Traded Jack Steele [traded to St Kilda for 2017 second rounder]

Remove this Banner Ad

So Jack Steele is out of contract. Will you bend over for the saints?

or will you use Tough man tony abbott tactics just like you did to freo last year when we wanted cam mccarthy?
Saint wont attempt to play us nor will Steeles manager.
So im sure itll be one of the 1st done

Seems to be about what O'meara is worth.

Pick in the 20's plus later pick swaps

Yeah seemed strange, Palmer stunk it up.

Wonder if Saints would send Armitage to GC for a second rounder and then on trade that pick for Steele.

Wasn't all that strange as he wasn't even available, he was ruled out for the season with a broken foot at the start of September.

Seems to be about what O'meara is worth.

Pick in the 20's plus later pick swaps
What will the saints get for draft pick 10.

Membery, Bruce, Billings Forwards (Res for injuries Lonie, Shenton,Minchington)
Gresham, McCartin, Riewalt Half Forwards
Savage. Stevens, Ross, Centres
Carlisle, Godard, Newnes, Halfbacks (Res for injuries Acres, Wright , McKenzie , Sinclair)
Dempter, Gilbert, Geary, Fullbacks (Res for injuries Fisher, Webster, Robinson)

Hickey, Longer Rucks

Steele, Freeman, Dunstun, Midfielders
Armitage , Weller, Montagna

32 players - this team is finals bound, if they can pick up a Mitchel, Fife, Gibs, or Rockclff they would be in the four

The problem is that he's worth less than 10, but more than a second rounder, and that between the plethora of picks that GWS already have and the AFL rule changes 3rd round picks aren't worth much to them. Makes it hard for Saints to upgrade a second, so feel it will need to be a first with very good steak knives.

Pick 10 for a former pick 25 who has a broken foot, is out of contract and has nominated the Saints

Yeah, sounds about fair ...
He was bid on at 15. In an open draft that's where he would have went. Still cracks 17 games in a side now top 4, and probably best 25. 10 is overs, but not by much.

The problem is that he's worth less than 10, but more than a second rounder, and that between the plethora of picks that GWS already have and the AFL rule changes 3rd round picks aren't worth much to them. Makes it hard for Saints to upgrade a second, so feel it will need to be a first with very good steak knives.

He was bid on at 15. In an open draft that's where he would have went. Still cracks 17 games in a side now top 4, and probably best 25. 10 is overs, but not by much.

the problem GWS will have is that st kildas next pick is pick 46, or they go for a future 2nd rounder. this also isnt the carlisle situation where there were a handful of clubs interested in his services. nor is there a driver on the players side like there was with carlisle, that made him desperate to get the trade done

so basically its similar to the josh bruce trade. GWS were banging on about needing/wanting a higher pick but we just didnt have it, were not prepared to budge on it. what ended up happening is GWS took the 3rd rounder when they realised it was the best they were going to get

its going to be a very similar situation with steele. there will be a lot of chest beating and what not, but ultimately they will be choosing between pick 46 or next years 2nd

From what I've heard GWS would be happy with 2017 2nd rounder( about right), Saints would prefer 3rd round(unders), Saints imo would of committed to both parties that a deal will get done, but I also think the deal won't go through until the last few days because there are alot of picks/players on the table this year and committing early will limit any chance that may arise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What will the saints get for draft pick 10.

Membery, Bruce, Billings Forwards (Res for injuries Lonie, Shenton,Minchington)
Gresham, McCartin, Riewalt Half Forwards
Savage. Stevens, Ross, Centres
Carlisle, Godard, Newnes, Halfbacks (Res for injuries Acres, Wright , McKenzie , Sinclair)
Dempter, Gilbert, Geary, Fullbacks (Res for injuries Fisher, Webster, Robinson)

Hickey, Longer Rucks

Steele, Freeman, Dunstun, Midfielders
Armitage , Weller, Montagna

32 players - this team is finals bound, if they can pick up a Mitchel, Fife, Gibs, or Rockclff they would be in the four
Ducks are lining up for sure.

I agree using 10 on established quality could be the difference from low top 8 spot finish to a genuine push for top 4.

Should pull the trigger now methinks

Read the original statement i qouted
It was acting like the Saints were bringing in nothing but Giants.

I just stated theres along way to go before you catch up to Carlton (who have brought in a ton)

Fair call - GWS have been good to deal with; as they should with so many picks to play with!

What I don't understand is why the Saints think this trade is a win. Giants are already better than the saints and this guy is a fringe player in their team. Saints will have to go through the Giants if they want to win the premiership.

They are basically allowing the Giants to clear out some cap space and have another crack at the draft. The net result of this pick is that the saints will get improved midfield depth at the cost of strengthening one of their major rivals for their next flag. Giants will replace Steele with a top 10 pick or an academy player.

Clubs should be targeting their top end talent, not these fringe kids like Steele and Marchbank.

What I don't understand is why the Saints think this trade is a win. Giants are already better than the saints and this guy is a fringe player in their team. Saints will have to go through the Giants if they want to win the premiership.

They are basically allowing the Giants to clear out some cap space and have another crack at the draft. The net result of this pick is that the saints will get improved midfield depth at the cost of strengthening one of their major rivals for their next flag. Giants will replace Steele with a top 10 pick or an academy player.

Clubs should be targeting their top end talent, not these fringe kids like Steele and Marchbank.

Steele was best 22 for much of the year until injuries caused him to lose his place. He's still only 20, what's to say if he remained at the Giants he doesn't improve & become better than 'fringe'?

I won't even acknowledge the Marchbank reference. Better judges than you & me see him as a prodigious talent. He will be a star.

To trade for their top end players you will need to part with a first rounder. Which is still strengthening them.

Also the Giants wanted to keep Steele he was pushing his way into their side and would have made it if not for injury.

Can't be worrying too much about the Giants, we need to focus on our own side getting better and Steele does that and we will hopefully get him at a good price.

Giving them a 2nd rounder or possibly a 3rd as I know we're aiming for isn't strengthening them much, will jut go to academy players. Agreed their top end has to be targeted though, hard when they're not OOC though.

Let's remember that with the huge amount of first round picks the Giants have had, a " fringe" player from them cannot be compared with a fringe player from almost any other team. As it is, Steele played in the best 22 a number of times and is exactly the player we need. GWS are not getting a first rounder in return from us.

Whos to say they arent. You have to convince the player to leave first, which is hard enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back