Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

No one forced Adelaide to trade for Gibbs, Adelaide paid a fair price for a player they wanted help push them to a premiership.

Why would Adelaide rip themselves off, because he was taken number 1 over 10 years earlier. That is ridiculous. Port didn’t pay overs because Jack Watts went number 1.
Why would Adelaide do this? We are asking the same question. Desperation to win a flag and seeing Gibbs as the missing peice of the puzzle I would assume. But it is only going to be a good trade if we won a flag off the back of it.
Anyway, I'll try not to derail the Martin thread anymore.

Why would Adelaide do this? We are asking the same question. Desperation to win a flag and seeing Gibbs as the missing peice of the puzzle I would assume. But it is only going to be a good trade if we won a flag off the back of it.
Anyway, I'll try not to derail the Martin thread anymore.
Yeah that’s why you paid, not because he was number 1 10 years earlier.

I’m struggling hard to put a value on Jack Martin and his Mini draft pick 1 status, my thoughts are its overrated and wonder if he would have even been drafted top 3 in the 2013 regular draft.

I think the fact that O’meara and Hogan both won rising star awards made those mini draft picks look really good, and Martin is living, or potentially lived off the hype he will eventually come on similarly.

Adelaide apparently almost drafted Ben Kennedy with there mini draft pick #2 after a strong 2011 under 18 season, the next year he doesn’t even get drafted in the top 18, then in 2017 he gets delisted from AFL.

An article i read from june 2011(https://m.afl.com.au/news/2011-06-24/gws-minidraft-explained) even mentioned Matthew Mcdonough as a possible option after he was playing strong footy as a 17 year old.

I’m struggling hard to put a value on Jack Martin and his Mini draft pick 1 status, my thoughts are its overrated and wonder if he would have even been drafted top 3 in the 2013 regular draft.

I think the fact that O’meara and Hogan both won rising star awards made those mini draft picks look really good, and Martin is living, or potentially lived off the hype he will eventually come on similarly.

Adelaide apparently almost drafted Ben Kennedy with there mini draft pick #2 after a strong 2011 under 18 season, the next year he doesn’t even get drafted in the top 18, then in 2017 he gets delisted from AFL.

An article i read from june 2011(https://m.afl.com.au/news/2011-06-24/gws-minidraft-explained) even mentioned Matthew Mcdonough as a possible option after he was playing strong footy as a 17 year old.
You never know, Ben Kennedy might have turned into a gun if he'd been drafted to Adelaide as a 17 year old and started training immediately.

Few things the club have said in regards to the recruitment of indigenous players (members forum)
Cap space
Fills a need
Wasn't shut down when I raised it with a few people close to the club
Media noise (been on the news yesterday that we are interested)
When theres smoke theres fire and Jack is looking highly likely to leave and we would be in a very good spot to land him

Few things the club have said in regards to the recruitment of indigenous players (members forum)
Cap space
Fills a need
Wasn't shut down when I raised it with a few people close to the club
Media noise (been on the news yesterday that we are interested)
When theres smoke theres fire and Jack is looking highly likely to leave and we would be in a very good spot to land him
Sounds like conjecture

I agree with you, but simple market economics will determine it.

I'm sure he will be in demand from a few clubs who think they can unlock him.

He turns 25 next year though, about to hit 100 games, he's hovered around that 18d 0.5-1g a game mark for a while, which isn't too bad I guess. If he upped it to 20d & 1.5g's he'd be an AA HFF (which are similar numbers to Toby Greene). That's probably possible in a decent side.

You've got WHE who was similarly talented and has upped his goals to around that 1.1-1.5 mark for Collingwood on sub 15 disposals who has been very valuable, on the other hand Collingwood traded pick #25 for him.

I still think he's probably worth a pick from 12-20.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon seems to heave always been linked to him.

I hope we don’t end up getting him. The price will far outweigh the output imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
we have other priorities.
He'd be great having around the forward line, but i think we are well served enough by Raz, Tippa, Laverde, etc.

Should Raz leave, then perhaps we have a look. But for now, other priorities.

You never know, Ben Kennedy might have turned into a gun if he'd been drafted to Adelaide as a 17 year old and started training immediately.
I think the fact he was almost considered at mini draft pick #2 in 2011, then didnt even make the first 18 picks in the 2012 draft is something to think about regardless.

Whichever team he nominates, if I'm Gold Coast I'm asking for a pick and a seasoned veteran back. Gold Coast can replace his talent easily, it's harder to replace the experience.
Pick 63 and David Armitage should do it then.

In all seriousness, GC can ask for that, but no club can make a player go to GC. That's a hard one to sell so there's a fair chance it just ends up being another pick.

I think the fact he was almost considered at mini draft pick #2 in 2011, then didnt even make the first 18 picks in the 2012 draft is something to think about regardless.
Might have just had a poor development year in 2012. Grundy was considered a likely top pick at the start of his junior year too.

Martin loves physical stuff and can play on-ball. Hoskin-Elliott doesn't have that dimension to his game at all.
If he could play on ball well enough then he would play on ball. However he can't and so he doesn't. Higher career tackles and slightly more contested ball doesn't mean he has another dimension to his game

Last edited:
Might have just had a poor development year in 2012. Grundy was considered a likely top pick at the start of his junior year too.
Kennedy was back to back All Australian in under 18’s before he was drafted, i didnt watch any games so i cant say he was better or worse.

Grundy was predicted to go anywhere from GWS pick #3 to Collingwoods #18, i dont think Kennedy was predicted to go any higher than around #12-#15.

Honestly think it would be a win win scenario if gold coast could get a end of 1st round- early 2nd round pick + more for him. Wont exactly leave a gaping hole in their list.

We were huge into him during his draft year. Id love to have him for the player he could potentially be in a new environment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back