (pre-horrendously consistent calf injuries) and pick 22 for pick 16 and 35

they've bent us over the table every in every exchange we've had

We definitely have a better trade relationship with you than Fremantle at the very least

Pick 2 for Weller and 42
or
Bennell (pre-horrendously consistent calf injuries) and pick 22 for pick 16 and 35

Weller yes, Bennell no. There was massive risk in Bennell and he came with a suitable discount. The end result see's you coming out miles ahead in that trade due to entirely foreseeable circumstances that both clubs were aware of. Dont think you can say you got screwed over in the Bennell trade

Pick 2 for Weller and 42
or

So the Weller one.. yes a little bit, However you get a player that wants to be there and will stay long term...payed overs but probably worth it.

and regarding Bennell, at the time it looked that way, however he wasn't doing you guys any favours (and freo for that matter), I have done some checking on that trade, quite interesting!

You guys gave Bennell, 22, for 16 and 35, then traded 35, 61 for 56, 2016 (2R)
so

Bennell, 22, 61 for 16, 56, 2016 (2R)

which equates to

Out
Bennell (2 games)
Sam Collins ( 14 games, delisted) funnily enough now on GC list
Shane Yarran (6 Games, deceased)

Through 2016 (R2) trades
Cedric Cox ( 12 Games Brisbane)
Joe Atley ( 3 Games Port)

Total 37 games with Bennell the only one on freo (list currently injured) both cox and Atley still at their clubs

In
Fiorini (26 Games)
M.Willis (5 games, Delisted)
Hanley (16 Games)
Brad Scheer ( 10 Games)
and Sam Collins back on your list

Total 57 Games + collins all except Willis on your list....

I'd say you won that one as it stands ;)

Weller yes, Bennell no. There was massive risk in Bennell and he came with a suitable discount. The end result see's you coming out miles ahead in that trade due to entirely foreseeable circumstances that both clubs were aware of. Dont think you can say you got screwed over in the Bennell trade
Not sure it was 'entirely foreseeable circumstances'. He had some calf issues at the SUNS but he still played the majority of every season he was with us including finishing the 2015 season strongly and playing 15 games throughout the year. the reason he was moved on was his behavioural issues, which have hardly been the reason that he hasn't played.

Not sure about easily converting two 2nd rounders to a mid first. Eagles teied that last season to land T Kelly and couldnt get anyone interested.

I recall Swans offered pick 13 for two early second rounders but Cats wanted a top 10 pick. Well actually they were never negotiating in good faith TBH.
Yeah i meant more the academy teams that want draft points. But that obviously depends on whether there are any prospects they want to move up for (i.e if Essendon and GWS finish the same as last year the seconds equate to pick 12ish combined).

Otherwise, yeah teams are unlikely to want to do that trade. Two seconds is unlikely to get GCS attention for Martin too.

Would like at Essendon.
Don't see how we get a deal done. Pretty sure we can't trade another 1st rd pick...unless we ask the AFL for permission.
Which may be ok given Martin is young, our list is young, and we aren't at risk of selling the future for a short term gamble.

That said, i don't know if the club would view him as a priority anymore.
Or at least, not priority enough to try extend another year out of the 1st rd.

we have a good 22, but depth is becoming a problem. A run of injuries and we start to plumb VFL standard players.

Jack Martin may just end up a Bagger, we have ample room to accommodate a very healthy salary and we’ll certainly make him feel at home, Jake’s exceptional talent will be sought after and in demand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Martin may just end up a Bagger, we have ample room to accommodate a very healthy salary and we’ll certainly make him feel at home, Jake’s exceptional talent will be sought after and in demand.

Bet jake will feel right at home at culton

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Honestly can't see him leaving GC for another straggler like Carlton. Wouldn't be surprised if North were a contender for his services.

Carlton fans: we have 22 former first round draft picks on our list, enormous amounts of elite youth who are all about to break out.

Also Carlton fans: we have ample room to accommodate a very healthy salary for any trade target we want.

No Carlton fans ever: we may lose some of our elite youth because we won't pay them competitive salaries so that we can try and recruit more players all the while continuing to finish bottom of the ladder.

Norths are interested in anyone half decent.

Still need to spend that "war chest" and looks like it won't be on Josh Kelly.
Martin is pretty much the perfect player for them at this stage, they need that small forward, which Simpkin may be, but he can split his time between midfield and forward.

Martin is pretty much the perfect player for them at this stage, they need that small forward, which Simpkin may be, but he can split his time between midfield and forward.
Martin isn't that small about 185-188cm or something from memory. I certainly don't consider him in the "small" category on our list.

Martin isn't that small about 185-188cm or something from memory. I certainly don't consider him in the "small" category on our list.
Luke Breust is around the 185 mark as well, Jake Melksham too. They're classified as small forwards.

Thwre arw medium forwards aka Le cras. Inberween types.

Patracca and De Goey sizes. Caddy.

Small forwards are Willie Rioli and Betts size. 170-180cm.
I think you're be pedantic but oh well, whatever floats your boat.

Norths are interested in anyone half decent.

Still need to spend that "war chest" and looks like it won't be on Josh Kelly.

If they had a war chest wouldn’t Polec, pittard and hall have drained like $1.4-$1.7mil of that?

Not that teams don’t find a way to fit players in if they need to but I don’t buy they have a war chest.

If they had a war chest wouldn’t Polec, pittard and hall have drained like $1.4-$1.7mil of that?

Not that teams don’t find a way to fit players in if they need to but I don’t buy they have a war chest.

And leave nothing to land Josh Kelly North's number 1 target?

They've only been chasing the guy for three years and he's out of contract.

They threw $1m at Gaff last season so that money would have gone to cover those others.

And leave nothing to land Josh Kelly North's number 1 target?

They've only been chasing the guy for three years and he's out of contract.

They threw $1m at Gaff last season so that money would have gone to cover those others.

I don’t doubt they could make room in their cap to get him if he was available

I think the same could be said for many other teams though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back