Delisted Jack Newnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack was just ok against the Hawks. He had 16 disposals and kicked a goal . I know he has been playing injured but with his limited output you wonder why they are playing him at all when they could be trying a young kid instead .

Go Saints

What happened to Newnes this year? Has been a good, reliable player for a number of years, and looked like he might be one to take that "next step" up n 2018, but went backwards severely:

2014-2017 - 88 games, 85.00% time on ground, 21.63 disposals per game, 5.42 marks per game, 3.38 inside 50s per game, 3.41 tackles per game, Champion Data Player Ranking Score average of 86.32

2018 - 22 games, 82.64% time on ground, 15.68 disposals per game, 4.59 marks per game, 3.18 inside 50s per game, 2.14 tackles per game, Champion Data Player Ranking Score average of 65.59

Just a product of the team's performance overall and the gameplan and his role (spending more time forward, not getting the delivery, etc.), or something else? He hasn't missed a game in five seasons, but is it a bit of a concern that he's regressing at this point, given his age and experience level (135 games under his belt, turns 26 in February)? Is he expected to bounce back in 2019?

Jack Newnes whipping boy for 2018 BF. Well new season starts and we start with a clean slate. Yeah right!!

As a senior player I reckon Jack would be the first to admit it was not a good year and he and the club performance mirrored it.

22 games played so had every opportunity Fantasy point score down to mid 60s from mid 80s that's 25 percent drop. Clearly a different role as a forward rather than rebounding defender in his earlier years as Richo looked for answers to a poor performing forward set up.

Hampered by Injury perhaos but we do not really know but JN is nothing but durable playing every game in last 4 years.

Clearly nearly first picked each week as you know what you get from JN a solid effort. He should be at the top of his game and needs to stand up and lead.

JN is a bell weather for our club if he is up and about so will the Saints. Returning to 2017 numbers and we finish better 9-14 whereas if we see 2018 numbers 13 to 16.

Others players are now pressing for his senior spot Clark even Kent. It is his to lose.....over to you Jack2

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jack Newnes whipping boy for 2018 BF. Well new season starts and we start with a clean slate. Yeah right!!

As a senior player I reckon Jack would be the first to admit it was not a good year and he and the club performance mirrored it.

22 games played so had every opportunity Fantasy point score down to mid 60s from mid 80s that's 25 percent drop. Clearly a different role as a forward rather than rebounding defender in his earlier years as Richo looked for answers to a poor performing forward set up.

Hampered by Injury perhaos but we do not really know but JN is nothing but durable playing every game in last 4 years.

Clearly nearly first picked each week as you know what you get from JN a solid effort. He should be at the top of his game and needs to stand up and lead.

JN is a bell weather for our club if he is up and about so will the Saints. Returning to 2017 numbers and we finish better 9-14 whereas if we see 2018 numbers 13 to 16.

Others players are now pressing for his senior spot Clark even Kent. It is his to lose.....over to you Jack2

He might have a lot of competition this year.
With Kent and the two new mature age draftee's , there seems to be little room for him in the forward line, and there is probably Savage , Sinclair, and Hind able to play the outside midfield role, and maybe some others like Coffield or Billings.

He might have a lot of competition this year.
With Kent and the two new mature age draftee's , there seems to be little room for him in the forward line, and there is probably Savage , Sinclair, and Hind able to play the outside midfield role, and maybe some others like Coffield or Billings.
Yeah he should feel the hot breath of competition for a starting 22 spot. Still reckon he has gets the benefit due to exposed form.

This time in 2016 we had Mav and him in best 12. Look where they are now.

At His best he is top 12 his worst is top 25.

Billings and Gresh will wax a fwd spot with onballer.

Maybe him, Clark and Membrey the other onballer, bench and forward rotation spot as he can take a grab.

Maybe Matt Parker does an amazing transformation into AFL like one N Winmar otherwise cannot see any of the others getting in. Kent takes small forward role ahead of JL but behind Long.

Paton and Phillips not yet. Coffield back flank and Bytel in the middle.

Ahead of Sinclair as both had horrid years. Start running out of names.

So J2 starts and it is his to lose is my guess.

Well sounds like Jack played injured last year....judging by the first two matches he is back to his old self.

You know the one who has played all those consecutive matches but had no talent as a few posters suggested and demanded his sacking.

Well.... he answered in his usual way consistent strong performance..putting his head over the ball and a strong contributor to Saints 2 zip start especially over the bunch of flogs Essendope.

Very happy he is in my Supercoach team and over 100 each week.

Go Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack and Bruuuce

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jack Newnes
21 disposals, 19 kicks, two tackles
“I liked the way Jack played, he came back as an inside mid and along the wing and he was really good for us. Jack hadn’t been dropped for his career, but what impressed me the most was that he had a ripping attitude. His leadership was superb, his inside work was strong and his outside work and run and transition was first-class, so I thought it was a really solid game from Jack.”

Newnes reaches 150
Chris Nice
Jul 11, 2019 5:10PM

Club stalwart Jack Newnes will play his 150th career game this weekend against Geelong. - St Kilda,St Kilda Saints,Jack Newnes

Club stalwart Jack Newnes will play his 150th career game this weekend against Geelong.
Related
Hard-nosed Saint Jack Newnes will celebrate his 150th career game against the Cats on Saturday.
‘Jill’ was selected with pick No. 37 in the 2011 National Draft alongside Seb Ross and Jimmy Webster, before making his debut the following year against Gold Coast as a 19-year-old.
The No. 16 made sporadic appearances in his first season, before becoming a mainstay in the following years.
Most notably, Newnes shares the club record with Ian Synman for the most consecutive games (123), which began in Round 1, 2014 and came to an end just a few weeks ago.
Watch the Saints take on the Cats this week LIVE with Kayo. Sign up for your FREE 14-day trial.
Such an impressive tally is indicative of his consistency at the elite level, which he has held across his past eight seasons at St Kilda.
“It has flown and it’s gone extremely fast. I probably didn’t think I’d get here when I started but I’ve loved every minute,” Newnes told saints.com.au.
“I’m happy to play anywhere for the team, play a role – I’ve been thrown around a bit but I love that.”
Newnes started Season 2019 in form, averaging 24 disposals from his first six games and piecing together some last-minute heroics in the Saints’ clash against Hawthorn which went down to the wire.

100309-Member-940x75.jpg

Despite quieter outings in recent weeks, the 26-year-old places in St Kilda’s top-five for inside-50s (50), metres gained (4,678), uncontested possessions (177) and rebound-50s (36) to remain an integral cog in the Saints’ on-ball machine.
A career-high 35-disposal effort against the Western Bulldogs in 2017 along with his four-goal bag against Collingwood last season place among some of Newnes’ best performances, while in 2016 and 2017, he ticked above 500 disposals for the year.
But despite the individual achievements, Newnes attributes the best moments at the club to the wins he’s experienced with his teammates.
And although the game against the Cats will be a significant milestone for Newnes, it will be secondary in his mind as the Saints hunt for the four points.
“I’ve loved playing with my mates and I love the club, so it’s been a good ride,” Newnes said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After another indifferent year might find himself used as trade bait thats if anyone wants him of course . I feel he would benefit from a change of scenery . A bunch of other players have jumped ahead of him now and without Richo there to give him a game every week he might struggle to stay in the side .

Newnes departs St Kilda
saints.com.au
Oct 25, 2019 10:00AM

Jack Newnes will depart Moorabbin after 155 games in the red, white and black. - St Kilda Saints,Jack Newnes

Jack Newnes will depart Moorabbin after 155 games in the red, white and black.
Related
  • St Kilda Football Club thanks Jack Newnes for his significant contribution to the Saints, with the wingman set to explore his options as a delisted free-agent.
    St Kilda List Manager James Gallagher said the club respected Newnes’ decision to seek a fresh start.
    “We did present Jack a with a contract offer and have been in regular discussion with him and his manager over the past month,” Gallagher said.

“In the end, Jack has decided the time is right for a fresh start and we have agreed to delist him. This will allow him the opportunity to join another club as a de-listed free agent.
    “Jack has been an integral part of the Saints for the past eight years. His character, durability, willingness to play different roles and commitment to driving the standards off the track saw him elevated to the club’s leadership group between 2017-2018.”
    “He is a life member of the club, highly regarded by his teammates and coaches, and we wish him all the best for the future.”
    Newnes played 155 games for the Saints after being drafted with pick 37 in the 2011 AFL Draft.
    The 26-year-old equalled a club record this season with his 123rd game in succession.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back