Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Doing himself no favours with his contract. Has shown little improvement this year. Just can't seem to take his game to the next level.

hence if there is a trade, would be silly to give out even 2nd rouder if we finish bottom 4. He is either a high 2nd rouder or 2 X 3rd rounder.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
hence if there is a trade, would be silly to give out even 2nd rouder if we finish bottom 4. He is either a high 2nd rouder or 2 X 3rd rounder.
You already not interested I thought. Is not like GCS desperate for your second Rd pick or Martin indicated north is his prefer team.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
So name a FA you are confident of getting over the off season?

I haven't seen a lot of high quality free agents leaving good clubs to go to bottom clubs for more money.
Yep, if they leave they've proven much more likely to go to a good club for less money.

They're going to be rich and potentially set up for life either way, so they might as well be happy for the rest of their career and give themselves the best chance of winning a flag.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So name a FA you are confident of getting over the off season?

I haven't seen a lot of high quality free agents leaving good clubs to go to bottom clubs for more money.

Let's see, Higgins, Waite, Polec, easily first 5 starting player at the current top 4 clubs. Also the money thrown by the bottom clubs are not that much greater than they currently have and this is because we have a cap. Picking FA is an art, you got to pick the right ones that can fulfill a very specific role of your club. Higgin fulfills a forward line finisher who has very polished skill but the bonus is that he has developed into a A grade mid, which was very unexpected. Waite did well to fulfill a mobile key forward who has mercurial skills and has basically won us 2 final matches. Polec is a medium term player (at least 5 years) who will lock down a position on the wing with his pace and attacking intent. We probably should get a small explosive defender ala Leon 'Neon' Davis to run out of defense. Pittard is doing a really good job as this counter attacking defender with a booming left foot.

The really big named free agent are not always the best but it's almost certain Kelly is coming to us at the end of 2021 in that he will be RFA and GWS might have gone out of gas. By then, Ahern, LDU, Thomas are midfield household names, Kelly is RFA (offer is 1.3 mil x 5), Polec in career best form, Higgin, Ziebell finishing his career as a forward, Zurhaar dominant mid/fwd of the competition, Brown+Wood providing good aerial cover. But other than Kelly, i am not too interested in big names as them as a player might not suit us. Hopefully we are not targeting any 'big' names this year as we should offload goldstein, wright, mcmillan and get the draft right. Big ticks if Jacobs and Daw can return to full fitness as they are our ace in the hole type cards.

Last edited:

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, if they leave they've proven much more likely to go to a good club for less money.

They're going to be rich and potentially set up for life either way, so they might as well be happy for the rest of their career and give themselves the best chance of winning a flag.

good club to s**t club and vice versa can happen quickly, unless you are carlton..........of course in the background lobbying will be happening to introduce rules that bottom 8 clubs cannot have free agents going to top 4 clubs. Remember AFL is about equalization, this rule will come in not too distant future.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers

So jack Martin going to the saints then? I doubt it? Isnt he Western Australian?

Also, your mob has fluked 7 win by under a goal and you think you are a top 4 chance lol. :)

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I am not sure Martin is playing well enough to be that picky. He was good early season and now seems ineffectual.

Take the best deal you can get Jack.

Jack had a few decent weeks early getting his hands on it playing centre square.

Been playing a bit more outside and forward last few weeks - kicking a few goals.
His kicking efficiency was been ~80% last 2 games after being pretty dismal earlier in the year - I think his game the last 2 weeks has actually been better - certainly than the 2 weeks before that.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Free agency has served us well but martin doesn't look anything like someone who warrants a 1st round pick we were to trade him now, wait til he is 27/28, can get him as a FA.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jack had a few decent weeks early getting his hands on it playing centre square.

Been playing a bit more outside and forward last few weeks - kicking a few goals.
His kicking efficiency was been ~80% last 2 games after being pretty dismal earlier in the year - I think his game the last 2 weeks has actually been better - certainly than the 2 weeks before that.
He should go back to the role he played when he tore us a new one. Could add a couple of zeros doing that week in, week out. That was inside yeah?

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Let's see, Higgins, Waite, Polec, easily first 5 starting player at the current top 4 clubs. Also the money thrown by the bottom clubs are not that much greater than they currently have and this is because we have a cap. Picking FA is an art, you got to pick the right ones that can fulfill a very specific role of your club. Higgin fulfills a forward line finisher who has very polished skill but the bonus is that he has developed into a A grade mid, which was very unexpected. Waite did well to fulfill a mobile key forward who has mercurial skills and has basically won us 2 final matches. Polec is a medium term player (at least 5 years) who will lock down a position on the wing with his pace and attacking intent. We probably should get a small explosive defender ala Leon 'Neon' Davis to run out of defense. Pittard is doing a really good job as this counter attacking defender with a booming left foot.

The really big named free agent are not always the best but it's almost certain Kelly is coming to us at the end of 2021 in that he will be RFA and GWS might have gone out of gas. By then, Ahern, LDU, Thomas are midfield household names, Kelly is RFA (offer is 1.3 mil x 5), Polec in career best form, Higgin, Ziebell finishing his career as a forward, Zurhaar dominant mid/fwd of the competition, Brown+Wood providing good aerial cover. But other than Kelly, i am not too interested in big names as them as a player might not suit us. Hopefully we are not targeting any 'big' names this year as we should offload goldstein, wright, mcmillan and get the draft right. Big ticks if Jacobs and Daw can return to full fitness as they are our ace in the hole type cards.
Haha, that's a good read mate.

Not sure what Higgins has to do with North being able to attract a FA in 2019. I'm not sure you had just let your coach go and started planning for a rebuild when you got him?

I love that you still think that Kelly is still definitely coming to North. He was coming two years ago, then he signed a 2 year contract and was without a doubt coming this year. I bet he has told the club that once his contract is up next time....

sexyhunk

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
melb
AFL Club
Geelong

we back on this train again haha

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Haha, that's a good read mate.

Not sure what Higgins has to do with North being able to attract a FA in 2019. I'm not sure you had just let your coach go and started planning for a rebuild when you got him?

I love that you still think that Kelly is still definitely coming to North. He was coming two years ago, then he signed a 2 year contract and was without a doubt coming this year. I bet he has told the club that once his contract is up next time....

Oh yeah, by the end of his current contract, he is RFA..........oh didn't think about that did ya. It's funny how someone from st kilda would think that having a new coach equates to rebuild. Perhaps at st kilda, a new coach means rebuild..............wonder how your rebuild is going? Has your marquee players hannebury and powerhouse defender jake Carlisle dominated any games of late? 900k p.a and not playing any game is money well spent... Brought up higgin, waite and polec when some post before this asked which quality FA players has North recruited. All 3 are in any teams best starting 22.........Actually we turned all 3 into A graders. So i would dare say, we are the club to be if you want to take it to the next level.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
we back on this train again haha

Never left, the superior Kelly in the end is mine..............i mean North bound. Look at his contract extension, 2 yr, 2yr. By the end of the current contract, he would be RFA, 26 years of age and prime age to come down to North on a 5 x 1.3 mil deal, trust me we got this in the bag, as the emperor would say, everything is proceeding as foreseen.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Oh yeah, by the end of his current contract, he is RFA..........oh didn't think about that did ya. It's funny how someone from st kilda would think that having a new coach equates to rebuild. Perhaps at st kilda, a new coach means rebuild..............wonder how your rebuild is going? Has your marquee players hannebury and powerhouse defender jake Carlisle dominated any games of late? 900k p.a and not playing any game is money well spent... Brought up higgin, waite and polec when some post before this asked which quality FA players has North recruited. All 3 are in any teams best starting 22.........Actually we turned all 3 into A graders. So i would dare say, we are the club to be if you want to take it to the next level.
Haha, *.

Well if Josh Kelly is a RFA at the end of his contract it's obvious to me now that he is going to North...

Actually the post you replied to was mine, it asked what FA you expected to get this year, not what FA's came to your club 5 years ago when you were a top 6 side.

I also never claimed the Saints were a powerhouse. In fact I said in my original post that side in the bottom end of the ladder struggle to get the best FA's, even if they are cashed up which would also mean the Saints.

Your club is rebuilding mate, that was the discussion your ex coach had with the board. It's common knowledge.

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jack Martin is a good player to have in your team, but he is past the age at which one might pay a premium for his potential.
He will be 25 next season, and as such any team trading for him should realistically expect that his current output will be his future output - and that's worth a late first round pick to a keen buyer, or an early second + something else to most others.

I'd love to have him at Hawthorn because he is a very effective player, but I wouldn't want to part with a top 10 pick for him - no way.

RE: 2019 form
It seems his possession count and tackle count have an inverse correlation.
Started the season collecting high numbers, but it seems to have tailed off over the last six weeks, during which his tackle count has shot up.

Could somebody from the Suns give some context to this pls?

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Jack Martin is a good player to have in your team, but he is past the age at which one might pay a premium for his potential.
He will be 25 next season, and as such any team trading for him should realistically expect that his current output will be his future output - and that's worth a late first round pick to a keen buyer, or an early second + something else to most others.

I'd love to have him at Hawthorn because he is a very effective player, but I wouldn't want to part with a top 10 pick for him - no way.

RE: 2019 form
It seems his possession count and tackle count have an inverse correlation.
Started the season collecting high numbers, but it seems to have tailed off over the last six weeks, during which his tackle count has shot up.

Could somebody from the Suns give some context to this pls?
Jack started season mostly as an inside midfielder and had a couple of excellent games though missed a lot of easy shots. Then he had a month or so when his form dropped. Recent games Suns play him more forward. He had a great first half against Saints. Not easy to play on a rebuilding team decimated by injuries again and when the team struggles to equal numbers in midfield. On a winning team Martin has a potential to be a star. At Suns he is a class player together with Weller. Top 10 pick for me.

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jack started season mostly as an inside midfielder and had a couple of excellent games though missed a lot of easy shots. Then he had a month or so when his form dropped. Recent games Suns play him more forward. He had a great first half against Saints. Not easy to play on a rebuilding team decimated by injuries again and when the team struggles to equal numbers in midfield. On a winning team Martin has a potential to be a star. At Suns he is a class player together with Weller. Top 10 pick for me.
Thanks for you reply to help me understand his form.
Great tackle count for a forward/mid of late then.

I'd be fine with pick 8-10 in a weaker draft.

Back