AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
JACK NEWNES
Height: 184cm
Weight: 73kg
Position: Medium midfielder
Versatile type who likes to run with the footy. Averaged 22.8 disposals, six marks and three tackles in the TAC Cup this year. Penetrating kick.

NEWNES%20Jack.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint

by: Patrick Lane
November 25, 2011 12:28PM

JACK Newnes was surrounded by family and intently watching the names called out during the AFL National Draft telecast.
At least until the host broadcaster broke away from proceedings to air an interview with No.1 draft pick Jonathan Patton.

"They were interviewing Jonathan Patton at the time. I pressed the red button (to try and activate a Pay-TV option to switch back to the count) but it didn't change," he said.

"I was kind of listening and I was pretty sure I heard my number.

"I was like ‘hold on, hold on', but then it popped up on the screen with my name and I was just stoked."

Newnes had been secured by St Kilda with the Saints' third pick, 37 overall.

The Saints had touched base with Newnes and family in the lead-up to the draft, but the Thornbury resident had no inkling the Saints were circling.

"They came over and met mum and dad and had a chat to me," he said.

"I don't know. They didn't really give too much away and I certainly didn't have an inkling of where I was going."

The skilful and versatile winger, who played with the Northern Knights and wore Vic Metro colours last year, said remaining in Melbourne was a bonus.

"You obviously want to stay in your own state," he said.

"Of course you'd be happy to go anywhere, but my first preference was definitely to stay here.
"I think mum was even more rapt than me."

And while missing finals in 2010 and losing coach Ross Lyon has some pundits declaring the Saints' premiership window closed, Newnes emphatically denied his new club had run its race.

"They have a new coach who is young and fresh and he has apparently really freshened up the club," he said.

"All the players are rapt to have him and Lenny Hayes will probably be back.

"It will be a big year for the Saints."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jack-newnes-happy-to-be-a-saint/story-fn53klc6-1226205944907

Speaking of Lenny Hayes... Can a kid get better praise?

Last edited by a moderator:

2012 END OF SEASON REVIEW
AFL Kicks Per Match: 7.9
AFL Hand-passes Per Match: 4.4
AFL Marks Per Match: 3.4
AFL Tackles Per Match: 2.7
AFL Goals: 1
AFL Games: 7
VFL Kicks Per Match: 11.3
VFL Hand-passes Per Match: 6.0
VFL Marks Per Match: 3.6
VFL Tackles Per Match: 3.8
VFL Games: 8
VFL Goals: 7
2012 was a season of promise for the Jack Newnes. Newnes showed plenty of potential, earning 7 matches in his début season. Jack has shown poise, goal-sense, leadership potential and an ability to find the football in his first year. The Saints 3rd selection in the 2011 National Draft was likened to Lenny Hayes by first year coach Scott Watters. Newnes quality ball usage was on show multiple times throughout the year, for both Sandringham and the St Kilda Football Club. In his first match for the Saints VFL affiliate, the youngster managed 18 possessions and a staggering 17 of those disposals were efficient. In his AFL début Newnes went at 89% Disposal Efficiency and did not accumulate a single clanger throughout the match. Jack Newnes has started well at St Kilda, displaying potential, determination and leadership despite a quad injury mid-year. The developing midfielder will be eager to build on his brilliant start to his career, and with another few pre-seasons he should become a pivotal part of the St Kilda line-up.
Season Rating: 8/10

I like him a lot too. Love his intensity and courage in the contest and really like the way he kicks a footy, just good to watch it. Can also mark strongly at full stretch overhead, which we saw at least a couple of times in the seniors this year. Will be very interesting to see how good he ends up, especially once he bulks up a bit. Could have a really really good career.

Apparently he has terrific endurance and is one of the "most professional and hardest trainers at the club", which is a huge wrap for someone so young and in their first year at an AFL club. Also wouldn't surprise to see him in the leadership group before too long.

May be given run-with roles a fair bit in his first couple of seasons in the senior side, thanks to his big tank and tenacity, especially if Farren Ray is traded, as we expect he probably will be and now that CJ seems to be on the outer.

newnesc.jpg

Jack+Newnes+AFL+Rd+2+St+Kilda+v+Gold+Coast+1NBEUqpQMV6l.jpg

Jack+Newnes+NAB+Cup+Rd+1+St+Kilda+v+Sydney+sVZxxXDFSrdl.jpg

Skip Album » Random »

From what I saw of Newnes this season I cannot believe we picked him at 37. He has the attributes to be a top 15-20 pick, at least IMO. I think we've got ourselves a bargain.

Newnes had a disgustingly good year in the TAC cup as a 17 year old, and was shaping up to be a top 5 pick if he managed to sustain his great level of development. For whatever reason, he lacked consistency in his second year, and dropped off a fair bit, hence us picking him up so late. He's shown he can be a dominant player in an elite competition before, and he's showing some encouraging signs that he may be able to do so once more. Still early days, but it would appear that the quiet year he had in the TAC Cup last year is the exception, rather than the rule.

Thanks for the reminder about how awful that 'thank you' guernsey was.

Newnes had a disgustingly good year in the TAC cup as a 17 year old, and was shaping up to be a top 5 pick if he managed to sustain his great level of development. For whatever reason, he lacked consistency in his second year, and dropped off a fair bit, hence us picking him up so late. He's shown he can be a dominant player in an elite competition before, and he's showing some encouraging signs that he may be able to do so once more. Still early days, but it would appear that the quiet year he had in the TAC Cup last year is the exception, rather than the rule.
Wow, good for us. :thumbsu:

Pretty sure he was being eyed off as a U17 player for GWS or something? But his form dropped that year and saw him drop down the ranks?
He was very close to being selected alongside Shiel, Bugg, and the other 17 year olds, but just missed out.

I feel it was all the pressure from being so highly touted in his first year of a top-quality competition that contributed rather significantly to his drop-off the following season. I assume that most clubs in the draft last year viewed his outstanding season as a one-off flash in the pan, which happens somewhat regularly; usually followed by that kid only going on to the VFL/rookie lists. St Kilda obviously liked his talents and his attitude, so took the punt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An interesting read from Quigley, from his mock draft 12 months ago:
Pick 50 - Collingwood

I really liked Fasolo last year and was annoyed when he fell into Collingwood’s lap at this stage of the draft last year. This year they could easily get a similar bargain in someone like Newnes. Collingwood have lost a couple of mids and so might be in the market.

Jack Newnes
DOB 2/4/93 Ht 184 Wt 74

Newnes I think is a bit of an underestimated player in this draft on BF. He is a wing / flanker who has played all over the field the last couple of years. At AFL I think he will become a HBFer although he has the flexibility to slot in where needed early.

What I like most with Newnes is his kicking when he has time and space. With space he has good balance and a lovely easy style on his kicks. He gets good penetration and has very nice touch on his kicks when he is kicking within his range. He makes good decisions with the ball and can get the ball to the player when the decision has been made. His kicking is one of the reasons I would like to see him behind the ball at the next level where he can use his kicking ability to full effect. He is very good with kickins as well which is a bit of an art form in itself at AFL level. Despite my preference for him behind the ball its worth noting that his delivery into 50 was also very good at the Champs and he set up a few goals for Patton in particular with very nice kicks delivered just where he needed them. Teams will probably consider this when deciding how to use Newnes.

Behind the ball Newnes also reads the play very well and is excellent at taking the ball away from the opposition whether by marking the kicks coming in, tackling or generally disrupting the player with the ball. I would compare him to Heppell this year for how he plays at the back and what he could bring to a team. He might not be that good but he is in the ballpark at least.

He had a good year last year as a bottom aged player in the TAC but one of the criticisms of him was a lack of physicality in his game. He worked hard at this during the offseason and this year and he has improved a lot in this area. He was played through the middle a lot more at TAC level and during the Champs and his inside game improved out of sight. At TAC level this year he averaged 22.8 disposals a game 8.6 of which were contested. At the Champs he played mostly on the wing but he won his fair share of the ball in tight and he put his head over the ball and attacked it when it was his turn. The improvement he has shown this year in this area is a credit too him and something I am sure the recruiters will consider when considering him.

In tight he works okay and circles the contest quite well looking to influence. He is primarily a receiver but as mentioned he will go and get it when called on. He is pretty one-sided with his handballs, with his left handball being weak and in need of a fair bit or work. On the right though he is pretty solid with his handball skills. He can be a bit rushed in contested situations and his decision making can suffer.

He is a middling athlete being neither particularly slow or quick but he does have good endurance and he has a stride that can eat up the ground when he gets out in the open. He can occasionally run himself into a bit of trouble but for the most part he has pretty good run and carry when he decides to use it. Defensively he works pretty hard and shows good chase. He averaged 3 tackles a game in the TAC but he is still not particularly physical in the tackling contest. This is something which I am sure will be worked on a bit at the next level.

Overall I like the work that Newnes has done on his game this year given that he was already pretty draftable last year. I also like that he continues to have good self awareness and recognises that he needs to improve his strength and is doing quite a lot of gym work whilst he waits for the draft to happen. I would have liked to have seen him get more of the ball at the Champs (14 dpg) which would have assured him of a higher spot in the draft order but I still think he is a good shot to be picked up maybe earlier than many expect.

Like Goddard, Newnes is seen as a utility that can play both ends of the ground and run through the midfield.

"I've been playing up forward, wing, inside and back so that's probably a big one for me because we've got a lot of solid older players that have cemented their role," Newnes told AFL.com.au after last Saturday's game.

"That's been a big thing for me. To be able to play in different areas, so that I can get a game."

But a focus on fine-tuning his inside game has Newnes hoping he can take the next step.

"The coaches are always telling me I need to work on the inside and contested ball side of things, so I've worked on that and think I've got a good balance (between inside and outside)," Newnes said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-15/utility-service

277718-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
Jack Newnes could become a valuable utility for St Kilda​

#16 Jack Newnes

I couldn’t help but wonder whether Newnes’ second season would be a difficult one, particularly with so many people (both inside and outside the club) being so effusive in their praise.

It would seem that Jack managed to meet the fairly lofty expectations, missing just R4-5 (broken jaw), R19 (flu) and R23 (shoulder surgery). Excluding the GWS game, where he was subbed off early because a behind the play elbow, Newnes averaged nearly 16 possessions, 5 marks, and 2.5 tackles – finishing 13th in the B&F.

Newnes made a surprise return against the filth in R6 after the broken jaw (Hayes being injured in the warm up) and, despite only having 12 possessions, showed plenty of character having the 3rd most contested possessions (9) with 2 contested marks and 2 score assists. His resilience was highlighted in the following two weeks with 15 possessions, 7 marks & 5 tackles against Carlton and 25 possessions, 7 marks & 3 tackles against Adelaide.

Whilst Newnes didn’t have any particularly standout games after that, he was always serviceable – although 18 possessions (14 kicks) was a sound return against Sydney in R21 given he had 6 marks, 4 tackles, 4 rebound 50s and 4 inside 50s.

Watters had said in pre-season "Jack just needs to play footy. He's still developing and still hasn't played a lot of games, so I think we've just got to be patient. With the players who've played less than 20 games ... they're going to have some inconsistencies." This wasn’t particularly evident with Newnes, who was always dedicated to the task - with it never seeming that his direct opponent was able to get off the leash.

We caught glimpses of his ability to kick the ball 55m with a flat trajectory, although noting he only had more than 10 kicks five times this season. As he develops and improves his fitness we’ll expect to see alot more of him getting off his man to set up offensive movement. His tackling is also an area which could improve, and I’d be surprised if it didn’t in 2014.

Tony Micale “Jack had a good year. He went from playing seven games last season to 18 games this year as a running half-back. He found the ball and towards the end of the year was averaging about 18 possessions per game which is very good for a defender. Not only did he get his fair share of the ball but he wasn’t exposed defensively. It was a good learning year for him. Another pre-season will help his physicality and running ability. Jack should look to elevate himself to the midfield.”

With the strengthening of the back 6 expected to allow Fisher, Dempster and Roberton to play more free-wheeling roles, it will be interesting to see whether Newnes does transition into a midfield role (or whether it is Jarryn Geary who spends more time in the middle).

Any which way, Newnes remains a steal at pick 37.

Newnes is leading our young kids pack atm

If you look at kids drafted in his year, Newnes is 11th on games played from the 2011 draft (Excluding Rookie upgrades)

That is a great start for a pick 37, looking like good value

He's an example of what can happen when you actually show some faith in a youngster. Wasn't exactly racking them up last year but was "gifted" games and now we're seeing how valuable that experience was. He's having a very good year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back