Free Agency Jack Newnes [Signs with Carlton as DFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

diddley1984

The biggest horse in all of Norway
Sep 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
St.Kilda fans bagging an ex-player and downplaying his value...BF at it's best.
Don’t worry mate. We were bagging him long before he was an ex-player. He has been bashed on multiple saints boards (bf & non-bf) for the past 2 years.
And as for downplaying his value. He brought us no value in the end.
As for his value to Carlton, he is a worthwhile mid range mid sized utility for no trade cost, while still having the age and body to play 100 games. That’s a bargain.

diddley1984

The biggest horse in all of Norway
Sep 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah...don’t know much about him.

Was surprised that he was such a whipping boy for Saints fans as he seems an unobtrusive sort of player.
That was part of the problem. The expectations were higher. He could have been anything. Stalled, then seem to go backwards.

HereComesJuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Thomas would have been a free hit too. Just seems a bit of a kick in the teeth for him.
Dale Thomas.
Nice player.
Turns 33 in June.
Would be on his last season.
Plays back pocket.
Sam Docherty to return.
We have players such as Doc, Simpson, Newman, Stocker, Williamson and other players rotating through that area and we potentially will add Jack Martin who would be use sometimes down back.
Also... thomas was a disrupter. There's been a fair bit come out of the club about Dale that many seniors and coaching staff we not happy with.

Jack Newnes.
Nice player.
27 at the start of 2020.
Plays wing (an area we could do with an extra player in whether it be in the 1sts or reserves).
Hard running mid who can go forward.
No recent injuries and looks to have 5 or so years left.
Free.

No brainer for me

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
Mate if a Saints supporter had compared Newnes to Ed Curnow 6 months ago Blues fans would have had a fit. Now they're similar lol. That's Bigfooty at its finest.
The comparison to Ed Curnow was with regard to his preparation and helping drive professional standards at the club.
Running your mouth about s**t that you clearly don't understand - now, that's Bigfooty at it's finest.:rolleyes:

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
The comparison to Ed Curnow was with regard to his preparation and helping drive professional standards at the club.
Running your mouth about s**t that you clearly don't understand - now, that's Bigfooty at it's finest.:rolleyes:
How do you know anything about his preparation and how he drives standards?

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
St.Kilda fans bagging an ex-player and downplaying his value...BF at it's best.

Newnes..26 year old with strong leadership qualities who has played 155 games, was in the Saints leadership group for two years, and is said to be an exceptional trainer. He has been recruited to provide on & off field leadership and to play wing; a position we have been very weak in for the last ten years. He cost nothing. He is a perfect fit for us.

Mature age - tick
AFL ready - tick
Leadership qualities - tick
Paid nothing - tick

Carlton gave up nothing for him in terms of trade and draft so its an excellent result to get him to the club under those circumstances.

Time will tell whether it is a shrewd recruitment or whether he is the hack some Saints fans are calling him.
Maybe read the saints board over the last 2 years, the bagging hasn't just started now he's left. Supporters have wanted him out of our side for ages.

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Maybe read the saints board over the last 2 years, the bagging hasn't just started now he's left. Supporters have wanted him out of our side for ages.
This. The moans of mystification every week newnes was chosen in 22. We couldnt believe it. Obviously lacked wingers/crumbing forwards.

Got Hill, Jones and Butler.
;)

Whos golden now? THE SAINTERS!! GO SAINTS stick IT up EM!!

Newnes v Hill
lol cannot wait to see this.

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
This. The moans of mystification every week newnes was chosen in 22. We couldnt believe it. Obviously lacked wingers/crumbing forwards.

Got Hill, Jones and Butler.
;)

Whos golden now? THE SAINTERS!! GO SAINTS stick IT up EM!!

Newnes v Hill
lol cannot wait to see this.
This. Jones is angry and has below average disposal and decision making.

Butler is quick but has below average skills and decision making.

Hill is exceptionally talented but is a pisshead with questionable drive..

Jones, Butler and hill cost you what as far as draft picks compared to what Carlton paid for Newnes? Who’s showering in golden showers now?

Hill is exceptionally talented but is a pisshead with questionable drive..
Hill is the best two way runner in the competition. Have you ever watched him play?

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Hill is the best two way runner in the competition. Have you ever watched him play?
Yep. Watched a lot of his games. Absolute jet who runs all day and has elite foot skills. That’s not the issue.

Did you know he was blind drunk in a bayside bar recently? Not a great start at his new club I wouldn’t think. Star recruit stuffing up off the field in his first week at his new club.

The point I was making to the Saints fans bagging Newnes was that although Newnes is not in Hills class, he is a great role model on & off the field and didn’t cost the $900k per year Hill was bragging about at the bar.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pablito

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep. Watched a lot of his games. Absolute jet who runs all day and has elite foot skills. That’s not the issue.

Have you seen him drink? Did you know he was blind drunk in a bayside bar recently?

Not a good start at his new club don’t you agree?
Which one? Hotel Brighton? Or maybe somewhere a bit more grungy, the marine?

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
You clearly haven't watched Brad Hill play. He's at his best when his team are struggling
He'd be the opposite of a downhill skier in the context you are using the term.

Can't we go back to talking about Newnes who's a very good addition to the Carlton side?
Go on then.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
I think Newnes is an excellent addition to Carlton. Brings a very good work ethic and could prove to be their most astute mature age recruit of the past six years.
I can agree with you on that (for the first time) but i'm trying to work out if your being serious or not.

Deadpool

All Australian
Jun 3, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Non St Kilda/Carlton here.

Very good pick up, and exactly what Carlton's needs right now. They have no legitimate wings and Newnes will at least fill a space that a younger players would have done only through necessity. 26, runs hard and is a dependable soldier.

I'm more grumpy about Martin, that's player that slots in at Carlton too well.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
All we need is for Newnes to be another Newman type. Cost nothing and is a strong body that will do a good job week in week out. With the youth we have we need these types. I also like his ball use.

Can play HB/HF or Wing so he's a great addition.

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
All we need is for Newnes to be another Newman type. Cost nothing and is a strong body that will do a good job week in week out. With the youth we have we need these types. I also like his ball use.

Can play HB/HF or Wing so he's a great addition.

I never really rated Newman at the swans, I've always rated Newnes at the Saints. Reckon this will be a Heath Scotland type pick up.

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
How do you know anything about his preparation and how he drives standards?
I've got ties to 2 Saints players who have stated as much so there's that, additionally he was in your leadership group so the expectation would be that he'd be somewhat professional.
You disagree which is fine but your club and its players don't. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back