Toast Jack Newnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Trojan_Saint

Senior List
Jul 13, 2011
Ballarat
AFL Club
St Kilda
After seeing the young fella in action the last three weeks, just want to say that I'm really excited for the future of Jack at the Saints. He hasn't set the world on fire, but has been a solid contributor, and at 19 years of age has potential to be a real star.

That being said, I'm not sure how many more games he'll get in the seniors before getting a rest.

Cheers!

I agree the heat was on Friday night - but you can see how people have likened him to Lenny HAYES.

Friday night probably showed that maybe he isn't quite ready yet which is fine for a 19 year old but showed enough in the games he played to say he'll be a good player eventually. Going to be part of a pretty good midfield group coming through.

absolutely rapt that the coach is giving young guns a crack and persisting. A new fresh look and it looks good

:thumbsu:

Well said... Jack did appear to be a little 'lost' on friday night, but so did some of our more senior players. I feel the future is bright & if the selectors pick the right games to continue blooding the youngsters, they can get a real feel for the game at AFL level. We could probably get at least 5-12 games into some of these raw kids. Should do them the world of good in the long run & start to provide us with some real depth in the list.

Baptise him in the fire, it's all good. He's looked a little out of his depth in the past two games but it hasn't mattered because he gave it a crack.

I reckon four consecutive games, if fit, regardless of form, should be a norm. We should aim to make that an initiation process for every first year player. Say to them that they're stuck in the team and they're on their own until the quota is up.

Newnes looked a bit tired so after this weekend I think it's fair to rest him, unless of course he's feeling up to it - although to be fair, while impressive for a 19 year old, his contribution to the team is on the fringe at the moment.

I reckon he has a place in our future, though. Definitely.

Whilst I was surprised to see him get games already, gotta say he's massively softened the blow of having Lynch leave after 3 seasons of development. Well done to the recruiting team - terrific pickup. Already looks a 10 year player. :thumbsu:

It hard to tell at this early stage, but he looks OK out there so far. Time will tell. Its whether he can improve or not. He's very young though and just in the door, so you'd think so.

Stats for first 3 games:
Newnes, 36 disp, 4 tackles
Steven 35 , 13
Heyne 19 , 9
Geary 48 , 4
Lenny 92 , 25 ..... just kidding 33 and 2.

It hard to tell at this early stage, but he looks OK out there so far. Time will tell. Its whether he can improve or not. He's very young though and just in the door, so you'd think so.

Absolutely no doubt for mine. Injury is the only thing that would hold him back - which is why I was a bit surprised they played him for the last couple of games. I'd rather get a full season of VFL into him to set him up for 2013.

He hasn't yet got the fitness/confidence to show it (at AFL level), but he's got very sound kicking skills (hits targets 40-50m away). And has showed repeatedly that he can make good decisions under pressure.

There are some kids who burst onto the scene and are one-trick ponies that get worked out quickly. This kid isn't like that. I wish Crock had his footy smarts (they are about the same size).

The Fremantle game was clearly the highest pressure game we'd played this season and it probably showed on him a little.

The most important thing for Jack is that he's getting experience at the highest level. Eventually he'll go back to the VFL to work on what he needs to improve, probably next weekend, but this stint of games will be invaluable for him.

I respect your opinion Squizzy but I reckon giving the kids a taste of the big time is exactly what we should be doing.

Stats for first 3 games:
Newnes, 36 disp, 4 tackles
Steven 35 , 13
Heyne 19 , 9
Geary 48 , 4
Lenny 92 , 25 ..... just kidding 33 and 2.

gee, lucky that Sydney kid who couldn't tackle got a few more games...

the best disp / tackles stats for the first three games I could see without looking into too much detail were Dal Santo (47 / 7) and - I'm sure SaintsSeptember will have known all along :p - Andrew McQualter (47 / 10) !

gee, lucky that Sydney kid who couldn't tackle got a few more games...

the best disp / tackles stats for the first three games I could see without looking into too much detail were Dal Santo (47 / 7) and - I'm sure SaintsSeptember will have known all along :p - Andrew McQualter (47 / 10) !

Didn't know that, but I know Rob Eddy was pretty good on debut.
The hard part about drafting is knowing who the big improvers will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting - the allusions to Cripps being the next Harvey (particularly with #35 on his back) haven't helped him, it seems.

Too early to count for mine. With someone like Mini, from the outside the pressure of the call seemed to squash him that he never got out of being a GOP playing a part, for Cripps, he still has time to use it as a beacon to strive towards, surpass and redefine.

Interestingly with Newnes coming out for Wilkes this week as a late change, he played no footy. Too much credit to suggest this was part of good player management?

Interestingly with Newnes coming out for Wilkes this week as a late change, he played no footy. Too much credit to suggest this was part of good player management?
I was actually a bit frustrated by the late change. Not because Wilkes came in because I like him but it meant Newnes missed out on a game. Same deal with Ledger in round 1. I think if Newnes needed a rest he wouldn't have been named in the first place.

Just one reason why I'd like to see barring injury the final team named on the Thursday so whoever misses out still gets a game in.

Seemed due for a rest. Certainly worked out well in the end.

Wilkes said he was told on Friday that he was playing. So I assume Newnes was told then he was not.

Watts does not seem too fussed by the 22 that is nominated on Thursday and instead regards it as a 25.

I was actually a bit frustrated by the late change. Not because Wilkes came in because I like him but it meant Newnes missed out on a game. Same deal with Ledger in round 1. I think if Newnes needed a rest he wouldn't have been named in the first place.

Just one reason why I'd like to see barring injury the final team named on the Thursday so whoever misses out still gets a game in.

If you look at the way the teams is announced and view the video that Watters does on team selections he always talks about a squad of 25.

It looks to me as if he considers that we have a team of 25 to pick from and therefore he considers the emergencies as part of the team and does look at an emeregency as a last minute replacement (like we do) I have no problem with that as long as the players understand.

^^I understand he refers to it as a 25 man squad, it'd just be nice on the weeks where Sandy play before us he have the final squad named on the Thursday. No big deal, just don't see the point of the player that comes out missing a game altogether.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back