Traded Jack Steele [traded to St Kilda for 2017 second rounder]

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL royally cocked up the concessions for Gold Coast and GWS.

They didn't give Gold Coast enough, which has led them to never really get off the ground (granted, they had some part in this with some list decisions). And then they gave GWS too much which, although a blessing in the short term, has led to players leaving for opportunity (like Steele) or others seeking bigger contracts (Treloar? and potentially Kelly).
This could create an unstable environment where other clubs believe they can poach players, and the players themselves may not feel as if they are in a stable workplace due to constant departures and/or the pressure of knowing that there are quality players in the 2nd's who could usurp them, thus potentially creating the mindset of "I better perform in the 1sts and then secure a contract elsewhere".

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS

They didn't give Gold Coast enough, which has led them to never really get off the ground (granted, they had some part in this with some list decisions). And then they gave GWS too much which, although a blessing in the short term, has led to players leaving for opportunity (like Steele) or others seeking bigger contracts (Treloar? and potentially Kelly).
This could create an unstable environment where other clubs believe they can poach players, and the players themselves may not feel as if they are in a stable workplace due to constant departures and/or the pressure of knowing that there are quality players in the 2nd's who could usurp them, thus potentially creating the mindset of "I better perform in the 1sts and then secure a contract elsewhere".
Except it hasn't happened and the difference in concessions was minor. Underage drafts for players we couldn't keep but had to trade. Interestestingly we traded both years to the Suns.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Wow. All wrong. That took some effort.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Glen Buterol

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 15, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Except it hasn't happened and the difference in concessions was minor. Underage drafts for players we couldn't keep but had to trade. Interestestingly we traded both years to the Suns.

Don't forget the ability to trade off mini draft players for more early draft picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IanW

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
#Exers

The differences wasn't the concessions.

Look at the GWS team list during the 24 goal belting Hawthorn gave them in 2012. Lot of familiar names, huh. Half of that team run out for GWS today, and another half dozen or so are playing in other AFL sides.

Now, look at Gold Coast's team list against Geelong in their brave defeat in the same round in 2012. I'm seeing GAJ, Harbrow and Matera.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back