Toast Jack Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
He was pick 43 in the draft. Give him the surname Smith and everyone would overjoyed at his development. The pressure this kid has had to carry is stupid. The way he's stood up to it all and proving himself is really heartwarming.

Pretty sure he went at pick 53. A steal

Yes pick 53.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Jack vs Gaz

During the Melbourne game my brother said to me he sees a few similarities between Jack and Gaz career-trajectory wise.

I laughed at that suggestion and asked what makes him think that.

He said that Gaz was an inconsistent forward at the start of his career and didn't really click for him until he went to the midfield.

I'm the older brother so explained that Gaz always had the talent and freak skills. Just lacked the tank (and early on, probably the drive) to play as one of the greatest mids ever.

Jack on the other hand started with only average skills, although he's always had really innate smarts about him.

I really hope Jack makes me look silly and proves my brother right. I don't think he'll end up being a GOAT-esque player but even if he becomes a very good player, we'll be extremely pleased.

Kernafides

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Old Social Club
AFL Club
Carlton

Tracking well at same age ;P

muesli

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2003
S/E Melb
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wantirna South (Eastern FL)
Coming into this season I was on the fence with Jack, thought he was ok earlier in the year, but the last few weeks he has really made his spot his own. What really stands out is his desperation.
Love what i'm seeing at the moment, hopefully keeps it up, and takes it to another level next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 19, 2018
frankston station
AFL Club
Carlton
He was pick 43 in the draft. Give him the surname Smith and everyone would overjoyed at his development. The pressure this kid has had to carry is stupid. The way he's stood up to it all and proving himself is really heartwarming.
did see something on twitter that mentioned if the draft was done again he'd be picked between 25-30 which i never thought of it that way.

Brendon Bolt

Debutant
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm sure it's been said before, but carrying the Silvagni name at Carlton was always going to be difficult. Unreasonable media scrutiny added additional pressure.

Jack looks to be physically maturing which was the first step, he is now mentally maturing and believing he belongs.

Sky is the limit for Jack. Josh Kennedy clone for mine.

Jack on the other hand started with only average skills, although he's always had really innate smarts about him.
Skills you can improve, talent you can't. i.e. his lack of pace (he'll never win a 100m race no matter how fit he gets), but his natural football smarts (as you note) are both innate talents.

I reckon he's always had good skills (watch his six-goal effort in the TAC), it was his fitness that prevented him from showing them at the top level. He did a lot of work over summer to fix that. He pushed himself in the 400s, and that work has led to him being able to get to more contests, make repeat efforts, and still have the gas to kick straight.

He can get better too. Hopefully Ben is taking note.

Dadda Dave

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Coming into this season I was on the fence with Jack, thought he was ok earlier in the year, but the last few weeks he has really made his spot his own. What really stands out is his desperation.
Love what i'm seeing at the moment, hopefully keeps it up, and takes it to another level next year.
Jack has always had desperation imo.
Is the reason I knew he would succeed from day one ..tries his guts out every single game , now he's fitter and much stronger can play put games for longer ..
Well done Jack..

ray8182

All Australian
Sep 11, 2008
Echuca
AFL Club
Carlton
Skills you can improve, talent you can't. i.e. his lack of pace (he'll never win a 100m race no matter how fit he gets), but his natural football smarts (as you note) are both innate talents.

I reckon he's always had good skills (watch his six-goal effort in the TAC), it was his fitness that prevented him from showing them at the top level. He did a lot of work over summer to fix that. He pushed himself in the 400s, and that work has led to him being able to get to more contests, make repeat efforts, and still have the gas to kick straight.

He can get better too. Hopefully Ben is taking note.

Yes watch Jsos kicking for goal in u18. So pure. Looked like the best set shot kick for goal at the champs.

I assumed it was fatigue when playing afl that was causing problems.

Im still waiting for the magic to return.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes watch Jsos kicking for goal in u18. So pure. Looked like the best set shot kick for goal at the champs.

I assumed it was fatigue when playing afl that was causing problems.

Im still waiting for the magic to return.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

It has. He's been accurate the last 3 or so weeks.
Including a ripper goal from the boundary against Freo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back