Recommitted Jack Petruccelle [re-signed to 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Spot on mate.

A pick in the early to mid 20's this year is compromised as we have all been told.

Straight swap for Fisher would be a fair deal IMO.

Both emerging kids with upside.

Reports last year were Petch wants to stay and loves it at the Eagles. More than happy to keep him on.
I chose Jack the Rock Peterson (aka Petruccelle) with my early pick in the players sponsor for a reason. Been following him since the U18 carnival and TAC and he offers a point of difference. Watch how he starts to mature in 2020 gaining composure with his speed and the Hand Baggers will be wishing they had gone harder and offered up a first rounder.

Would love him at the dees
Agree that he would add a new dimension for Melbourne. I would want Trent Rivers for him. Most players that young or taken around that point in the draft that are unproven would normally not satisfy my demand for Petruccelle but I would make an exception for Trent.

Spot on mate.

A pick in the early to mid 20's this year is compromised as we have all been told.

Straight swap for Fisher would be a fair deal IMO.

Both emerging kids with upside.

Reports last year were Petch wants to stay and loves it at the Eagles. More than happy to keep him on.
If you could get Fisher for Petch, you'd take it and run

Agree that he would add a new dimension for Melbourne. I would want Trent Rivers for him. Most players that young or taken around that point in the draft that are unproven would normally not satisfy my demand for Petruccelle but I would make an exception for Trent.
lol. Rivers is better than Petruccelle.

Not that your in a position to demand anything.

I’m keen to see how Philp develops this year, before we look at bringing Petrucelle in. Looks like the kind of player who would spend the year in the VFL, play a few games towards the end and then play out 2021. We look to be using him in a similar role at this stage anyway.

LOL Based on what exactly?

Exposed form in U18's?

Not that your or my opinion means anything!

I loved reading about Rivers. The best day of his life was watching his Eagles at the MCG winning on grand final day 2018.

Yeo mrk II just wait and see!

Last edited:
Shame Petch wasn't interested last season, made it pretty clear he wanted to stay at the Eagles.

A lot can change in a year. He’d get a pay rise, a better contract, more midfield opportunity and the chance to return home if a Vic club was keen.

It may be too good to pass up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Petrucelle is uncontracted and Fisher is we are in a great position regardless.

I wouldn't do Petrucelle for Fisher in a straight swap, we would get fleeced.

If Fish wants to go back to WA, I would be asking Freo for what they can/will offer, they have more appealing Vic kids than The Eagles.

I wouldn't do Petrucelle for Fisher in a straight swap, we would get fleeced.

If Fish wants to go back to WA, I would be asking Freo for what they can/will offer, they have more appealing Vic kids than The Eagles.

Fish wouldn’t want to leave anyway, and we have a 2nd rounder to use if we wanted Petrucelle, but I’m not convinced we will be crazy on him with a year’s development into Philp and also the possibility of playing Dow as a forward.

A lot can change in a year. He’d get a pay rise, a better contract, more midfield opportunity and the chance to return home if a Vic club was keen.

It may be too good to pass up.

And alot can stay the same.

Believe the Doggies were into Petch last season too.

Geelong enquired too.

Sounds like several Vic clubs would be keen IF he were interested.

With Rioli and Venabkes out of the picture likely for most if not all of 2020 Petch will have plenty of opportunity to play senior footy. So unless he gets offers massive unders why would he move?

Im not going to get all 'Geelong / Kelly salty' if he goes but be more than happy if he stays.

Shame Petch wasn't interested last season, made it pretty clear he wanted to stay at the Eagles.

According to his father - he only had two real suitors from Vic approach TLA last year and one of the was based in Geelong.

Not saying that he would leave, but if he was offered more game time, more money and a chance to return to Melbourne (especially a big club) I think he’d be gone.

Petruccelle has already played 23 games in a side that over the 2 years he has been there, have won the premiership and finished 5th. He has won a NAB Rising Star Nomination and has delivered a goal a game as a small forward. With Rioli and Venables unlikely to play in 2020, he will be a lock as one of the best 22 each week. He is happy out west and was quick in extending his contract.

I want to keep him but I am also hearing there are clubs in Victoria knocking on his door. And why not? He is valuable. But he want come cheaply. The recent trend has shown that young players out of contract do get decent currency. What are contracts nowadays?

Flip side - I have high expectations for Rivers and think he has the potential to be better than Petruccelle. But Rivers has done nothing at senior football yet so some exposed form for East Fremantle and WA U18 is hardly enough to get excited about. Brayden Ainsworth was in the AA Under 18 team and I was furious when we drafted him as I do not think he will make it. In his U18 carnival, I think he topped the contested possession stats. Still didn't like our pick. But great U18 form.

So if Vic clubs wants him, they better be prepared to pay. I think he will happily stay an Eagle but if there are suitors, they better come with decent proposals. Petruccelle has proven himself in his first part of his career and his pace would be something Geelong, Melbourne and Carlton could all benefit from.

According to his father - he only had two real suitors from Vic approach TLA last year and one of the was based in Geelong.

Not saying that he would leave, but if he was offered more game time, more money and a chance to return to Melbourne (especially a big club) I think he’d be gone.
So which of the big Victorian clubs do you think are interested? Richmond, Collingwood and Essendon are the big 3 in terms of membership and attendances and I don't see any of these 3 really needing him.

I want to keep him but I am also hearing there are clubs in Victoria knocking on his door. And why not? He is valuable. But he want come cheaply. The recent trend has shown that young players out of contract do get decent currency. What are contracts nowadays?

Not true in the slightest, the club pursuing an out of contract player has all the leverage as there is always the possibility of the player delisting themselves and nominating for the ND or being signed outright.

If Petrucelle wants to leave and nominates a club, that club holds all the aces.

I don't know what we are trying to do with Petch? He seems to have been pigeon holed as a small forward which tells me the club simply does not rate him high enough to put him through the midfield which his size and speed suggests he should be playing. Maybe this year with Masten gone he may get more opportunities through the outside mid department. He is very young still and has some upside I would suggest although I don't see him as a natural footballer.
Big year for him i reckon and I hope he can deliver.
I don't see whether or not he is at the Eagles after this year that it will have any impact on where our club is going in the future.

Your demand. Ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back