Jack Reacher - TV Series

Remove this Banner Ad

Binged the whole season today

Some of the CGI is pretty terrible and its hard to tell how much of the stiffness is the writing vs bad acting, but overall its good fun with a decent mix of fight scenes and storyline.

I haven't read any of the books or seen any of the Tom Cruise movies so I don't know if
Roscoe would be in any future seasons, but it'd be a shame if she wasn't - I thought she was the best character in the show

Binged it today. So, so, so, so much better than the films with the midget wannabe tough guy imposter.

I thought the Reacher actor is a few years too young, but that's a small gripe compared to the way they got everything else so very right. Finally, they managed to find an actor who is tall enough, and built like a brick outhouse - just the way Reacher is written in the books.

Did anyone else catch the walk-on cameo by Lee Child, in the final episode? Lee Child is the tall, thin older man who bumps into Reacher, as Reacher is walking into the diner to finally eat his peach pie with Finlay. Nice of the script writers to find a way of giving him a cameo.

Binged it today. So, so, so, so much better than the films with the midget wannabe tough guy imposter.

I thought the Reacher actor is a few years too young, but that's a small gripe compared to the way they got everything else so very right. Finally, they managed to find an actor who is tall enough, and built like a brick outhouse - just the way Reacher is written in the books.

Did anyone else catch the walk-on cameo by Lee Child, in the final episode? Lee Child is the tall, thin older man who bumps into Reacher, as Reacher is walking into the diner to finally eat his peach pie with Finlay. Nice of the script writers to find a way of giving him a cameo.
I reckon he's actually the right age. Remember, first book was set six months after he bumped out of the army at around 36 or so.

The Lee Child cameo was cringeworthy though.

I reckon he's actually the right age. Remember, first book was set six months after he bumped out of the army at around 36 or so.
You're right. I just looked at Alan Ritchson's IMDB page, which gives his DOB as 1984 - making him 37 or 38. He looks a lot younger than that - I thought he was late 20s.
The Lee Child cameo was cringeworthy though.
I didn't mind it. It was no worse than the Stan Lee cameos in all the Marvel movies.

I thought it was a nice touch. It was something completely random (unrelated to the rest of the story), which was what clued me in to who & why it was happening.

I haven’t finished it yet but it looks good. Reacher’s size is a factor so often in the books and I’m glad they acknowledged that.

There should be enough source material for another 20 series.

Finally, they managed to find an actor who is tall enough, and built like a brick outhouse - just the way Reacher is written in the books.

Funnily enough Ritchson is listed as being ~6'2" which is still smaller than the 6'5" Reacher is meant to be. They cast well to make sure he was clearly 'big' though, much better than the Tom Cruise adaptation where it really missed half the point of the character.

Have been slowly watching an episode a day, enjoying it, much more in-line with the character we know from the books. Think sometimes they don't quite know how to nail the way the character acts, thus why someone he seems a bit wooden as how do you convey 'logical' in picture form?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funnily enough Ritchson is listed as being ~6'2" which is still smaller than the 6'5" Reacher is meant to be. They cast well to make sure he was clearly 'big' though, much better than the Tom Cruise adaptation where it really missed half the point of the character.

Have been slowly watching an episode a day, enjoying it, much more in-line with the character we know from the books. Think sometimes they don't quite know how to nail the way the character acts, thus why someone he seems a bit wooden as how do you convey 'logical' in picture form?
Maybe they could have used some mental commentary, as is commonly used in Dexter, to explain what's going on in his head?

Maybe they could have used some mental commentary, as is commonly used in Dexter, to explain what's going on in his head?

I assume they've got plans for multiple seasons, might be something they work out how to convey better as they go instead of him standing there like a statue.

Just renewed for a second season. Prime are saying it is in the top 5 ever most streamed TV series of all time.
Excellent news - shows there are a whole lot of Lee Child fans out there, who were crying out for a decent book-to-screen translation - as distinct from the two movies featuring a stunted dwarf in the title role.

Have read a lot of the books but stopped because they got too samey. Still enjoyed them. Hated the Tom Cruise film for the same reason everyone else does.

Watched the trailer for this and thought it looked like a pile of crap but decided to give it a go anyway. 5 episodes in and surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. Far better Reacher but let's face it, Idris Elba would have been better than Tom. Are Reacher's biceps really meant to be that big though? Hard to believe anyone could maintain a physique like that without spending hours a day in the gym. Couldn't work out who the young reacher was until imdb told me it was Will Robinson.

Anyway, glad it's been renewed. Look forward to s2.

I haven't watched an episode yet, but I have heard some good things about this adaptation, and I was a big fan of the novels before the wooden midget took on the role in the movies, so I will have to give it a look.

I may even have to unburn my Lee Child collection.:D

1st episode in and...

Kick Lucy GIF

I've watched the first two episodes, it's much closer to the novels I enjoyed reading in the late 90's. I've enjoyed it so far, the new Reacher is a major step up on the midget who portrayed him in the movies, and I quite like Rosco, I'm not totally sold on Finlay (I haven't read the novel in around 25 years so I can't remember if he is a bad guy or not) but that may change as I continue through the series.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed it. It's been a while since I read Killing Floor.
One gripe was that Reacher had some trouble in some of the fights, which in the book it makes clear only the most skilled adversary is able to match him. I couldn't imagine Kliners nephew causing Reacher too much grief in the books.

Just finished watching it. Was a great adaption of the book. Really captured how Reacher is. I acutally didn't mind Tom Cruise as Reacher as he still had that same overwhelming arrogance/confidence, but agree that Ritchson portrays him a lot better. The whole show was cast pretty well.

I thought Neagley was great but I don't actually remember her being in Killing Floor? Been a while since I read the book though. Also, thought Kliner Snr was the one Reacher killed in the warehouse at the end. Not that it makes any difference, just trying to remember.

I wonder how many series they plan on doing, surely not all (currently) 26 books? I reckon skip Die Trying and go to Tripwire for Season 2.

Just finished watching it. Was a great adaption of the book. Really captured how Reacher is. I acutally didn't mind Tom Cruise as Reacher as he still had that same overwhelming arrogance/confidence, but agree that Ritchson portrays him a lot better. The whole show was cast pretty well.

I thought Neagley was great but I don't actually remember her being in Killing Floor? Been a while since I read the book though. Also, thought Kliner Snr was the one Reacher killed in the warehouse at the end. Not that it makes any difference, just trying to remember.

I wonder how many series they plan on doing, surely not all (currently) 26 books? I reckon skip Die Trying and go to Tripwire for Season 2.
I'm assuming they won't be doing 61 Hours, which is the one where Lee Child cheated - by using a "To Be Continued" when he couldn't think of a way of having Reacher survive the final showdown, only to completely ignore the lack of continuity for all subsequent books.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back