Free Agency Jack Newnes [Signs with Carlton as DFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
CARLTON is eyeing a play to land St Kilda's Jack Newnes for free after the midfielder was left without a contract following Wednesday's trade deadline.

A restricted free agent entering the off-season, Newnes had previously turned down a two-year offer from the Saints to explore his options on the open market.

After there were no takers as a free agent, Newnes is considering entering the delisted free agency window, with Carlton a chance to swoop on his services for nothing.

I'm puzzled.

Given Newnes was offered a new contract by St Kilda and has not been delisted, how does he now qualify as a DFA? If those are the rules then any RFA could simply decline their club's offer then walk without the possibility of matching (or compensation).

I'm puzzled.

Given Newnes was offered a new contract by St Kilda and has not been delisted, how does he now qualify as a DFA?
Once his RFA lapses or is matched he is treated the same way as an out of contract player. He is still bound to the club until the conclusion of the draft. So he'd have to either nominate for the draft, sign a contract with St Kilda, or be delisted by St Kilda and become a free agent. If he delists himself or retires then he isn't entitled to free agency.

I find it a little bit hard to believe that someone in the top 25% of player salaries at the club would be delisted rather than attempting a trade or rfa offer.

Taylor might have better insight on this one, she's more across the free agency rules than I am.

I'm puzzled.

Given Newnes was offered a new contract by St Kilda and has not been delisted, how does he now qualify as a DFA? If those are the rules then any RFA could simply decline their club's offer then walk without the possibility of matching (or compensation).
Shhhhh

Let him walk to Carlton first THEN you can review the rules all you want

Thought this guy was pretty decent, surprised no one was/is interested.
Gets a lot unfair criticism from StKilda supporters because he was played all of 2018 despite injured and never regained his form for that year. He started 2019 really well and was a major reason why we were winning but entered a form slump after about rd8, like the rest of the team. After he was dropped, the coaches played him as a lock down forward and he was fantastic, then he went out late with gastro against Adelaide and the guy he would have locked down on ended up being best on with 40+ disposals.

He is a good player and is way too good not to be on a list. He can play anywhere - kicked 4.2 against Collingwood as a make shift full forward in 2018, has a big tank to play on the wing and probably his best position is off half back (but for some reason Richo hadn't played him there for a few years).

I'm surprised Gold Coast, Freo and Melbourne didnt pick him as a wing option because he is better and cheaper option than who they all picked up. I hope he ends up staying.

A fairly decent footballer. I wouldn't say no especially given he is a free hit for a couple of years as either depth or a role player across half back or on a wing. We are still fairly young so some experience would be helpful. I mean, he is a better option that some of our previous duds...Billie Smedts, Cam oShea, Thomas Bugg and Aaron Mullet. At least this guy is a solid B grader

Would think he will fit in well at any bottom 10 club.
Getting a solid versatile role player for nothing is a good investment. Doesn't have to be anywhere above the 16th-22nd player on gameday.
Think there's a chance he stays at St Kilda too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Newnes Vs Brandon Ellis? I never pay any attention to either. Newnes never grabs my attention. I guess that may be a good thing if he doesn’t mess up?

I'd assume that given he's played 8 seasons, then he automatically qualifies as a de-listed free agent, should he not re-sign with the Saints.

A clear casualty of the Hill arrival & wage bill.
Don't think that's the way it works?

He needs to be delisted.

He's got an offer in front of him and if he leaves it'll be due to the fact Hill is taking his spot on the wing, not his money. Can't expect a big pay day when you average 17 touches a game at 26.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back