Delisted Jack Mayo

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.saints.com.au/news/2019-06-03/vfl-hannebery-returns-king-shines

Brandon White (26 disposals, seven marks) was again solid in setting up the Zebras’ assaults off the half-back line, and was flanked well by Bailey Rice, who played in defence given the inclusion of mid-season recruit, Jack Mayo.

The 19-year-old West Australian competed well in the air (seven marks) and booted a goal in the third term; a moment which saw all his teammates flock to him.

On the brief look and the reports he seems to be a very good pickup.
From what I saw looked very much like a Membrey type with a turn of pace contests well and a nice kicking style.

One passage of play was telling. Sandy had pressed back and got the turnover inside 50, the ball gets to Mayo on centre wing, with no Sandy player in front of him. Takes off has a bounce, looks up, still nobody inside 50, holds it up, cuts inside a defender and with an accurate pass, finds King who brings it to ground, recovers and kicks the goal.

To me he looks like a wingman who can go forward.
Was in the game for the three qrts I saw.

One problem is he has no nickname, all his teammates were just calling for the ball with MAYO, MAYO

From what I saw looked very much like a Membrey type with a turn of pace contests well and a nice kicking style.

One passage of play was telling. Sandy had pressed back and got the turnover inside 50, the ball gets to Mayo on centre wing, with no Sandy player in front of him. Takes off has a bounce, looks up, still nobody inside 50, holds it up, cuts inside a defender and with an accurate pass, finds King who brings it to ground, recovers and kicks the goal.

To me he looks like a wingman who can go forward.
Was in the game for the three qrts I saw.

One problem is he has no nickname, all his teammates were just calling for the ball with MAYO, MAYO

When he's in the seniors he can't do that sh*t. He has to follow Richo's game plan and bomb it! Has to play Saints footy if he wants a game in the seniors!

That's really cool. How long did it take before you realised he was going to be something special?
Not very long at all just seemed to always have his own space
Burke in 87 harves in 88 it was great watching them come thru

Not very long at all just seemed to always have his own space
Burke in 87 harves in 88 it was great watching them come thru

Was born in 87, so naturally I can't remember much of their careers. Probably my earliest Saints memory was wondering why Tony Lockett was no longer called "Anthony Lockett"
Was lucky enough to watch Riewoldt from day 1. Geez I'd love to see another come through soon, that ends up as a legendary Saint.

Was born in 87, so naturally I can't remember much of their careers. Probably my earliest Saints memory was wondering why Tony Lockett was no longer called "Anthony Lockett"
Was lucky enough to watch Riewoldt from day 1. Geez I'd love to see another come through soon, that ends up as a legendary Saint.
It will happen hopefully its King

And Plugger was just amazing to go and watch every Saturday

Jack Mayo
11 disposals, seven marks, one goal

“Early days, but we liked what we saw. It’s been a busy week for Jack; he was on the bird on Monday and then training Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, so it was always [going to be] a challenge implementing him into the group. But I thought he moved well, his forward craft and his decision-making seemed quite good. A fair bit to work with for Jack in terms of what he’s got, and he’ll keep developing in the right way hopefully, but good signs. He can mark it at the highest point, his ability to get to the outlet and get to the exits help, and he seems to have a presence at ground level through his repeat speed, so he seems to have some good attributes that are going to enable him to play some good footy.”

Don’t Panic !!

Happy with pick to be honest , thought they might go Hibberd .

Glad we didn’t go project ruckman , just me but discussed at game yesterday
Think we could have pretty dynamic forward line in 12 months time , with Marsh & Carlisle back
Battle / Membrey / King young forwards coming thru ...with Mayo .

Would love additions as B King as back up ruckman with Marshall rotating think it would be lethal .
Particularly on Marvel stadium...
Awesome to see our new mod overlord karaoke putting some Mayo on the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Mayo
Eight disposals, two marks, six kicks
“Jack’s improving, leaning and he’s only new. He’s improving in terms of his strength as well. Jack’s got a fair way to go to develop – he’s quite immature from a body point of view – but we know that. He’s only going to get better as he plays and we get more minutes into him and then we can review strongly and move on.”

I hope Jack No.7 turns out to be a good player for the Saints.

I hope #1 Jack turns out to be good too.

Give him plenty of VFL this year, a solid pre-season & a decent crack at the 2020 season.

Interesting player type too.

Jack Mayo
10 disposals, two marks, four tackles
“Jack showed some signs in his game that he’s going to keep improving for us. What I liked from him was that he kept getting out and meeting the footy – it wasn’t just feeding back for him so that was really good to see from him.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back