Opinion Jack Steele MVP in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Watched a bit of AFL 360 last night where Mark Robinson suggested the above. He went on to say he doesn't believe he's the best player in the league but what he brings to the table with his offensive work coupled with his ability to stop just about anyone makes him the most valuable.

I was obviously happy to see those remarks being a St Kilda supporter and interested in others opinion on this.

I think in terms of value to his team Steele is right up there. But there are a quite a few in the race - Gawn, NicNat, Zorko - to name a few. That's a very different thing than saying he is one of the best players in the AFL - he is not.

Certainly think Steele is AA at this point in the year.

I’ve had a bit of a theory that these sort of players are underrated for a while. Not out and out taggers, but more two way mids.

It stemmed from a year Bernie Vince had where he was completely nullifying an opposition gun and still having 20/25 important touches himself. Personally thought he should have been AA that year, but they always go with out and out ball winning mids. So I expect Steele will suffer a similar fate.

He’s not the mvp of the afl lol.

very very good player who does a lot of the dirty work that goes unnoticed.

has been used almost exclusively as a tagger but is thriving under Ratten who allows a lot more player freedom

3rd in the AFLPA Coaches Votes and apparently the only one to have received votes in 7 of the 8 games.

Reportedly top 4 for tackles and pressure acts and top 20 for clearances and contested ball. While doing jobs on the likes of Fyfe, Cripps, Bont, Boak, Cotchin, Cunnington and Adams.

Has definitely taken his game to a new level this year, upping his productivity. As evidenced by his 20 contested possession, 13 clearance, one goal game last week- while keeping B Crouch to 15 touches.

Don't think he's MVP, but is super-valuable.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very very good footballer being coached by a very very good coach. Kudos to Steele- hard worker who has forged a strong career for himself

I'm glad that people are finally coming around to these type of players, we don't give enough credit for players that actually compete in both phases of the game.

I've been pumping up Elliot Yeo for a while now as one of the best in the comp for this exact reason, Dayne Zorko too.

3rd in the AFLPA Coaches Votes and apparently the only one to have received votes in 7 of the 8 games.

Reportedly top 4 for tackles and pressure acts and top 20 for clearances and contested ball. While doing jobs on the likes of Fyfe, Cripps, Bont, Boak, Cotchin, Cunnington and Adams.

Has definitely taken his game to a new level this year, upping his productivity. As evidenced by his 20 contested possession, 13 clearance, one goal game last week- while keeping B Crouch to 15 touches.

Don't think he's MVP, but is super-valuable.
His issue in terms of being 'MVP' and spoken about in the same breath as the big guns of the comp, is that he's not particularly damagimg offensively.

Getting it, and being damaging are completely different things.

His field kick is too high and slow through the air. It's basically a 'long kick down the line' type kick every time. So 20 of his kicks are worth about 5 of a guy like Pendlebury or Brad Hill.

The rest of his game is brilliant.

His issue in terms of being 'MVP' and spoken about in the same breath as the big guns of the comp, is that he's not particularly damagimg offensively.

Getting it, and being damaging are completely different things.

His field kick is too high and slow through the air. It's basically a 'long kick down the line' type kick every time. So 20 of his kicks are worth about 5 of a guy like Pendlebury or Brad Hill.

The rest of his game is brilliant.

His kicking is certainly not overly damaging but it's tidy and covers 50m easily. His disposal by foot would be on par with someone like Joel Selwood.

For mine, he does offer offensive value though for his clearance and contested ball work. You need those players as much as you need your Brad Hill types.

MVT - Most Valuable Tagger maybe. I love Steele but he's not on par with a Dangerfield, Fyfe, Grundy or Gawn in terms of value and impact. May even be trailing Dan Butler in our B&F right now.

Always rated Steele, thought he was the cheap answer to our inside mid woes from GWS. Would have happily paid pick 10-15 for him before the Saints got him for a steal.

I’ve had a bit of a theory that these sort of players are underrated for a while. Not out and out taggers, but more two way mids.

It stemmed from a year Bernie Vince had where he was completely nullifying an opposition gun and still having 20/25 important touches himself. Personally thought he should have been AA that year, but they always go with out and out ball winning mids. So I expect Steele will suffer a similar fate.

This is why I’m not regretting the choice to take Andy McGrath. I think the perfect centre clearance midfield set up is a defensive guy, explosive ball winner and the guy that can both win the ball and defend the stoppage. The explosive guy gets the most praise but it’s the guy that does both that’s most important and hardest to find.

Last edited:
Been having a punt this year so watching heaps of footy. Steele is a gun, very underrated. Last year he would go missing in patches but he is finding consistency now. Works hard both ways, disciplined and very strong in the contest.

I remember last year against North and Carlton he tackled his heart out and I've loved him ever since. Reminds me a little of Jude Bolton, a bit better I rekn. Don't think the Saints will be complaining if he plays 300 like Jude.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back