• Yes

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • No

Votes: 50 42.7%
  • Mandatory Jack Watts option

Votes: 34 29.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He was recruited because he had the runs on the board as a tough, ball-winning mid at Brisbane over a few seasons, which was exactly what we were crying out for with an aging Priddis, poor drafting and little midfield depth. Oh, and he came out and nominated WCE. His prominent role in our 2018 premiership season tells you it was completely worth it.
MIA so far in season 2020 but no orphan there.

He was recruited because he had the runs on the board as a tough, ball-winning mid at Brisbane over a few seasons, which was exactly what we were crying out for with an aging Priddis, poor drafting and little midfield depth. Oh, and he came out and nominated WCE. His prominent role in our 2018 premiership season tells you it was completely worth it.
He was missing in action for most 2019 and when you watch him play live he is not exactly the hardest chaser either.

Apart from that role in 2018 he's been missing in action for the majority of his time here. Fine with the recruitment and it obviously paid dividends in 2018 but it's time to move on.

the whole midfield looks unbalanced at the moment. There’s too many cooks in the kitchen. It’s like they get the ball and are like “fcuk, which superstar should I handball it too?” And then they hesitate and get cleaned up.

the whole midfield looks unbalanced at the moment. There’s too many cooks in the kitchen. It’s like they get the ball and are like “fcuk, which superstar should I handball it too?”

Yes, the midfield does look unbalanced atm.

However, I don’t think there are many superstars in the midfield.

Post-2006, we haven’t performed when expectations are on us. Our best seasons since then was 2011, 2015 & 2018, and there weren’t many expectations on us. Years where expectations were high such as 2013, 2017 & 2020, were/are disasters to date.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Even if Redden turned into a complete spud for the rest of the year and retired, it has been a worthy trade. Stepped it up at the exact right time - the 2018 finals series - and for that all is forgiven.

Yes, the midfield does look unbalanced atm.

However, I don’t think there are many superstars in the midfield.

Post-2006, we haven’t performed expectations are on us. Our two best seasons since then was 2011 and 2018 - both years where there weren’t many expectations on us. Years where expectations were high such as 2013, 2017 & 2020, were/are disasters to date.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

2015 was pretty good too, with the Grand Final and all...

We played our best footy in 2015. Fast, counter attacking and high scoring. The boys played with freedom, not the stilted mess we produced in '17 and '19. '18 we managed to get the tempo right between being deliberate and hitting the go button.

Just ran into a veteran team in '15, who knew how to take hold of the game early and rattle us off our game. I think we were the best side that year overall but didn't produce on the day. '18 we weren't the best side of the year but we got the choccies.

We played our best footy in 2015. Fast, counter attacking and high scoring. The boys played with freedom, not the stilted mess we produced in '17 and '19. '18 we managed to get the tempo right between being deliberate and hitting the go button.

Just ran into a veteran team in '15, who knew how to take hold of the game early and rattle us off our game. I think we were the best side that year overall but didn't produce on the day. '18 we weren't the best side of the year but we got the choccies.
I reckon we were in 18. If we were given the same concessions as Richmond we would've easily gone 18-4

Watching the games this year it’s hard to see what role Redden is playing. It seems to me that both he and Sheed are trying to play the same role and neither are doing well. The effort is there but unsure ball handling is putting them under pressure with rushed disposals resulting in turnovers. Yeo is trying his guts out but is also not having a lot of effect. The midfield balance is just not there. It is strange that the wingers are not being used as attacking players. Gaff is OK if he can get free and use his run to create a spare but is hardly damaging and while I understand The need to build confidence in Brander, he is also not a damaging player in that position. Surely it’s better to have Redden as an inside midfielder with Shuey and Kelly more as receivers with Yeo as a winger so he can use his pace and kicking to get the ball forward quickly. Redden would need to improve his current occasional fumbles and Sheed needs to do the same if he rotates on the ball but we still seem to be short one good ball user to rotate with Shuey and Kelly. Maybe it’s time for X O’Neill to be given a run.

Watching the games this year it’s hard to see what role Redden is playing. It seems to me that both he and Sheed are trying to play the same role and neither are doing well. The effort is there but unsure ball handling is putting them under pressure with rushed disposals resulting in turnovers. Yeo is trying his guts out but is also not having a lot of effect. The midfield balance is just not there. It is strange that the wingers are not being used as attacking players. Gaff is OK if he can get free and use his run to create a spare but is hardly damaging and while I understand The need to build confidence in Brander, he is also not a damaging player in that position. Surely it’s better to have Redden as an inside midfielder with Shuey and Kelly more as receivers with Yeo as a winger so he can use his pace and kicking to get the ball forward quickly. Redden would need to improve his current occasional fumbles and Sheed needs to do the same if he rotates on the ball but we still seem to be short one good ball user to rotate with Shuey and Kelly. Maybe it’s time for X O’Neill to be given a run.
I dont think we can drop one of Sheed or Redden, and play an extra forward like Cameron or Jones. Sheed is not a natural forward. I prefer playing 7 forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2016 wants their Redden back.

Needs to be in the middle more, gets lost anywhere else.

The frustrating thing is that the club should know this.

The big revelation from 2018 was meant to be: play forwards in the forward line, and play midfielders in the midfield. Don't try and shove square pegs in round holes just because.

I know we have Rioli and Venables out, and have to fit Kelly in, but boy oh boy wowee the club has had a long time from the end of trade week to now to sort this out and don't appear to have learned anything :(

But the best KPP from his draft year on a wing? Sure, why not.

The frustrating thing is that the club should know this.

The big revelation from 2018 was meant to be: play forwards in the forward line, and play midfielders in the midfield. Don't try and shove square pegs in round holes just because.

I know we have Rioli and Venables out, and have to fit Kelly in, but boy oh boy wowee the club has had a long time from the end of trade week to now to sort this out and don't appear to have learned anything :(

But the best KPP from his draft year on a wing? Sure, why not.

Rioli and Venables types are what we’re really lacking in mid-forward mix, punchy game breakers who hit hard and use the ball well.

Using Sheed, Redden or Ah Che in these roles isn’t really comparable. All are much more flat footed and less attacking.

Who knows if these two will survive into 2021, I know we’ve got JJ, Treacy and Cameron but they could all be fighting for a dedicated small forward position with less of a role on ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if we could get a second rounder for him? Unlikely i guess

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

He's horribly out of form, not even close to getting the pill.

He's averaging half his disposals and less than half his tackles of 2018. This year is making his 18 look like a one-off.
Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 4.36.51 pm.png

Commentators were saying he was tagging Wines during the call, and if thats right he did a good job. Wines only got 14 touches and I think got quite afew late. So nullified his effect. Needs a big lift though.

Back