AFL Club
GWS
Jack Steele

695139_thumb.jpg

Height: 187cm
Weight: 82kg
D/O/B: 13/12/1995
Position: Mid/Fwd

Greater Western Sydney coach Leon Cameron believes Canberra young gun Jack Steele is physically ready to make his AFL debut next season. Steele will join the Giants for his first day of training on November 5 after the Giants academy player was selected on the first day of the trade period at Etihad Stadium on Monday.
North Melbourne was one of six clubs to visit Steele's Nicholls home and bid pick 15 for him, but the Giants claimed the Belconnen midfielder by offering their next draft pick, No. 23.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...jack-steele-with-pick-23-20141005-10qpqi.html

Greater Western Sydney recruit Jack Steele sees his early start to pre-season as the perfect opportunity to put his best foot forward and put himself ahead of the Giants' other 2014 draftees. As a Giants Academy selection, Steele knew his fate last month and didn't have to wait until the AFL draft on November 27 to find out if he was joining an AFL list. He knows he'll get taken at pick 24 and started pre-season on Wednesday – about a month before the future draftees begin.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-at-gws-giants-preseason-20141107-11if7n.html

Last edited:

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
I know this is a little old now - but I've only just become his advocate....

From mid last year...

Fast Five with Jack Steele
GIANTS Media June 19, 2015 10:04 AM
SteeleFastFiveSLIDER.jpg

Find out more about our exciting young debutant Jack Steele.

Everyone knows GIANTS players are talented footballers but how much do you really know about their lives off the field?

Here are five things you didn’t know about debutant Jack Steele:

1) Lost Lover – I’m a sucker for a mystery so my favourite TV show is Lost. I’ve watched all of the episodes and don’t have a favourite character any more because they all got killed off the show.

2) Three Nipples – Yep. I have a third nipple.

3) Missing Dog – I moved to Sydney from Canberra last year and to be honest the thing I miss most is my dog Indy. She is a Springer Spaniel.

4) Development Officer – Before I got drafted I actually worked for AFL Canberra and helped run some clinics with GIANTS players. I did one clinic with Nick Haynes so it’s a bit weird now that I’m playing alongside him.

5) Let It Grow – I haven’t had a hair-cut in over a year. Some people say I look like “Rigs” from Friday Night Lights, but I’m not so sure.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
And his 2015 Season Summary

Season Summary: Jack Steele
GIANTS Media October 3, 2015 9:49 AM
SteeleSSSLIDER.jpg

Jack Steele lived up to expectation in his first season playing AFL.

Name: Jack Steele

Number: 38

2015 Games: 7 AFL, 11 NEAFL

AFL Fantasy Average: 64

Awards: Nil

Background: Steele was selected with pick 24 in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft. He is also a former PM CAPITAL GIANTS Academy graduate.

Best Game: AFL Round 15 v St Kilda - 20 touches, 3 marks, 6 tackles and 1 goal.

Summary: After an impressive pre-season there was a lot of hype surrounding Jack Steele and the Canberra local didn’t disappoint fans. Steele took little time to adjust to the rigours of professional football and excelled on the training track against his older teammates. Steele eventually made his AFL debut in Round 12 against North Melbourne but was a consistent performer in the NEAFL, often featuring in the UWS GIANTS’ best players (8/12 times).

Pat On The Back: Steele handled external pressure incredibly well, especially when he was consistently performing in the NEAFL but couldn’t break into the senior side. Instead of dropping his head, the 19-year-old worked hard on his game and eventually kept knocking down the door until he kicked it down.

What They Said: “He (Steele) is a real competitor so really wherever he lines up, it doesn't matter, you know he's going to put his head over the footy and tackle really hard and that's what we want to be known for.” - GIANTS Coach Leon Cameron.

Look Ahead: With the first-year nerves now a thing of the past, expect Jack Steele to try and cement his spot next season playing either as a midfielder or half-forward.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
From a longer season preview piece on Ladbrokes...

THE STOCK

Jack Steele: Big things are in this kid’s future and it’s not just because he has one of the coolest names in sport; it reminds me of when Homer Simpson changed his name to Max Power. Anyway, back on topic, he has been super in the NAB Challenge; a mainstay at the centre bounces, he looks certain to take over the role vacated by Adam Treloar’s move to Collingwood. Has showed at the lower levels he can dominate games and while he has shortened in the Rising Star market on the back of his NAB form, could be worth a shake at $15. In from $26.

https://www.ladbrokes.com.au/?a=574141&c=2/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Jack-Steele.jpg

Full article can be found here...
https://www.ladbrokes.com.au/?a=574...ers-crystal-foot-ball-greater-western-sydney/

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
GWS Giants not getting complacent against Gold Coast
Date
May 13, 2016

Fleta Page
Reporter at The Canberra Times
View more articles from Fleta Page

1463130618841.jpg

Jack Steele says he would like to be a Giants player for life. Photo: Jeffrey Chan

A loss to Melbourne in round one was just the wake up call the GWS Giants needed to kickstart their so-far incredibly successful season, Jack Steele believes.

The Canberra midfielder said the team went into that first game at the MCG "expecting to win" and were shocked into gear by the resulting two-point loss.

Steele was dropped for two games after that but the second-year player has averaged over 18 disposals and a goal per game since in the Giants' rise to fifth on the AFL ladder.

"We did everything right in the pre-season, we just expected to win that game, so I guess it was a wake-up call for us. It definitely helped us [go on to] beat teams like Geelong and Hawthorn which have been successful teams for a decade," Steele said.

Having won their last four in a row, Steele said there was a "great feeling" around the club as it chased a top-four finish.

"Obviously to make finals is the first thing, but as soon as we make finals we're not going to stop," he said.

"I think we're all on the same page [now], the last couple of years [GWS] was known for being a team of individuals, I think we're all starting to gel a bit better.

"With a bit more experience in the team, like Heath Shaw, Ryan Griffen and especially Steve Johnson in the forward line, they've all helped the team gel a bit and get everyone on the same page."

The attacking midfielder credits the arrival of veteran Johnson from Geelong for his own upsurge in goalkicking this year.

"For when I go forward I've been working with Stevie a bit, he's been teaching me some things to keep in mind when I'm playing forward, so he's real handy," Steele said.

"Last year I think I only kicked one [goal] out of seven games and I think I've kicked five out of five games this year, so I've stepped it up a little bit."

Steele, who joined the Giants in 2014 from the Belconnen Magpies via the GWS Academy, is off-contract at the end of the season and still in negotiation for next year.

"Obviously it's my home club, being from Canberra, and I'd love to stay at the Giants my whole career, so [we're] just trying to work it out now," he said.

On the field, the Giants face the struggling Gold Coast Suns in Sydney on Saturday. The early mistake of complacency is one Steele and the rest of the side won't be repeating.

"They had a good start to the season, they've sort of dropped off a bit, but we're not taking them for granted. They're a pretty fast-paced side and can take the game by storm," Steele said.

"We're not going to be complacent, [we'll] just play the game we've played the last four or five weeks and hopefully knock them off."

Back