Senior Jack Payne (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Robinson and Payne locked in the Lions den until 2021 (Josie Fielding)
Joining Robinson in the den until at least the end of 2021 is second -year player Jack Payne. The 19-year-old is still to make his debut after arriving at the Club with Pick No. 54 at the 2017 NAB AFL Draft. The Hyundai Help for Kids Lions Academy product has battled shin injuries for the majority of the past two seasons but is now back to full fitness.

Noble said the Club had been impressed with Payne’s attitude towards his injury setbacks. “He has been really diligent in his rehabilitation,” Noble said. “Jack’s a great product out of our Academy and we believe his speed and size offers great versatility to his game. “His form has been terrific in NEAFL and he continues to apply pressure to our AFL team.”
View attachment 710581

The unseen: Who is yet to play senior footy at your club in 2019?
Jack Payne: Missed almost the entire 2018 season with lower leg problems, and again the hulking key defender has battled injuries. Has a future but needs some consistency.

Who might play in 2019? With a reliable squad of 28-30 players to choose from, injury is the only avenue for any of the above to get a call-up. Lyons, Skinner and Berry are the most likely candidates if injury should strike.

I missed his debut game, but looking at the scoreboard it would have been a tough debut! How did he go? I remember watching him in his 1st year pre-season game/s, and I thought he was a ready to roll KPD, he was very impressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he went in his run and had a bounce i legit giggled like a little girl. Him and Andrews with Darcy on the third forward is exciting.

Opposition supporters would've freaked out watching him take off :D

Ready to launch - Every AFL club’s breakout player for the 2021 season
Jack Payne

Stepped up to the plate when needed in 2020, which came after injury plagued 2018 and 2019 seasons. With Alex Witherden having departed for West Coast, it is the perfect opportunity for Payne to come in and get a regular spot he can grab with both hands. He is a physical proposition for any key forward and is only 21-years-old, meaning he’s likely to get even bigger over the coming years. He got a taste of senior footy in 2020 but he is primed to make a far bigger impact in 2021.

I'm genuinely excited for Jack and the future I think he has here at the Lions.

Out pf curiosity, one of the articles a few above of this says that Jack is contracted until the end of 2021, however, I thought he was contracted until end of 2022. Anyone know which is it? :huh:

He was the best thing to came from that awful game. He proved to be an upgrade on Lester and now we don't have to rely on Adams (who is one injury away from probably not playing for us again). It's time we stick with him because he's the future of our backline

Lions defender to miss up to six weeks

BRISBANE has suffered an injury setback with young defender Jack Payne to miss up to six weeks with a stress reaction in his foot.

Payne has played the first three games of the season, and eight in his career, and is viewed as a long-term defensive pillar, but will now have to watch from the sidelines.

The Lions are hopeful he could be back in closer to four weeks.

Went back and checked on his previous injury. “Jack had a stress reaction in his shin that took a while to heal.” Hope I am not putting the mozz on Jack. Looks like a potential 200 game player. Really hoping we see him back in the side soon. But his previous injury was initially reported as 5 or 6 weeks.

Bringing The Payne For Three More

Jack Payne’s lifelong connection to the Lions will continue after he became the latest young gun to commit their future to the Club.

The born and bred Queenslander has barracked for the Lions his entire life and said he had no hesitation signing a new deal that ties him to the Club until the end of 2024.

Payne is a graduate of the Lions’ Hyundai Academy program and would have spent seven years with the Club by the time his new deal expires.

“I see it as a real show of faith in me from the Club and that gives me great confidence,’’ he said.

“I’m grateful for the opportunity this gives me to continue to work on my game with our great coaching staff and the senior players and I believe this is where I will get the most of my career.

“It is an exciting time for our Club, and I’m thrilled to know I’m going to be a part of it for another three years.’’

The 21-year-old broke into the senior side for five games last season and added to his tally in the opening rounds of 2021 before a foot injury ruled him out of the Round 4 clash against the Western Bulldogs.

He resumed running on Monday and is expected to quickly regain full fitness and push for selection in the coming weeks.

Lions GM of Football Danny Daly said the Sunshine Coast product had provided a glimpse of an exciting future in his eight senior appearances.

“This is a great signing for our Club and signifies another success story for our Hyundai Academy program,’’ he said.

“Jack is in the early stages of his career, but he has already shown he can hold his own in the AFL.

“And with his athleticism, power and willingness to learn his potential to continue to improve is enormous and we’re very excited to watch his ongoing development.’’

Reinforcements In Sight For Lions

In another boost for the club, Jarrod Berry and Jack Payne have both stepped-up their running loads and will push for selection after the bye.

“And Jarrod and Jack are both running well and should be available after the bye.’’

Remove this Banner Ad

Back