Free Agency Jack Newnes [Signs with Carlton as DFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
I never really rated Newman at the swans, I've always rated Newnes at the Saints. Reckon this will be a Heath Scotland type pick up.
I always rated Newman at Swans but never really rated Newnes much at Saints as anything more than foot soldier.
Reckon this will be a Richard Hadley type pick up. Hoping he is better though....

HereComesJuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
I always rated Newman at Swans but never really rated Newnes much at Saints as anything more than foot soldier.
Reckon this will be a Richard Hadley type pick up. Hoping he is better though....
Glad we didnt give up pick 52 then like we did for hadley.
With any player that costs nothing, i expect zero from. If a team gets something out of a player who costs nothing, just take it as a win.

Needs to get in front of (or close to) Fisher, Dow, Martin, O'Brien, Walsh etc for a gig in the 22. His age might help in amongst that lot

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Glad we didnt give up pick 52 then like we did for hadley.
With any player that costs nothing, i expect zero from. If a team gets something out of a player who costs nothing, just take it as a win.
Exactly!!!!
Which is why I laugh to myself at the types that carry on when a Cam O'Shea, Aaron Mullett or Matt Shaw get cut a year or two later and some act like it is a recruiting failure. If you picked up as de-listed free agent or a mature late pick in any draft then you are not great odds to be any long term player and a bonus if you give good service for a few years like a Matthew Wright and actually make it is seniors. I'll be very content if Newnes is a good leader in VFL team to youngsters and plays the odd game in seniors if we got a few injuries. I probably expect he will be an emergency most weeks.

Exactly!!!!
Which is why I laugh to myself at the types that carry on when a Cam O'Shea, Aaron Mullett or Matt Shaw get cut a year or two later and some act like it is a recruiting failure. If you picked up as de-listed free agent or a mature late pick in any draft then you are not great odds to be any long term player and a bonus if you give good service for a few years like a Matthew Wright and actually make it is seniors. I'll be very content if Newnes is a good leader in VFL team to youngsters and plays the odd game in seniors if we got a few injuries. I probably expect he will be an emergency most weeks.

Newnes will play senior footy more often than not in 2020. Just as Newman did in 2019 when many thought he'd be behind our kids.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dale Thomas.
Nice player.
Turns 33 in June.
Would be on his last season.
Plays back pocket.
Sam Docherty to return.
We have players such as Doc, Simpson, Newman, Stocker, Williamson and other players rotating through that area and we potentially will add Jack Martin who would be use sometimes down back.
Also... thomas was a disrupter. There's been a fair bit come out of the club about Dale that many seniors and coaching staff we not happy with.

Jack Newnes.
Nice player.
27 at the start of 2020.
Plays wing (an area we could do with an extra player in whether it be in the 1sts or reserves).
Hard running mid who can go forward.
No recent injuries and looks to have 5 or so years left.
Free.

No brainer for me
lol, daisy>newnes any day of the week in terms of footballing ability

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I tend to think many/most footy pundits rated Newman at The Swans, it was just Horse that didn't seem to rate him. Don't think as many are as bullish on Newnes tbh, but I have been told by a few Saints that he was played out of position by Richardson.It may just be a case that both parties (St Kilda and Newnes) need a fresh start..

There doesn't have to be a winner or losing party in all of this, I sincerely hope the Sainters enjoy success under Brett Ratten. And it's a free hit for Carlton.

yeah, nah.. Newman has genuine attributes that meant senior games was almost a certainty. Newnes is way more vanilla foot solidierish...

We'll see but I am very confident Newnes will play plenty of senior footy for Carlton in 2020.

Not sure what "genuine attributes" mean but Newnes is one of the few "genuine" wings we have at the club entering the 2020 season.

Every club needs and has vanilla foot soldiers, not sure why that is a mark against him. Foot soldiers end up with premiership medals around their neck every year.

Certainly not suggesting Newnes will follow suit but it is silly to dismiss or write off someone just because they don't necessarily stand out to the naked eye. Experience is paramount.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Every club needs and has vanilla foot soldiers, not sure why that is a mark against him.
It is not a mark against him at all. Good effort to get as far as he has. He is good depth as a mature body foot soldier if we have 6 or more mature bodied players out of our best 22 at some point of season.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I tend to think many/most footy pundits rated Newman at The Swans, it was just Horse that didn't seem to rate him. Don't think as many are as bullish on Newnes tbh, but I have been told by a few Saints that he was played out of position by Richardson.It may just be a case that both parties (St Kilda and Newnes) need a fresh start..

There doesn't have to be a winner or losing party in all of this, I sincerely hope the Sainters enjoy success under Brett Ratten. And it's a free hit for Carlton.
Newnes was not played out of position under Richo. If anything Richo gave him a free pass and played him on the wing much longer than his form warranted him too.

He was only moved out of the midfield after a few months (and the whole of 2018) of bad form and Ratts took over.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Newnes of 2-3 seasons ago is better than anything Newman has or will produce.

If we can play to his strengths and get him back to that we’ll have a gem, if we can’t do that he’s at worst a really nice VFL player. Not the worst DFA you’ll see.

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Newnes was not played out of position under Richo. If anything Richo gave him a free pass and played him on the wing much longer than his form warranted him too.

He was only moved out of the midfield after a few months (and the whole of 2018) of bad form and Ratts took over.
Yet it’s on record that Newnes was played as a defensive wingman last year..

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yet it’s on record that Newnes was played as a defensive wingman last year..
He was played on the wing when Richo was our coach which he has stated multiple times is his best position. There was nothing particularly defensive about his role, and if there was meant to be then he did a terrible job at it.

It was Ratten who took him off the wing after a few months of underwhelming form played him as a defensive forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
He was played on the wing when Richo was our coach which he has stated multiple times is his best position. There was nothing particularly defensive about his role, and if there was meant to be then he did a terrible job at it.

It was Ratten who took him off the wing after a few months of underwhelming form played him as a defensive forward.
So you don’t rate him?

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
So you don’t rate him?
No, I am one of the few saints supporters who has constantly stuck up for him and am disappointed we lost him for nothing since he is a great depth player due to being able to play anywhere well. I was also very surprised the lack of interest in him during the FA period since he was free - I thought Melbourne especially would have been a great fit for him.

But there is no denying his past two seasons have been very underwhelming despite being given more opportunities than anyone else on our list to turn it around. And going from potential future captain to being removed from the leadership group and then not wanting to be retained by the club raises more questions around him.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Newnes went about 10 rounds in 2018 barely laying a tackle. Supporters were frustrated with that type of effort. All well and good to say he was played out of position but he really needed to pull his finger out. Hope he does so at Carlton.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
He was played out of position because Richo never dropped him and other players went past him for the half-back role. He was finally dropped and admitted in an interview that he was unhappy with it.
So he was gifted far too many games despite not warranting selection, then had a sook because he didn't get his favourite position. Maybe if he had pulled his finger out, laid a tackle every now and again he would've been good enough? It's not like he was in a side competing for a flag so it reflects pretty poorly on him.

KnaveyBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2003
57 Mt. Pleasant Street
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
Newnes went about 10 rounds in 2018 barely laying a tackle. Supporters were frustrated with that type of effort. All well and good to say he was played out of position but he really needed to pull his finger out. Hope he does so at Carlton.

Confirmed - 9 tackles in the first 10 games of 2018. The drop off in his form, statistically speaking, between 2017 to 2018 is amazing. Did he get switched to a primarily forward role? Because there' basically a 25-30% drop off across the board on all stats except goals/shots on goal, which are way up compared to the rest of his career. What exactly happened?

He also seemed to start 2019 really strong, then falls away badly.

beowulf

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2009
Golden Square
AFL Club
Carlton
I can't say that I rated Newnes at St, Kilda, but that is me. I didn't watch much of the 'Aints (Thank God!)
Now that we've picked him up, I hope he can be a contributor. However, I am not expecting much. Hope: now that is a different question. I hope he can be a Hogg or a Newman or a Scotland. But I'm expecting him to be a Billy Smedts.

Back