Senior Jack Steele

saints man

Senior List
Mar 26, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I believe Jack should be our next captain, the role should only make him better as a player. He leads by example to his teammates, has great character, loyal to the club, he is marketable, kids will want to be him and he is a good footballer who isnt even in his prime. Against Carlton where Steele and Crips were at each other all game, it showed me he is on the same level of confidence as the next generation of super stars.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
A7480DDF-8CF4-4377-BE73-B0A5FF73EB4C.jpeg
Happy 23rd Birthday Jack.

View attachment 595055 Happy 23rd Birthday Jack.

I like that Jack has the guts to stand up against anyone. He is quickly becoming one of my favourite players . What really impressed me last season was the way he wasn’t afraid to go after the ball even though he was playing against some of the leagues best players . He showed he can be just as dangerous as them . I hope he plays out his career at the Saints. Think he could be a future captain as well . He has a great attitude.

Go Saints

After an impressive first two seasons in red, white and black, emerging star Jack Steele is looking to take his game to another level in 2019.

There are big plans for the No. 9, with new midfield coach Brendon Lade hoping to develop the young gun into a genuine two-way midfielder, rather than restricting him to be a “one-trick pony”.

Steele’s impact as a tagger was evident in 2018, as he took scalp after scalp playing on some of the best footballers in the country – including David Swallow, Ollie Wines and Tom Mitchell – to storm home in third place for the Trevor Barker Award.

His mantra was to consistently nullify the opposition’s best player, and the numbers told the story.

The young Saint bettered himself in nearly every statistic compared to Season 2017, tellingly averaging 6.7 tackles per game along with 23.5 disposals at 79% efficiency.

AFL 2018 Round 17 - St Kilda v CarltonSteele goes toe-to-toe with Carlton star Patrick Cripps in Round 17, 2018

Steele’s humility is refreshing for a player of his calibre, and it’s a trait that allows him to focus intensely on his own game.

And with Lade’s offensively-minded strategy front of mind for the ex-Giant, improving his athleticism was top of the list.

“This pre-season’s a bit different to last, I’ve really tried to work on my tank and drop a few kilos, just so it’s easier to get around the ground and move in between contests,” Steele told saints.com.au.

I’ve been able to do that and I’m running well, so all I’ve got to do now is transition that into the season when it comes around.”

“Running well” is a typical understatement for Steele, who knocked a substantial chunk off his 3km time trial and earned himself a personal-best in the process.

“He’s improved his running a lot,” Lade confirmed.

“He hasn’t been tagging for the pre-season, so he’s learning different roles which is a good thing for him, to not just be a one-trick pony.”

Don’t Panic !!

Brutal honesty shapes as St Kilda’s mantra this summer, as Alan Richardson and his chargers brace to bounce back after an underwhelming 2018 campaign.

The Saints were externally criticised at times last season for their perceived lack of accountability on-field, an analysis not taken lightly at Moorabbin.

And a new mantra of hard-line feedback is how the red, white and black plan on responding.

Midfield enforcer Jack Steele said the senior coach’s no-holds-barred approach has set the tone for the entire pre-season.

“I think the main thing I’ve found with ‘Richo’ is that he’s honest with his players,” Steele told saints.com.au.

“If he sees something, he’ll call you out on it and tell you straight away, which is exactly what a player wants.

“You don’t want a coach that sort of beats around the bush and doesn’t tell you what you’re good at or what you need to improve on.”

And Richardson is not the only one to tell it like it is, with new midfield coach Brendon Lade also well-renowned around RSEA Park for laying down the law.

“Ladey’s been great so far as the mids coach,” Steele said.

He’s actually very similar to [ex-midfield coach] Adam Kingsley in the way that he doesn’t really take any bullsh*t."

“But he’s nice and honest with you. Already I know the mids are pretty excited to play under him and get to work.

“He always has something to say, which can be a bad thing, but mostly it’s a good thing; we’d rather him say something than nothing at all.”

Steele, who spent two years in the Giants’ system before transferring to St Kilda, said Richardson’s rapport with every player has been key to strengthening the football department as a whole.

“Richo’s great, he’s good to talk to. He’s someone that’s always interested in what you’re doing outside footy, which is healthy in a player-coach relationship,” he explained.

“I think he’s changed a lot from last year and the year before, so we’re able to have those conversations with him, which makes life around the club a lot easier.”

Don’t Panic !!

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Round 1

Jack started the game kind of slow but was one of the only players that willed us to get up on the weekend during that last quarter with his hard tackling and composure.

Disposals: 22
Kicks: 11
Handballs: 11
Contested Posessions: 10
Disposal Efficiency: 82%
Marks: 5
Tackles: 10
G.B: 1.0
10CA4193-BBD2-48AF-8BC8-920F10A10398.jpeg
06628EF7-0B31-4184-88BB-B10A4FB4413A.jpeg
EF7A656A-4B34-4833-8EB2-9566DE68526F.jpeg

Last edited:
Is absolute GUN, hard nut and team player !

Great stats :
Conested Posessions : 10
Tackles : 10

Will be bigger lose then Shiel, who has Disposal Efficiency in the mid 50's, aka the Butcher and only 2 tackles

All the best for the remainder of the season ;) and good luck this weekend against the Bombers

Is absolute GUN, hard nut and team player !

Great stats :
Conested Posessions : 10
Tackles : 10

Will be bigger lose then Shiel, who has Disposal Efficiency in the mid 50's, aka the Butcher and only 2 tackles

All the best for the remainder of the season ;) and good luck this weekend against the Bombers

Hoping for 10 tackles next week. Shiel will be sore as hell after being flung to the ground 10 times :D

Not all heroes wear capes.
Some, like Jack Steele, opt for a No. 9 guernsey instead.
Cult hero Fraser Gehrig was the most formidable Saint to represent the now-famous number, with its reputation forged from uncompromising toughness and the terror it evoked in the opposition.

ROUGHEAD JOINS THE SAINTS: Premiership Hawk moves to Moorabbin
Although Steele doesn’t have the physical characteristics or sheer fear factor of G-Train, his terrorising of the opposition and hardened approach has carried on the guernsey’s legacy.
And it’s through his unrelenting attitude and striking on-field presence that has the 24-year-old in the hotseat for this season’s Trevor Barker Award.
There’s no doubt of Steele’s tackling prowess, with his unwavering focus seeing him record the highest number of tackles in the league this year (164).
His stellar season produced the best tackling average (8.2) behind Melbourne one-gamer, Kade Chandler, while he also ranked third in the competition for average pressure acts (27.1) and defensive half pressure acts (13.7) per game.
Given Steele’s commitment, it’s no surprise the midfield bull topped the total tackle count for 12 of his 20 matches – five of which charted above 10 tackles.
The tackling machine fell one short of the VFL/AFL record for most tackles in a match following his masterclass against North Melbourne (18), catapulting him back in the running for the league’s top honour after two games on the sidelines through injury.

Steele’s extraordinary 2019 campaign also saw him move only behind Lenny Hayes (177) for the most St Kilda tackles in a season, despite the No. 7’s five additional games that year.
The Canberra product’s physical ascendancy was complemented brilliantly by his ability to win his own footy.
Each performance has served as another step in his evolution towards becoming an elite midfielder of the competition – one whose incredible versatility makes him nothing short of volatile.
The on-ball beast charted 20+ disposal performances 16 times this season – a season-high 28 disposals and 10 tackles against Carlton among his best of the year.
Steele also averaged almost 10 contested possessions per game, ranking third for the Saints.
TBA-Contender-Steele-1024x576.jpg

And he’s done so while going head-to-head with some of the league’s most phenomenal talents.
Steele’s tagging role and successes in blanketing powerhouses Patrick Cripps, Nat Fyfe and Ben Cunnington, among others, has highlighted the incredible season he’s pieced together.
WILKIE: First-year Saint breaks 24-year drought
Rarely having his colours lowered, Steele’s unshakable dedication to the red, white and black was a constant inspiration for his teammates.
When the going got tough, the No. 9 never threw in the towel, instead throwing himself even harder at the contest to edge the Saints over the line.
He’s a traditional blue-collar player – one who will roll up his sleeves, put in the hard work and go about his business without any fuss.
His humility and team-first mentality frequently sees him fly under the radar, despite the record-breaking performances, durability and consistency every week.
While starved of the recognition he deserves, a Trevor Barker Award may turn the conversation in his favour.

Jack Steele and Matthew Parker will undergo respective kneecap and ankle stabilisations, but are both expected to be firing for day one of the pre-season.
Parker is on track to reach full playing capacity after 12 weeks, while Steele will near his bullish best after 16 weeks.
The No. 34 has also undergone surgery for a jarred finger, with his time on the sidelines dictated by his ankle rehabilitation

Jack Steele

Career
Games: 78
Goals:
Games: 20
Goals:

679307_gl.jpg

Man of Steele, Steele trap, Nerves of Steele – we’ve heard it all before.
But Jack Steele made sure his name was a mainstay among AFL circles, enjoying a remarkable 2019 campaign defined by unrelenting pressure, tackling dominance and physicality.
The tackling extraordinaire topped the league for tackles (164) and averaged 27 pressure acts, 22 disposals and four clearances per game.
A record-breaking 18 tackles against North Melbourne showed the midfield jet at his bullish best, while nullifying efforts against some of the competition’s premier stars highlighted his skills as a tagger.
Another podium finish at the Trevor Barker Award has Steele on the rise – and top spot could soon be his if he keeps going.
BEST GAME:
Steele vs Patrick Cripps is always an enticing contest, with the star Saint coming out on top in Round 20, blanketing the Carlton skipper while racking up 20 disposals (12 contested), 14 tackles and five clearances of his own.

CarnTheSAINTERS

All Australian
Jul 15, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Steele played half of the season injured. How good was he before? 🌟 He might have a good year. Amazing when right.

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda

Jack Steele has become one of the best taggers in the business in the past 18 months, but the St Kilda star is set to be cut free in 2020.
The 24-year-old has established himself as an integral cog in St Kilda’s engine room since crossing from Greater Western Sydney at the end of 2016, finishing third in the past two Trevor Barker Awards.
Alan Richardson deployed Steele as a tagger midway through 2018 and he has quickly become a master of the dark art, clamping some of the best contested animals in the game in Tom Mitchell, Patrick Cripps, Clayton Oliver, Ollie Wines and David Swallow during that time.

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda

Jack Steele has become one of the best taggers in the business in the past 18 months, but the St Kilda star is set to be cut free in 2020.
The 24-year-old has established himself as an integral cog in St Kilda’s engine room since crossing from Greater Western Sydney at the end of 2016, finishing third in the past two Trevor Barker Awards.
Alan Richardson deployed Steele as a tagger midway through 2018 and he has quickly become a master of the dark art, clamping some of the best contested animals in the game in Tom Mitchell, Patrick Cripps, Clayton Oliver, Ollie Wines and David Swallow during that time.
I found it whilst looking for Mayo's content...i didnt know how else to get it to you without posting it...i hope its ok with you !

Back