Recommitted Jack Silvagni

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I got laughed at & probably rightly so when I suggested that the Hawks could do with Jack in the list.
I think he will be a very serviceable player who can go the journey without being a superstar.
He is a pretty smart footballer IMO & has some upward trajectory that I think will come out this year.
Bolton didn’t know how to get the best out of those kids while he was there or simply shackled them to structures that didn’t let the play a natural game. Jack was one of those players.
He also looks to be the kind of player that Clarko could use in all areas of the ground as his game could translate well into the Hawthorn system.
Looking forward to seeing how his 2020 goes.

all s**t aside if he continues to play like he did in the second half of 2019 then he will be fine.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Jack's still only 21 (22 in a few days time) and has plenty of upside to follow.
Hands look very clean through this pre-season to date and he's a lot stronger than some may recall. He's a big lad.

Reckon some may treat him a little more favourably should he not have a Silvagni surname.

Bolton didn’t know how to get the best out of those kids while he was there or simply shackled them to structures that didn’t let the play a natural game. Jack was one of those players.
To be fair to Bolton, JSOS was a skinny schoolkid with no aerobic capacity for most of his coaching tenure.

The kid really pushed himself over last year's preseason to improve his running and you can see it in the repeat efforts and involvements during 2019 matches. I expect he'll improve as his body develops. He'll never have pace, but he's already quick of mind and hand.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I like him, not every player can be a superstar and doesn't need to be one to be in a successful team. Can do worse than a bloke that can hold his own forward and midfield and is occasionally capable of a purple patch.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I do think he has been unfairly judged due to his name and would probably be less criticised if he didnt have SOS as his dad but he is a player without a defined position, Is he a midfielder ? or a Foward ?

If he is to play midfield he will need to get more of the ball and impact games more , As a foward he has a few players that he needs to get infront of
Curnow,McGovern,Mackay,Kennedy are all bigger bodies similar to Jsos with only really room for 3 max McGovern,Curnow,MacKay imo

I think if he is to make a good career it will need to be as a mid or a tagger but probably best for his playing future if he was to move to another club

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Every club needs a utility. Jack is 21. He has served his apprenticeship as a defender, forward and a mid.
Doesn’t matter if he’s not the best forward, defender or mid, just that he can play any of these roles when needed during games.
Has great skills and is a brilliant decision maker which compensated for his lack of leg speed. Will never be a champion like his dad, but will be more than handy. Looking forward to watching him over the next few years.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Season does not start for over 3 months. fu**, you cannot have a little drink leading up to Christmas. FMD. the life of an AFL footballer in 2019 is stupidly strict.

Stupidity is when you're part of the playing group that came up with the rule of no drinking when recovering from injury, then you go do that exact same thing.

patsmith

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
92&94&06
I rate him, and I see him playing a Chris Mayne role as a hybrid forward/mid who can be relied on for consistent effort but lacks the traits of a star. This isn’t a knock, he always has a crack and should play 150 games. He would look much better in a strong side (like most players!).

Wouldn’t have played near that many at a high performing club, but given how raw he was in his first game to the club it was a decent effort to play any games at all in his first few seasons.

Gets chastised on Bigfooty by opposition supporters who don’t like his old man, but he’s a handy player with serious nous in the forwardline.

And he has shown that he can play all over the ground. Be interesting to see how he develops now that his father is no longer at the footy club.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
My issue is his non guiding hand during his kicking action.

Players generally have both arms about parallel to each other horizontally or their non dominant arm diagonal bordering on down.

With Jack, his non guiding hand always goes up.

I've never quite understood this.

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Jack's still only 21 (22 in a few days time) and has plenty of upside to follow.
Hands look very clean through this pre-season to date and he's a lot stronger than some may recall. He's a big lad.

Reckon some may treat him a little more favourably should he not have a Silvagni surname.

I mentioned in Jacks draft year that he had the cleanest set of hands that I could recall from our drafting. Reckon his ceiling is almost as high as any his age. Just needs to find a yard of pace and continue to build his strength and endurance. How many 21 y.o. midfielders can beat Fyfe? Can definitely see Jack developing a Fyfe type game.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I mentioned in Jacks draft year that he had the cleanest set of hands that I could recall from our drafting. Reckon his ceiling is almost as high as any his age. Just needs to find a yard of pace and continue to build his strength and endurance. How many 21 y.o. midfielders can beat Fyfe? Can definitely see Jack developing a Fyfe type game.
1577338545192.png

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Fyfe type game is a big call. I'll be more than happy if develops into as good a player as his pop. Multi premiership player will do me.

My personal view on who will be the best players from this current group in 5 years time is Walsh, Cripps, Weitering, Silvagni. In that order.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
My personal view on who will be the best players from this current group in 5 years time is Walsh, Cripps, Weitering, Silvagni. In that order.
Fair enough but big call to have Jack better than Harry McKay and Petreski-Seton. Paddy Dow will be very good in 5 years too.

Back