Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Most likely pick 7-10 + early third round.

Pfft, sorry mate but you're dreaming.

Worth a late first - mid second 😁

EDIT: In saying that however I sincerely hope that he stays because your list has been plundered and pillaged enough as it is.

Seems that things may finally be turning around there and hopefully it stays that way.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Most likely pick 7-10 + early third round. Or a player GCS interested in from the team that want him .
So explain to me what he's done in his career to be worth a pick between 7-10 as well as a 3rd round pick.

Never been close to winning a b and f as far as I can see. Finished 10th last year. He's 24 now and his career is still yet to get going.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
We do have players coming out of contract.
Grigg, Ellis, Castagna, Townsend and Butler are all premiership players coming out of contract.
If he wanted to come we would fit him in

Isn’t this a myth that “premiership players coming or of contract” are well payed?

I’d imagine a guy like Townsend would be paid pittance due to signing pre premiership (?). Ditto Castagna and Butler. A guy like Ellis I can imagine would be on a decent quid but he would want something similar to his current deal one. Grigg is the ‘big’ one who would be negotiated down on his current deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
So explain to me what he's done in his career to be worth a pick between 7-10 as well as a 3rd round pick.

Never been close to winning a b and f as far as I can see. Finished 10th last year. He's 24 now and his career is still yet to get going.
What had Paddy McCartin ,Jack Watt done so far warrant pick 1 . Pick 7-10 is just a number in the Draft . You can't underated a player from other club and overated a top 10 draft pick in 2019 ( who can be the next tambling ) .Best and fairest depend on how many AFL games you play for your club. Eg Mccartin ( Injuries ) affected his best and fairest count .Nobody forcing you to buy/sell if you don't want to, do I think Lever worth 2 first round pick and May worth pick 6 ? not really but if there are buyer willing to paid and gave up top pick why not sell to them instead of other reluctant buyer .

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
What had Paddy McCartin ,Jack Watt done so far warrant pick 1 . Pick 7-10 is just a number in the Draft . You can't underated a player from other club and overated a top 10 draft pick in 2019 ( who can be the next tambling ) .Best and fairest depend on how many AFL games you play for your club. Eg Mccartin ( Injuries ) going to affect his best and fairest count .Nobody forcing you to buy/sell if you don't want to, do I think Lever worth 2 first round pick and May worth pick 6 ? not really but if there are buyer willing to paid and gave up top pick why not sell to them.

I think I can understand your point..he is a known commodity compared to some kid who has just played against kids, a club has seen what he is capable of at an afl level..clubs have seen him kick goals and look absolutely elite at times.. and less elite at other time. It his potential and what they feel he could do in their system that a club may get engauged in imo. Its obviously true as well that the longer a player is in the afl system ..its this afl performance that he is rated on , what affects his contract and his appeal. Poor Paddy McCartin now would almost be untradeable , Jack Watts went to Port for what , a pick in the 30's ... and of course the other the other way as well...plenty of players drafted as Rookie or late pick would be worth far more if traded on the afl form. There are obviously other factors as well .. and what someone is prepared to pay or offer for Martin would be obviously less than his rating as a kid ..but depending on the contract offered and the picks held what he gets traded for could be a range of value... and to some degree what a club could expect to get with the picks they have.

An early R1 and R3 is a fair whack , depending on who wants him there maybe someone who pays it. Historically who does that align to? Who do you feel he goes to?

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

I think the 10th finish in the B&F is not that significant.. players not aligning with the coaching team wants or being less than 100% fit etc ..who knows what he is or isnt doing in the MC's eyes. Gary Ablett came to Geelong last year and he was not in the top ten either.. but now Id say he would be going OK in it.
Obviously at 24 Martin is coming into his prime years , he should be a PnP type... but I'd agree anyone interested would be hoping for more than he has produced so far.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
What had Paddy McCartin ,Jack Watt done so far warrant pick 1 . Pick 7-10 is just a number in the Draft . You can't underated a player from other club and overated a top 10 draft pick in 2019 ( who can be the next tambling ) .Best and fairest depend on how many AFL games you play for your club. Eg Mccartin ( Injuries ) affected his best and fairest count .Nobody forcing you to buy/sell if you don't want to, do I think Lever worth 2 first round pick and May worth pick 6 ? not really but if there are buyer willing to paid and gave up top pick why not sell to them instead of other reluctant buyer .
So your argument is that you may end up with a bust, totally ignoring the fact that you may also end up with a Walsh, Bont, Kelly or Degoey?

Draft picks are always a risk, I get that. But I doubt a recruiter would offer to take on a 24 year old that hasn't lived up to the hype rather than take that risk with pick 7 as well as handing another pick over.

May and Lever went for a hugh price, but both had shown that they were quality players. Lever made the AA squad at 21 and May was the captain of your club and had some terrific footy behind him.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Most likely pick 7-10 + early third round. Or a player GCS interested in from the team that want him .

From a port standpoint having lost Polec, pittard and 2 late picks for pick 11, and a all Australian player in Wingard (+late picks) for burton pick 15 and 35

And getting pick 33 for impey, and 4th rounders for young, ah Chee and hombsch.

Giving up a top ten pick and a 3rd rounder for Martin would be remarkably off what the price point has been set at for us.

I would place his value half way between Polec and impey, which would be around pick 15ish. Having said that it depends on what someone’s willing to pay and picks they have on hand and how they rate the draft etc. Martin is likely a far safer bet than pick 15 but based on history I wouldn’t want to overpay for Martin.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
From a port standpoint having lost Polec, pittard and 2 late picks for pick 11, and a all Australian player in Wingard (+late picks) for burton pick 15 and 35

And getting pick 33 for impey, and 4th rounders for young, ah Chee and hombsch.

Giving up a top ten pick and a 3rd rounder for Martin would be remarkably off what the price point has been set at for us.

I would place his value half way between Polec and impey, which would be around pick 15ish. Having said that it depends on what someone’s willing to pay and picks they have on hand and how they rate the draft etc. Martin is likely a far safer bet than pick 15 but based on history I wouldn’t want to overpay for Martin.
You don't have do , if your club not interested . Polec is a lot older than Martin also North want to get rid of their first Rd for academy player thomas , O Meara is worth pick 3 now compare to 2015 trade . No risk no rewards.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Im a freo fan and Id take that in a heartbeat if that deal was available. Martin's tagged every week and can win the ball both inside and out. He killed freo in the Round 2 game. He's the ultimate utility in that he can play all over the ground and is very good at clearances as well. Pretty sure anyone saying you're dreaming and that he's only worth a late first, early second early doesnt get player trading.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Im a freo fan and Id take that in a heartbeat if that deal was available. Martin's tagged every week and can win the ball both inside and out. He killed freo in the Round 2 game. He's the ultimate utility in that he can play all over the ground and is very good at clearances as well. Pretty sure anyone saying you're dreaming and that he's only worth a late first, early second early doesnt get player trading.
He is pretty close to Matera too.
If Fremantle make the top 8 or only have pick 10-12 this year , I think GCS still take it , pick 10-12 this year still better than late first round pick .At current both St Kilda and Port are not really doing better than Fremantle.

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Think he's being underrated in this thread. Have watched a fair bit of the Sun's games this year and think he's a jet. If I were Essendon I'd happily give up a future first and any second rounder that GC wanted.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Wait...what?

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
The report up the page filled me with a tiny bit more confidence stating he is more settled than he was at the end of last year. Hopefully we can pick a win or 2 more before the bye and continue to head in the right direction on and off the field, we might see him re-sign for another couple of years to see if the improvement continues.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You don't have do , if your club not interested . Polec is a lot older than Martin also North want to get rid of their first Rd for academy player thomas , O Meara is worth pick 3 now compare to 2015 trade . No risk no rewards.

The age difference between Polec and Martin is 2 years, and there will be one year separating their ages when they’re traded (if Martin leaves)

Youre just assuming Polec is older because he’s been a decent player for a long time, and Martin hasn’t.

MITSUHIRATO

All Australian
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Think he's being underrated in this thread. Have watched a fair bit of the Sun's games this year and think he's a jet. If I were Essendon I'd happily give up a future first and any second rounder that GC wanted.

IIRC given you're dealings for Devon Smith and Shiel - you can't trade out any future picks.

IIRC given you're dealings for Devon Smith and Shiel - you can't trade out any future picks.
We used a first round pick in 2016, two in 2015, one in 2014. Not sure where other clubs stand on that but I don’t think we’re quite at the point of being unable to trade future picks.

Back