News jack riewoldt To Be In 2017 Leadership Group

Remove this Banner Ad

Being a great player doesn't make you a good leader... likewise, being an average player doesn't make you a bad leader. This is why I was always a fan of Morris in the LG last year...although he is somewhat of a whipping boy, he is one of the few who gives it his all week in week out, it sets a great example. However he likely won't play much thisyear so he won't be in it.

Martin on the other hand I do not believe should be in the LG. I know the club seem to be pushing him to be more confident in the media and stuff, but no need to shove too much expectation on the guy. He should just be allowed to play without the added responsibility imo.

anyway, Jack I would say no as captain still. However the club obviously think he has matured enough to be back in the LG and I think itll be good for him and the team. Yeah he still has his moments, but compared to 4-5 years ago they are a rarity.

I think we should try something a bit different in terms of structure of our overall Leadership Group, and set it up in a similar way to how many clubs set up their Coaching structures.

My idea is to have a 4 man leadership group, consisting of the Team Captain (i.e Senior Coach) and 3 vice-captains (i.e Assistants), with each vice captain essentially leading an area of the ground (i.e Line coaches).

Finally, under each of those 3 vice-captains is a player that we're grooming for that respective position moving into the future, sort of like a protégé.

If we implemented this type of leadership program, I'd have it look as follows:

Trent Cotchin - Team Captain

Jack Riewoldt - Co Vice-Captain, Forward Leader.
Dion Prestia - Co Vice-Captain, Midfield Leader.
Alex Rance - Co Vice Captain, Defensive Leader.

Ben Griffiths - Protégé under Riewoldt.
Nick Vlastuin - Protégé under Prestia.
Dylan Grimes - Protégé under Rance.

The idea being that eventually those protégé players replace the guys above them and become the leaders of their respective lines, and that creates like a cycle or system which stands for decades.

The importance of this being setting up the correct SYSTEM so that it organically creates a better environment for developing leaders, and gives us a clearer understanding of responsibility within the group, on and off field.

Is the leadership group,selected by the coaches, players or combo of both?

Love the idea of Jack being back in the leadership group. Cotch could do with a year of just concentrating on footy too. Captaincy for Jack seems about right.

Jack has played over 200 games so he's already a leader. Just bc he didn't have a fancy name tag it didn't mean he was not one of our leaders. I go to Selwood 07 in his first season where he showed more leadership than more players senior to him.
Leaders are born and not created by throwing a gold plated name tag and putting them in a special group.
The embarrassing thing and where the point in this thread is lost is that blokes like Chaplin Morris Edwards and to a lesser degree the self centred Lids were in the LG before him. This would almost underlie the poor culture and leadership at the club.
Another point lost has been that successful clubs true leadership starts from the president and we have black and gold label Peggy.
We have poor off field leaders on the board and in the FD who are the prominent reason why we are up s**t creek when it comes to genuine leaders on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Rance has a big enough job as it is holding our defense together without burdening him with the added responsibility of captaincy. Jack on the other hand is born for the role of captaincy.

For me it's either give Cotch one last go or give it to Jack.

Jack has played over 200 games so he's already a leader. Just bc he didn't have a fancy name tag it didn't mean he was not one of our leaders. I go to Selwood 07 in his first season where he showed more leadership than more players senior to him.
Leaders are born and not created by throwing a gold plated name tag and putting them in a special group.
The embarrassing thing and where the point in this thread is lost is that blokes like Chaplin Morris Edwards and to a lesser degree the self centred Lids were in the LG before him. This would almost underlie the poor culture and leadership at the club.
Another point lost has been that successful clubs true leadership starts from the president and we have black and gold label Peggy.
We have poor off field leaders on the board and in the FD who are the prominent reason why we are up s**t creek when it comes to genuine leaders on the field.

I tell this story often. I saw leadership written all over Jack back in his debut year, when as a teenager on a blah day out of Coburg, I saw Jack directing traffic in the Coburg forward line, directing experienced players like Kent Kingsley, Daniel Jackson and Cleve Hughes in the forward line and telling them where to position themselves and where to be if the ball spills to the ground. It was not lost on me that likely the youngest member of that Coburg team was the most vocal and enthusiastic bloke in the huddle at quarter and three-quarter time.
Have to agree that's embarrassing that one of only two true leaders ... by action and deed ... is not in the leadership group. How often do you see Jack still busting a gut or kicking goals in the fourth quarter when the game is lost and others have long given up the ghost?
If people continue to throw out the line ...'but the leadership group is voted on by the players without influence from the coaches' ... well sorry, that just shows what a dumb bunch of footballers we have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being a great player doesn't make you a good leader... likewise, being an average player doesn't make you a bad leader. This is why I was always a fan of Morris in the LG last year...although he is somewhat of a whipping boy, he is one of the few who gives it his all week in week out, it sets a great example. However he likely won't play much this year so he won't be in it.

Agree with that statement, Disaster ... but under that criteria, Jack is captain, vice-captain and deputy-vice-captain.

I tell this story often. I saw leadership written all over Jack back in his debut year, when as a teenager on a blah day out of Coburg, I saw Jack directing traffic in the Coburg forward line, directing experienced players like Kent Kingsley, Daniel Jackson and Cleve Hughes in the forward line and telling them where to position themselves and where to be if the ball spills to the ground. It was not lost on me that likely the youngest member of that Coburg team was the most vocal and enthusiastic bloke in the huddle at quarter and three-quarter time.
Have to agree that's embarrassing that one of only two true leaders ... by action and deed ... is not in the leadership group. How often do you see Jack still busting a gut or kicking goals in the fourth quarter when the game is lost and others have long given up the ghost?
If people continue to throw out the line ...'but the leadership group is voted on by the players without influence from the coaches' ... well sorry, that just shows what a dumb bunch of footballers we have.
Yes I was fortunate to see Jack at Coburg doing all the things you mentioned and our future looked rosy when Cotchin came along followed by the growth of Rance , but nothing much has happened since.

I'm a believer in the positive effect of change.

Although Cotch IMO has been a solid/good captain, his inability (along with Hardwicks) to get us playing our best footy in the really big games sadly is a negative mark and so would advocate he step back to a leadership roll, assisting a new Captain. (So mentoring of players/youngsters rather than leading the whole team.... would suit his personality much more IMO)
Also not a fan of multiple captains - so:

Captain- Jack
VC's - Rance, Prestia
Leadership Grp- Cotchin, Grimes, Vlastuin, Martin

IMO the leadership is voted by the players so if he wasnt in there, he obviously had to work on a few things.
If he does make it in for this year, good on him.

IMO the leadership is voted by the players so if he wasnt in there, he obviously had to work on a few things.
If he does make it in for this year, good on him.
,but he was already voted in by them ????What were these things he needed to work on that the blokes who replaced and ousted him have??
Based on your statement I have grave reservations about the players who were doing the selecting.

Wow Goldy moving up in the world with the red text. Try yellow next time.
Red is ok for us old farts, but interesting posters saw potential in have when the brains trust couldn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back