Opinion Jack Silvagni criticism unfair!

Remove this Banner Ad

When we drafted him, we didn't really think he'd play until some time this year.

That is a very fair point and worth remembering. I remember when he was drafted thinking we probably wouldn't see him at AFL for 18 months.

Sone salient points:

- Jack was taken with a pick in the 50s
- Jack has played 29 games and started his third year. He has kicked 26 goals (almost a goal a game)
- he plays forward with our haphazard entries into the forward line
- Jack played a lot of last year with a shoulder injury
- Jack has good skills, is generally a one touch player and clever when he has the ball, wins his share of 1:1 contests
- Jack is not the fastest mid sized forward, but he is not treacle slow either

Would have got into the game more last Thursday if the midfield didn’t tire after Kreuzer and Kennedy were injured.

He played a big role early in our win over the Swans last year.

He has outperformed any expectations and IMO is best 22. He is young and I am rather disappointed at the level of criticism from Blues supporters on this.

Well said GP.
:thumbsu:

His shoulders have prevented him from doing the serious weights work required to allow him strength in the contest.

Will be a slow burn because of this. Get his shoulders right, the rest will come.

The kid is smart, brave and has skills. Time is the only ingredient he is being denied.

I like JSOS for all the reasons already discussed, hardness, smarts etc

But last week he was very poor, was unable to impact the game.

I want him to make it, and hope he can bounce back next week, but if the form of last week continues he needs to go back and dominate a few VFL games to get some confidence back

It cant be underestimated how this article was an attempt to divide SOS and Bolts and JSOS was just cannon fodder.

I loved Judds response, “Bolts is the most ambitious person he has met in football”

Caro was taken aback by that comment, obviously behind closed doors bolts is confident this is his team and he couldn’t give a toss what is being said outside.

We should trust that the nepotism of yesteryear is being removed from the club.

He is a intelligent footballer it's the first game of the new season.

I agree he is a bit slow but his mind is quick.

He is a creative forward flanker.

How many of those do we have on our list.

FFS.

The only thing that matters is whether Jack is doing what has been asked of him.
If so, he stays in the side and if not, he'll be given a run at Craigeburn on the weekend.

Bolton won't need any stats to make that decision.

Well there is a difference between trying to do what's asked and doing it well. I assume you mean the latter.

Over time though getting small numbers won't be sufficient. But I like most here am happy to give the lad time, because he certainly deserves that.

It cant be underestimated how this article was an attempt to divide SOS and Bolts and JSOS was just cannon fodder.

I loved Judds response, “Bolts is the most ambitious person he has met in football”

Caro was taken aback by that comment, obviously behind closed doors bolts is confident this is his team and he couldn’t give a toss what is being said outside.

that's a long bow to draw
The thing is everybody on everybody's lost needs to perform or they're gone
football is harsh

It's just a bit of negative noise to counter all the positive from media bananas .

This time last year Carlton were supposed to lose the opening game of the year because of poor performance .

This year we were competitive and the game was very good. OH NO, we need a neg angle .

TBH I've been pretty happy with Jacks output and I'm sure he's heard through his life that he's only getting ahead because of his name, hasn't stopped him working hard and I'm sure more criticism will lead to even better effort.

Like most others have said, he has perrformed a lot better than what we thought when he was first drafted.

Unfortunately with his surname and supporters love for the Silvagni name he has been used by the club as to be the face of a lot of promotions, which is great for us as a supporter but has it been the best thing for Jack....maybe not.

Go to any family day or supporters day and the line of kids waiting for his autograph dwarfs everyone else and with the emergence of Charlie this may change but the kid has a lot of pressure on those dodgy shoulders of his and he is still only 20.

My view.......will be a good player for us for a long time, not great but will have his great moments.

One of the reasons I am keen to see Ben play is I believe he is a lot more athletic than Jack and I think that is really important these days. See my posts in the Weitering thread.

Judd also clearly stated that Jack was playing a defensive forward role and by all accounts did a good job in that regards. Saw it posted somewhere else (can't remember by whom, or where) that he had about a 50min stretch on Rance and held him to 3 touches.

I'm getting a bit sick of people jumping on players after one bad game. Weiters after Richmond, despite his good JLT2. SOS this week also. Marchy after one bad JLT game. Fisher for no apparent reason. Levi as per normal.
Let's get 3-4 games under our belts with the new attacking game plan and see how everyone is performing then.

Nah he is s**t .. that's why he hasn't tackled anything ..... Never mind that he is still testing it out and that his mind probably doesn't fully trust it yet .... Or those high outstretched contested marks when opposition is planting knees between your shoulder blades ...

pfft ..... nah .... nepotism is the only reason JSOS is still on the list.

Sheesh, speak your mind why don't ya... harsh words indeed.

I agree that he hasn't done enough - yet.
My issue is that he appears slow and too easy to shift from contests. Like his dad I think his body will be there in a year or so. The strength component will come with time but at the moment we don't have midsized/tall forwards to take his spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure Steven put the pressure on Bolts to drop Jack so that when O'Shea stinks it up we'll never question Jack's selection again...

Am I doing it right?

It's as plausible a scenario as that being alluded to by others here during the week, the one where we didn't draft Fogarty because he'd take Jack's place in the side. :D

I hope Jack comes back the better for this just like his old man did as a youngster after being omitted from the side to play the 1986 GF. There is no shame in a young player being dropped.

Hope Jack fights for his place in the Senior 22. He will be spewing after we string together wins against Suns, Pies ...

Potentially great VFL forward line of McKay, TDK, Kerr and Jack.

Forwards take longer - how about we compare jack to Sasche and Mccartin base don all the games they have played since they are similar vintages? Lets also leave aside teh fact that these blokes went pick#1 and #2 respectively whilst Jack went pick 58 was it - out last pick.

and not to bore you with 'opinion' and verbal blah blahs...how about all the summary statistics produced by the AFL? Well see below...

View attachment 475595

hmmm so far Jack looks like a better player or as good as on pretty much every measure...still not good enough for some on this Board...

well how does he look against Sasche who went pick#2 in the same year as Jack???

View attachment 475597

Not bad Jack!

Jack was a pick #58 yeah - and so far in his career has not only played more games but seems to be around the same ball park in allstats as these two pick#1 and pick#2...

SO I'd say yes he can have a bad game but pretty much he is playing on par with the two players much more fancied than himself. ALl of them should improve over time- which one gets to be the better player over time- well time will tell.

Come on mate, there is absolutely no place for perspective in this discussion!

I just want to get peoples opinion on this but i think the criticism that JSOS is copping atm is unfair.

IMO Jack has probably bar wright been our best forward over the last 3 years since he debuted. For a 20yo forward who was projected to take a while to develop, i think he has shown more than enough. Yes he is in-between height but i think the aggression, determination and smarts that JSOS shows hold a place in the team.

He's not the fastest, yet the defensive pressure he applies is first rate. Its not uncommon for him to get a holding the ball or 2 a game after running down an opponent. He also takes a good grab on the lead and is a good kick for goal.

Yes he needs to improve, but i think he's definitely best 22.
Whilst I really like Jack and hope he can come good, he has not been better than Casboult in the past three years as unpopular as that is to say. Heck with curnows finish last year you could argue a case for him as well.

Yes, but the point is; If one been assigned a new role, they have to be allowed time to work into it, as otherwise that's a loss on several levels.

The coaches have made a mistake and the player will likely lose confidence.

Bolts has made a mistake? Really??
Pfffft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back