Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon we won't when we have Mosquito

Yeah. Like the bulldogs wouldn’t go for Grundy if he was available because we have Jordon Sweet....

Whatever your opinion on Martin he’s an upgrade massively on an unproven kid as speculative as mosquito.

Last edited:
I’m struggling hard to put a value on Jack Martin and his Mini draft pick 1 status, my thoughts are its overrated and wonder if he would have even been drafted top 3 in the 2013 regular draft.

I think the fact that O’meara and Hogan both won rising star awards made those mini draft picks look really good, and Martin is living, or potentially lived off the hype he will eventually come on similarly.
It's a difficult one.
That draft wasn't a particularly strong one in hindsight. O'Rourke, Plowman, Toumpas in the top 4, yet some very good players 5 - 10. Falls away after that apart from Grundy.
I've watched him closely and he's been at his best when we've won a few games and he's floating between half forward / deeper.
He certainly has more value to a club with it's window open than to us. I'd trade him personally and think that would be a win/win for both parties.

Martin is extremely hard to value. On potential, it's possible to see his price being a pick in the teens, but he's now in his 6th season, so he has to start being assessed on actual output.

I would say a pick in the mid 20s, but that seems too little, while a pick in the teens just feels too high. The Dogs currently hold Pick 25 which could be used, but would have to attach something else to it. Pick 25 + Pick 43 would be enough draft points I'd think, and may be sufficient depending on where Budarick is bid on in the draft, but I'm sure Suns would rather get an experienced player in return, rather than just more draft picks outside the 1st round

Martin is extremely hard to value. On potential, it's possible to see his price being a pick in the teens, but he's now in his 6th season, so he has to start being assessed on actual output.

I would say a pick in the mid 20s, but that seems too little, while a pick in the teens just feels too high. The Dogs currently hold Pick 25 which could be used, but would have to attach something else to it. Pick 25 + Pick 43 would be enough draft points I'd think, and may be sufficient depending on where Budarick is bid on in the draft, but I'm sure Suns would rather get an experienced player in return, rather than just more draft picks outside the 1st round
If the recent talk on the GC board is in any way accurate, GC might need some picks to on trade for other players.

Would pick 25 be enough to get Hugh Greenwood from Adelaide?

And GC keeps pick 43 for matching a bid on Budarick.

If the recent talk on the GC board is in any way accurate, GC might need some picks to on trade for other players.

Would pick 25 be enough to get Hugh Greenwood from Adelaide?

And GC keeps pick 43 for matching a bid on Budarick.
I think Pick 25 is pretty close to fair - he's not exactly a star, but is a serviceable player who would easily slot into GC's 22. Basically worth anywhere from Pick 20 - Pick 30 I think.

But yeah, if they need to keep the picks for on-trading, they may just have to go with their 2020 2nd rounder or something like that

is there any indication, even rumors of where he might be heading? better not be to north...

Whichever team he nominates, if I'm Gold Coast I'm asking for a pick and a seasoned veteran back. Gold Coast can replace his talent easily, it's harder to replace the experience.

well if its seasoned players they want, am happy to release wright, mcmillan, and 2nd round pick or 1st round and mcmillan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now injured

Having a horrid second half of the year
Let’s put the injury in to perspective, it was a finger surgery.

You know, the type of injury and surgery you’d play through and postpone if you were in finals contention.

But it’s also the type of injury the club you’re moving to would say, “hey, shut it down for the year, don’t risk a serious injury in the back end of the season.”

Now injured

Having a horrid second half of the year

Too flimsy, pass, we need honest players who are dependable and can root out the weaker players. Time to players like Durdin and mckay into the team for extended run as they are kpp for the modern day and also leaving tarrant to do the intercepting and counter attack stuff. We do need to draft some top small defender. I would absolutely be willing to pay 1 mil+ per season for elite small defenders.

Too flimsy, pass, we need honest players who are dependable and can root out the weaker players. Time to players like Durdin and mckay into the team for extended run as they are kpp for the modern day and also leaving tarrant to do the intercepting and counter attack stuff. We do need to draft some top small defender. I would absolutely be willing to pay 1 mil+ per season for elite small defenders.
Lock down or attacking small defender?

I don’t believe there’s a small defender in the competition who’s on anything close to $1m.

Lock down or attacking small defender?

I don’t believe there’s a small defender in the competition who’s on anything close to $1m.

Attacking, we have marley who is a very good lock down defender. Team usually have 1 top of the line small forward like Betts but to be truly excellent, you need to have the best counter attacking small defender. We need a saad or johanessian type player. It's the player who can link from halfback to mid and forward, the quarterback player is now the MVP. Your dustin martin, de goey, josh kelly type are the ones we see and hear but the real match winners are the ones who run out of defense and deliver balls into the hands of those superstars.

Attacking, we have marley who is a very good lock down defender. Team usually have 1 top of the line small forward like Betts but to be truly excellent, you need to have the best counter attacking small defender. We need a saad or johanessian type player. It's the player who can link from halfback to mid and forward, the quarterback player is now the MVP. Your dustin martin, de goey, josh kelly type are the ones we see and hear but the real match winners are the ones who run out of defense and deliver balls into the hands of those superstars.
Saad's defensive work continues to fly under the radar. But yeah, you definitely should be going after someone like Tom Cutler type.

Has been linked with us in the past and I rate him highly but both his asking price and trade value would be too much. I’d rather sign up the out of contract guys like Parish, Francis, Walla and Draper and try to grab a gem in the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back