Senior Jack Payne (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Huge, but not particularly mobile.

That's where the hard bit kicks in.

Marry the two things and you have something well worthwhile.

Runs a quick 20m and kept up with Shaun Edwards in the NEAFL final. I don't think agility will be an issue for him as a key back.

I think it will surprise a lot of people. He will look anything but agile but break even/win most contests and just confuse opposition forwards.

I am by no means bagging the bloke out. On the contrary I think he may be a huge asset.

And I mean huge.

A bloke his size could be a foundation in the back half.

It's just that on first impression agility isn't one of Payne's major pluses.

Which is why witches hats etc will become a staple part of his training.

Another real sign we're headed in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

He's quicker than Harris and has the body to take the monster forwards.
I hope this is correct.

Straight in backline to free up Andrews our best intercept marker let them grow in to it together, maybe Cutler CHB allows Mcstay to use his speed and agility at ground level in backline or his speed agility and leading ability from forward goal square.

Things are looking up if they are used correctly.

Jack Payne reveals why he chose Aussie rules over athetics
AFL

• February 6, 2018 9:44pm
  • by RIKKI-LEE ARNOLD
  • Source: The Courier-Mail
JACK Payne is one of the Lions’ most exciting prospects but he almost did not play Aussie rules, thanks to a promising career in athletics.
The gifted defender, yet to make his AFL debut, was selected by Brisbane in the 2017 draft and is considered an integral part of their future.

Last week the club added another year to his contract, locking him in until 2020.

Payne spent most of his childhood chasing track and field dreams.

But aged 13 he caught the eye of a talent scout – despite just “mucking around” in a game at St Andrew’s Anglican College on the Sunshine Coast – and was signed to the Lions Academy.

“I never really followed AFL,” the 18-year-old said.

“I just played a couple of games with school.”

The Queensland product started playing club football with Noosa and made his way through the ranks.

When he was 17, he decided to give athletics away, despite having represented Australia in the Oceanic Games for discus.

Payne knew AFL was where was his future lay.

“I saw some of my mates get drafted that year (2016),” he said.

“They were a part of the academy as well. It made me want to have a real good crack at it.

“I wanted to be around the team environment. Going through athletics, it was all about yourself ... to be around good mates 24/7 was what won it for me.”

The friends he saw drafted were fellow Lion Jacob Allison, Kangaroo Declan Watson and Crow Elliott Himmelberg. Now that he has a contract, Payne is ready to show fans who he is.

“When I was in the academy, I was coming down (to Brisbane) for training three or four times a week and it was pretty tough,” he said.

“Mum and Dad were giving up their time to drive me down. To finally be drafted, it was a dream come true.

“To be at Brisbane with an emerging group that will have a lot of success in the future, that’s great to be part of. It’s obviously a Victorian-based game but the Queensland numbers are growing, which is really good for the sport.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ja...s/news-story/e3606cc5f573ab358bbc2f049774ffa3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

End of season injury update
Just like in 2017, the Brisbane Lions finished the 2018 season with one of the lowest injury rates in the AFL.

The Lions' Head of High Performance Damien Austin was pleased with how his performance staff and players worked together to keep injuries to a minimum in 2018.

First-year defender Jack Payne missed the whole season with a shin injury, and Austin said he may be on a modified pre-season program. "Jack had a stress reaction in his shin that took a while to heal. We had to take a backward step...he is a young kid with a big body that we didn't want to rush." "He will come back to full training in November, but we may modify his program since it's been a long period of time."

Player Reviews: Ballenden, Lyons, Payne and Eagles
#40 - Jack Payne
Jack Payne’s first season at the Lions didn’t quite go according to plan. The Lions Academy graduate was selected with Pick No. 54 in the 2017 AFL Draft, and he did everything right in his first pre-season, so much so, that the Lions extended his contract for another year in early February.

As key defender already possessing a mature body and brute strength, Payne was very impressive in the Lions’ pre-season match against the Sydney Swans. He showed no fear marking Lance Franklin, despite being only 18 years of age.

Unfortunately, Payne didn’t play again after the pre-season matches, with a persistent shin complaint ruling him out for the season. He will likely be on a modified program to start pre-season, with the Lions mindful of his long-term health and prospects.

Tweet deleted?
Odd; the tweet stated that Payne would be making his first appearance for the Reserves since being on the list (obviously he played for the Reserves whilst an Academy player pre draft), so maybe something happened at training and he now won't be playing.

Odd; the tweet stated that Payne would be making his first appearance for the Reserves since being on the list (obviously he played for the Reserves whilst an Academy player pre draft), so maybe something happened at training and he now won't be playing.

From the club or someone else? Might have been asked to take it down until 100% confirmation...Who knows in the Twitter world!

From the club or someone else? Might have been asked to take it down until 100% confirmation...Who knows in the Twitter world!
From the Lions twitter feed.

Same thing happened earlier in the week with Mitch Hahn's summary of the reserves game being taken down a couple of hours after going up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back