Opinion Jack Silvagni criticism unfair!

Remove this Banner Ad

His 'natural' role is as a third forward, playing close to goal. Quick enough to lead and hit up the field against big defenders, tall enough to outmark smalls. Stretches the defence and provides good pressure - as long as he isn't a primary target.

Except that role is being played by others in our structure at the moment who are better. McKay and Curnow are both playing close to goal and hitting up the field and they are more mobile, better marks, and better kicks for goal. JSOS is trapped for space and out of his depth.

Needs to go back to the reserves for the rest of the season to work on a different role. Sicily did this for Hawthorn and converted to a defender. SOS could also transition to being a mid, and has taken some steps that way in the reserves. Just needs 12 months there.

Has a big heart and gives his all, and that's better than many, so worht persisting with. If his name wasn't Silvagni and we weren't so rubbish I doubt anyone would have an issue with where he is at this stage of his career. Not the first pick 62 to be surpassed by more talented players and have to adjust their game at age 20

Unfortunately he just isn't good enough in my opinion.

20 Years old and played 28 games, last year the AFL awarded him with a Rising Star nomination, when he starred against Gold Coast

The kid is going through a form slump, in a team going through a form slump.

Bigger boys take time, we mark him harder cause he's a Silvagni, whilst I appreciate his current situation but to put a line through him is too harsh.

I hope all his nay sayers are proved wrong

He is played as a high half forward and need leg speed to play that role - needs to play deep in the pockets - similar predicament to Plowman mid/big sized and slowish.

Jack Silvagni is a handy player, he'll never be a star but he won't be considered a dud either.

There are three things that increase the scrutiny of him :

(i) his surname - if it was Hitler, Bradman or Jagger, no-one would be paying any more attention to him than normal
(ii) his leg speed - he is not the quickest player on the field even though he has the smarts to get around that most of the time
(iii) his best position - he's not bad in most roles so it's hard to know where he should be played, my preference is defence

During his first season, we all thought "we've got one here" but he hasn't dramatically improved on that initial season so now there is speculation that he isn't up to it which is not entirely unfair.

My gut feeling is that he may not end up being a First-Picked 22 player but should be part of the Back-Up 8 and even there, he is still going to be way better than a number of players we have previously had at that level in the pecking order.

Jack Silvagni is a handy player, he'll never be a star but he won't be considered a dud either.

There are three things that increase the scrutiny of him :

(i) his surname - if it was Hitler, Bradman or Jagger, no-one would be paying any more attention to him than normal
(ii) his leg speed - he is not the quickest player on the field even though he has the smarts to get around that most of the time
(iii) his best position - he's not bad in most roles so it's hard to know where he should be played, my preference is defence

During his first season, we all thought "we've got one here" but he hasn't dramatically improved on that initial season so now,. Even if he doesn't turn out to be a First-Picked 22 player but is part of the Back-Up 8, he is still going to be way better than a number of players we have previously had at that level in the pecking order.

Agreed he will be handy 25-35 on list type \ (like Dennis Armfield abit). Don't see him as a starting 22 type but you know he will give it his all when he plays

Does he get subliminal comparisons to his old man? Absolutely and Stephen copped the same albeit in a way less harsher enviroment.

Young Jack would be a very handy star in an established mature team. His strengths are compromised by our teams current weaknesses.

He will be fine, find his way and be a premiership star in years to come.

Personally, I am reserving judgement on Jack until;
  • We have a competitive midfield who might be able to drop one on his chest every now and then(reward his effort).
  • He doesn't have to run an average of 5kms per goal, leaving him blown up before a set shot.
  • His body matures enough to take more contested marks.
  • Carlton has a forward line structure, setup and running pattern that favours us.
I can foresee a future where JSOS could be our Jack Gunston type.. similar size, talent, role...
Seriously, if JSOS could just start averaging 1.5 goals a game and find the ball an extra 5-8 times per game we'd have a real player on our hands with the effort he puts in...

And I think that all will come with the improvement as a group.

That being said, he isn't going well enough atm.
He should NEVER be dropped for a player who isn't in the next 5 year plan
But form will put him in the discussion of 'do we drop him for a player we want to find a bit about'...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he needs to get stronger. He's not fast and he also gets pushed around a bit too easy at the moment. I know he's not naturally a big guy, we've seen his bloodlines, but his old man was hardly a pushover. Same with Judd; he was pretty skinny but immensely strong through his hips and core. That's where he can develop physically and if he can do that he will be able to have a bit more of an impact.

I'm not giving up on the lad, I seem to recall when he was drafted there were suggestions he wouldn't get a game until year 3, such was the development needed in his body. The fact he has played sooner than that is a credit to the boy, but now we're seeing why that was the thinking in his draft year. He does need to grow a bit. He's got the smarts, he just needs a physical tool to go along with it which is missing at the moment.

The club is obviously going to go after Jack's younger brother Ben (194cm) therefore keep him on the list for another two years. Then the question will be, "Can the club play two Silvagni's in the same side?"

Am I allowed to bag a few other players If I can't bag SOJ?

Lets face it it's not the player's faults if they are not good enough to be AFL players.
It's those who selected them and then continue to keep them on the list when they are obviously not good enough, sometimes seemingly for eternity.
(Not pointed at SOJ here!)

when was his last set-shot for goal? struggling to recall.........
This day:
15c9afaea29ae3213c52eaac7417706c

Good straight kick, too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back