Free Agency Jack Newnes [Signs with Carlton as DFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

A clear casualty of the Hill arrival & wage bill.

Are you saying Hill doesn't put his head over the ball either? and that we can't have 2 of them?

Newnes missing 2 games in 6 years is precisely the reason we are chasing greater depth.

Had the chance to grab his as a FA already.

I think the Blues are only keen because they missed out on getting any trades in.
No. We were interested in him as a delisted free agent before trade week ended.

And we only missed out on Papley, who Sydney refused to trade (which is fair enough). Newnes and Papley aren't exactly like for like.

No. We were interested in him as a delisted free agent before trade week ended.

And we only missed out on Papley, who Sydney refused to trade (which is fair enough). Newnes and Papley aren't exactly like for like.
But he hadn't been delisted. I'm still not sure he has? He did have a contract in front of him prior to trade week.

He was a FA Carlton could have taken him before FA deadline if they were actually keen on him.

Last edited:

But he hadn't been delisted. I'm still not sure he has? He did have a contract in front of him prior to trade week.

He was a FA Carlton could have taken him before FA deadline if they were actually keen on him.
Well if he does want to come to Carlton I doubt it would be a big deal to make it so. Either he'll get delisted or he'd go into the draft and we'd pick him up with a late pick.

If we had picked him up before trade week that's one list spot tied down, and you never know what's going to happen during trade week. You don't want to miss an opportunity because you haven't got enough spots available on your list.

Regardless I think he'll continue his career somewhere next year.

Well if he does want to come to Carlton I doubt it would be a big deal to make it so. Either he'll get delisted or he'd go into the draft and we'd pick him up with a late pick.

If we had picked him up before trade week that's one list spot tied down, and you never know what's going to happen during trade week. You don't want to miss an opportunity because you haven't got enough spots available on your list.

Regardless I think he'll continue his career somewhere next year.
Okay.

Sounds like it is tied into missing out on Papley then, like I suggested.

Okay.

Sounds like it is tied into missing out on Papley then, like I suggested.
No, not really. As I said, our interest was first mentioned in the middle of trade week. At the time we still believed that Papley would happen, and we would've had enough list spots for Papley, Martin and Newnes regardless. Not getting Papley just means we pick up an extra delisted free agent, or use a very late pick in the draft.

No, not really. As I said, our interest was first mentioned in the middle of trade week. At the time we still believed that Papley would happen, and we would've had enough list spots for Papley, Martin and Newnes regardless. Not getting Papley just means we pick up an extra delisted free agent, or use a very late pick in the draft.
Right, so there was always room for him, but instead of taking him as a FA they decided to let it wait until (hopefully) St Kilda delist him and take him as a DFA.

And if the Saints don't delist him Carlton would be happy to use a draft pick on him rather than take him as a FA for nothing previously.

Surprised he hasn't been picked up yet. GC and Carlton are the obvious fits. He was playing well until about rd8 this year (his numbers were really good).

Nothing to lose on him really.

Has some value for teams needing wingers/endurance athletes.
Falls victim bc of hill jones hind butler.

Got better players now.

Surprised he hasn't been picked up yet. GC and Carlton are the obvious fits. He was playing well until about rd8 this year (his numbers were really good).

Nothing to lose on him really.
FA window not open till the 1st Nov ...he’d know where he’s going by now .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does he make Carlton worse or are you hoping that so you can make amends for your last effort against Blues
Because he's just not a good player

I use to love Newnes a few years ago, but for someone who's blessed with such elite running capabilities he really is a limited 1 way runner, if you could even call him that. He did have some mongrel in him early in his career but now is close to allergic to the contest and has a lot of games where he doesn't even register any tackles. At times he looks as though he doesn't even care defensively. Use to be a deadly kick too but I'm not sure what happened to that either? He has some great leadership qualities and was really well liked within the playing group but what's the use in that if you're not even best 22 worthy?

Maybe a new environment will spark some life back into Jill because we have seen he has the tools to be a very handy player but I'm pretty glad he's moved on from the Saints. Very frustrating player to watch.

Pretty spot on there.

We aren’t losing much with him going and atleast now he can stop getting unwarranted games because he was Richos love child.

Newnes appears to be on the outer at the Saints. His role as an outside runner was compromised by his skills. Has had some very good matches for the Saints but he is now surplus to our needs. There is no bad blood there and we had no trade offers - I think they will facilitate a transfer to a team of his choice. I also suspect that Carlton have been eyeing off what players they can snag in the preseason draft and DFA's in order to band aid their trade performance

to Carlton as a delisted free agent

the article says St Kilda offered him a two year contract - I was under the impression that means he can't be a delisted free agent if that happens?

to Carlton as a delisted free agent

the article says St Kilda offered him a two year contract - I was under the impression that means he can't be a delisted free agent if that happens?
Mutual agreement, he wasn't happy with the money offered. Normally i think that if a player refuses to sign a contract he has to go into one of the drafts, but by coming to a mutual agreement Saints will delist him.

Mutual agreement, he wasn't happy with the money offered. Normally i think that if a player refuses to sign a contract he has to go into one of the drafts, but by coming to a mutual agreement Saints will delist him.
Could this just be a way Carlton didn't want to give any picks for him?

I also suspect that Carlton have been eyeing off what players they can snag in the preseason draft and DFA's in order to band aid their trade performance
Yes, that or trying to add some mid age depth as we have been been pretty vocal about for a year or two.

Happy enough with Newnes, improves our best 25 or so, though would want to re-discover his 16/17 form to play regularly.

Could this just be a way Carlton didn't want to give any picks for him?
St Kilda didn't have to delist him, they could have sent him to the draft. So they must have been happy losing his salary and Carlton get him for nothing which would please them.

St Kilda didn't have to delist him, they could have sent him to the draft. So they must have been happy losing his salary and Carlton get him for nothing which would please them.
No, we didn’t have to delist him.
But that’s where these sort of things can be mutually beneficial to all 3 parties.
St Kilda cleared out a player who is mid tier, but demanding of a top 25% salary
Carlton picked up a player for nothing that may be in their top 25.
The player gets the contract they were after.
No bad blood between the player and the 2 clubs. This paves way for healthy trade relationships in the future.
Much like when Sydney released Membrey and the Saints picked him up. We have been easy to deal with in the past 2 years.
Cant say the same for Freo and Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back