• Yes

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • No

Votes: 50 42.7%
  • Mandatory Jack Watts option

Votes: 34 29.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Put him in his best position and ******* keep him there for a few weeks. He will shine.

It's a bit disappointing that the coach has had a crack at him in the past for not doing enough, but then when he gets played in his favoured position that he's always played in, he plays a pretty good game. The poor bastard, playing on the HFF and then getting roasted by the coach and crowds

Playing on a HFF doesn't excuse being soft and having absolutely no composure at all. Frankly I'm more confident with the ball in Priddis' hands.

That being said, it sounds like he played pretty well so if he can continue to improve he has a future as a fringe player.

Priddis is actually quicker than Redden
giphy.gif

Playing on a HFF doesn't excuse being soft and having absolutely no composure at all. Frankly I'm more confident with the ball in Priddis' hands.

That being said, it sounds like he played pretty well so if he can continue to improve he has a future as a fringe player.

I know your views on Redden ;) I'm willing to give him a shot though.

It would explain the lack of touches if you don't know where to get to to find the ball, and then being out of the okay for so long. His confidence was probably lower than low.

But yeah you're right, there's only so many excuses to make for him and a lot of it came down to him.

He played OK, pretty well, on the weekend. Hopefully he can up his numbers to the high 20's, 30's.

Surely there's no way he's slower than Priddis.. Priddis is treacle.

No chance I'm confident with Priddis having ball in hand anymore. Not this year anyway, he's lost a lot of his handballing skill/vision that he was good at.

Is is satire?
If so, I'm losing my edge at identifying it.

Redden just jogs from contest to contest not even trying to get to a position where he can win the ball. His slowness might not be an athleticism thing as much as an intent thing.

Seriously, he gets some stats and a couple of nice kicks inside 50 and suddenly it's all "look what happens when you don't play him out of position".

For much of what I saw of the game he wasn't even playing Priddis's role much of the time. He was 10m away from stoppages as he has been in previous matches.

Maybe Priddis not playing did have an impact but we are kidding ourselves if we think he was thriving under rucks' noses digging it out from the scrum for the whole game.

Fair enough we might be rotating our onball set up more without Priddis, but that means Redden is still going to have to spend periods played "out of position" and he's going to have to learn how to still have an impact during that time rather than being invisible

Redden just jogs from contest to contest not even trying to get to a position where he can win the ball. His slowness might not be an athleticism thing as much as an intent thing.

Seriously, he gets some stats and a couple of nice kicks inside 50 and suddenly it's all "look what happens when you don't play him out of position".

For much of what I saw of the game he wasn't even playing Priddis's role much of the time. He was 10m away from stoppages as he has been in previous matches.

Maybe Priddis not playing did have an impact but we are kidding ourselves if we think he was thriving under rucks' noses digging it out from the scrum for the whole game.

Fair enough we might be rotating our onball set up more without Priddis, but that means Redden is still going to have to spend periods played "out of position" and he's going to have to learn how to still have an impact during that time rather than being invisible

91% disposal efficiency, including 2 inside 50 kicks that hit the forward out in front and resulted in goals to go along with his 20+ disposals, 6 or so clearances etc. That is miles better than what Priddis offers. Priddis kicking teh ball from stoppages 20 metres up and 20 long is why our forwards often struggle coz the opposition has time to leave their man and double team. Low flat kicks out in front like what Redden was doing on the weekend make it ten times harder for the backs to spoil. Priddis is done, we dont need him as we have multiple players that can rotate through the middle and use the ball better.

I know your views on Redden ;) I'm willing to give him a shot though.

It would explain the lack of touches if you don't know where to get to to find the ball, and then being out of the okay for so long. His confidence was probably lower than low.

But yeah you're right, there's only so many excuses to make for him and a lot of it came down to him.

He played OK, pretty well, on the weekend. Hopefully he can up his numbers to the high 20's, 30's.

Surely there's no way he's slower than Priddis.. Priddis is treacle.

No chance I'm confident with Priddis having ball in hand anymore. Not this year anyway, he's lost a lot of his handballing skill/vision that he was good at.

Haha. Yeah fair enough, I'm for him being in the side when Priddis is out for the sake of giving him a shot. I guess my point was just that him being forced to play on a flank shouldn't be an excuse for his form which, at times, has been pathetic. I think he lacks confidence badly and I suspect he might be like Tunbridge and needs conditions to suit him in order to play well. His outside game has been poor since joining WC and as FKASC said he's going to need to be able to perform well in more than one role otherwise we have the same problem as Priddis.

Hopefully we can extract some value from him though and I'd happily see him start on the ball this week assuming Priddis needs another week. If we are bringing Priddis straight back in then I'm less keen to see Redden back in the side.

91% disposal efficiency, including 2 inside 50 kicks that hit the forward out in front and resulted in goals to go along with his 20+ disposals, 6 or so clearances etc. That is miles better than what Priddis offers. Priddis kicking teh ball from stoppages 20 metres up and 20 long is why our forwards often struggle coz the opposition has time to leave their man and double team. Low flat kicks out in front like what Redden was doing on the weekend make it ten times harder for the backs to spoil. Priddis is done, we dont need him as we have multiple players that can rotate through the middle and use the ball better.
Redden seems to be a better kick in space than priddis but then again prone to absolute garbage kicks at times. I'd assume his foot skills should improve as he regains confidence.

I'd actually like Redden to spend time in the coal face but also move to a flank at times. Having one set player in the middle makes you way too predictable.

Redden also gets used as a defensive mid when Priddis plays and i suspect that its not a natural role for him.

Not saying that Priddis isn't done, but this excuse that Redden was being 'played out of position' is pretty rubbish IMO.

I'm also not going to judge an inside mid by their DE%. Sheed's was low, I guess that means Redden > Sheed & Priddis.

I hope Redden makes it, but we got our hopes up with he played well against a similarly poor Sydney and it didn't take long until the roasts came out again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be completely honest I didn't notice him that much, maybe because he didn't turn the ball over as often as in some previous games or his disposals had very little impact.

I think he chose to dispose of the ball within his limits and take the first option - which I encourage blokes to do with average skills. The last thing we want is for him and guys like Priddis to try to hit the difficult targets which could cost goals.

>recruit an inside mid
>play him on HFF
>oh look he can't play HFF, drop to the WAFL
>long pre-season, hopefully now he will play HFF
>nope still can't play HFF, back to WAFL

>oh no our inside mid is injured, well maybe we will put him inside mid
>OH WOW THE KID CAN PLAY INSIDE MID WHO KNEW!?!

>Wait our inside mid is ok to come back
>Perhaps now he can play HFF?

I think its a misnomer to say Priddis' role. Its just not having such an unbalanced view towards a limited player. There should be no Priddis player that cant be moved elsewhere. And I doubt any one player will be allowed to walk into a team with Priddis' skill/deficiencies set in this day and age. Redden will hopefully be a small cog in a functional midfield.

I think we have a guy that can do the dirty stuff and knows his limitations and one that we aren't trying to get the ball to go through. I think he will be the guy you dont notice in any real negative/positive way but you will find out by the end of the game he has had it a fair bit and tackled a fair bit.

This guy needs some love of late. since being recalled against WB; he averages 25. 3 disposals, 6.3 tackles, 9.5 contested possessions and 5 clearances a game. Most importantly his disposal has improved and he is doing what he recruited him for.

Didn't think it was his best game of the past month or so but that alone is an indication that the quality of his play is rising quickly, because he was more than handy. Should thrive with more responsibility and time in the guts next year.

Back