Delisted Jack Newnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Im really enjoying watching his progress.
Nothing flash. Not a 'superstar' but good steady progress as he approaches the magical 50 game mark. Going to be a good player for us for 200 games.

This is what a rebuild is all about.

Funny enough we were watching the Hawks game and I just noticed he had developed a real poise for the first time. There was a bit of Dal about him moving the ball with the speed of the game seeming to slow around him. He has just clicked into gear and seems on the rise.

Great season by Jack Newnes which probably won't get noticed outside of the club.

Very underrated i think, keep it up Newnesy.

a BIG plus for the saints this year, must of played about 40 games by now, automatic selection every week, one of the few young saints to be able to rest easy on selection day.
saints need to make sure he never runs out of contract, should be automatic selection for the next ten years.

Must say I didn't really rate him at the start of the year.

That has definetly changed.

Shows the value of getting games into young players.
Yep, I was the same, and have well and truly changed my tune.

Tom Harley actually talked about him positively today. I think that's the first time I've seen anybody do that.

Pretty solid number of possessions for Jack! Did he use the ball well?
26 possessions, 10 marks - DT score 101; Supercoach 104 - would suggest he played pretty well & used the ball well too

(I know it doesnt tell the full story, but Newnes did have the 2nd highest SC score of our team behind Roo's 123)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

26 possessions, 10 marks - DT score 101; Supercoach 104 - would suggest he played pretty well & used the ball well too

(I know it doesnt tell the full story, but Newnes did have the 2nd highest SC score of our team behind Roo's 123)
I only ask because finding the ball doesn't seem to be a problem anymore whereas his kicking can be inconsistent, much more interested in what he does with it now.

He has had a good year... I have him 5th in the B&F ... At 21 not too bad

His kicking is iffy generally.... Can be very good but unreliable

Reminds me a lot of Gram

He has had a good year... I have him 5th in the B&F ... At 21 not too bad

His kicking is iffy generally.... Can be very good but unreliable

Reminds me a lot of Gram

It's much better than grams. He mostly hits targets while throwing up a shocker every now and again. Gram was a butcher but had some special attributes with his speed and athleticism.

I think both their kicking technique and reliability is similar.

High drop, like to kick long and are hit and miss.

Without checking I'd reckon For outside players they have similar efficiency numbers.

Jack has turned it over a lot this year... Not as much as his namesake but.

Kicking efficiency can come down to options... Also

Because we don't work hard offensively, there are fewer free targets to hit.

Our work rate off the ball is pathetic (Riewoldt, Steven aside)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-17/newnes-up-for-challenge

Young Saint's big response to coach's challenge

JACK Newnes has shown he's physically prepared to answer Alan Richardson's challenge to St Kilda's young midfielders to step up in 2015 by blitzing the field in a time trial on Wednesday.

Shortly after Richardson told reporters he expected the Saints' improvement to be driven by their middle-tier players, Newnes streaked home in a 2km time trial at Casey Fields.

I am looking forward to Newnes playing next year and seeing him develop as a player.

Must admit I've not rated him highly in the past, but this changed in '14.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-17/newnes-up-for-challenge

Young Saint's big response to coach's challenge

JACK Newnes has shown he's physically prepared to answer Alan Richardson's challenge to St Kilda's young midfielders to step up in 2015 by blitzing the field in a time trial on Wednesday.

Shortly after Richardson told reporters he expected the Saints' improvement to be driven by their middle-tier players, Newnes streaked home in a 2km time trial at Casey Fields.

I am looking forward to Newnes playing next year and seeing him develop as a player.

Must admit I've not rated him highly in the past, but this changed in '14.
One thing I'm sure of is that at some stage Newnes will captain this club.

I
I just went back and watched that game again and I have to agree that Spencer just looks like a natural forward. His ability to create separation on the lead was very good and went unrewarded. In any one on one contests he uses his body with great aggression and effect. Very confident in his kicking on goal. Interestingly, he was much more prominent than Stanley, who was eventually subbed off.

However, he has no defensive mindset, and the Tigers recognized it so whoever was playing on White spread hard on turnover knowing that he would be unmarked and able to receive over the top. Whenever his initial lead wasn't honored he didn't have the ability to double back and go again with the same gusto like we have seen Roo do for ten plus years.

Overall, I think as his body matures he will become a real powerhouse out of the square. Definitely a keeper and plenty to like even without top end endurance.

As an aside I also noticed Lenny Hayes ability to be third man up in the ruck and offer timely support. Is there anyone in the young brigade who is capable of doing the same?
I'm hoping Newnes could start playing inside midfield soon. Hes got a strong body and an awesome tank on him. He's 184cm he has got real good hops. Maybe he could start doing that 3rd man up shenanigans in the near future.

I think that Newnes is going to end up sticking at the back. Last year was his break-out year, but he was forced to play inside a couple games and they were his worst. I think he struggles with positioning/awareness when he's right in amongst it.

As an aside I also noticed Lenny Hayes ability to be third man up in the ruck and offer timely support. Is there anyone in the young brigade who is capable of doing the same?

Interesting note, I'd always been aware of Lenny's aggressive attempts at the boundary restarts in particular. But it's not a common thing in general - Jordan Lewis is maybe the only other mid I see firing his body through the ruck contest with any sort of regularity.

I think that Newnes is going to end up sticking at the back. Last year was his break-out year, but he was forced to play inside a couple games and they were his worst. I think he struggles with positioning/awareness when he's right in amongst it.

Interesting note, I'd always been aware of Lenny's aggressive attempts at the boundary restarts in particular. But it's not a common thing in general - Jordan Lewis is maybe the only other mid I see firing his body through the ruck contest with any sort of regularity.
Personally I don't see why you can't play midfield and not be inside. Plenty of those. He has some defensive tendencies, so perhaps his natural position is HBF, but he has character and desire and I think that often drives anything else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back