Traded Jack Steven

Remove this Banner Ad

James Gwilt at 63 is no slouch either, from a year when Tambling was pick 4 ( the funny thing is those Zany guys at Adelaide thought he was still worth a R1 pick last year ).

Compared with others in his draft Jack Steven would have to be looking pretty good next to the likes of Jack Grimes, Dangerfield, and Palmer from the same draft.

Isn't Steven out of contract this year? I haven't heard he has re-signed.

If I was the list manager at GWS.... It would be devestating for us to lose him.

In regards to the query from the Melbourne poster, I'd think you'd need two 1st rounders to have a sniff at him.

He's the future of our club, I wouldn't trade him for the #1 pick this year. There's no certainty of quality with draft picks, while Steven has shown enough to suggest in a few years he'll be one of the premier players in the competition.

Isn't Steven out of contract this year? I haven't heard he has re-signed.

If I was the list manager at GWS.... It would be devestating for us to lose him.

In regards to the query from the Melbourne poster, I'd think you'd need two 1st rounders to have a sniff at him.

He's the future of our club, I wouldn't trade him for the #1 pick this year. There's no certainty of quality with draft picks, while Steven has shown enough to suggest in a few years he'll be one of the premier players in the competition.

Really? You wouldn't give him up for pick 1? No offense to Jack but I'd rather Jon Patton.

The club has previously said that they'd thought Jack would be a top 10 pick if they waited until 2008. Whilst this doesn't come into calculations, if you consider him a 2008 draftee he's done pretty well.

Just not enough recognition for Jack.
Rising star discussions are full of Heppel,Swallow,Shuey.
Well Jack is right up there as a player.

I had a look at his dreamteam Stats.
From the Saints only, DalSanto, Montagna, Goddard, McEvoy, Hayes, Riewoldt, and Fisher have averaged more. Is he one of our top ten players?

I'm thinking yeah.

Re: 2011 Player Reviews

#3 Jack Steven

Dale+Thomas+Jack+Steven+AFL+Rd+21+St+Kilda+xLGgaYu-r6ll.jpg

The Small Forward-cum-Midfielder had his most consistent season of his career,playing 21 of a possible 23 games.Much was expected of him after his dazzling 3 goal game against the Cats in 2010. Steven had a disappointing start to the season, where he was caught up in controversy with team mates in New Zealand. After a fairly modest start to the season, Jack was put into the middle during the Rd 9 clash against Melbourne. It was in this game that he showed his ability to make an impact in the middle,gathering 27 possessions.

After his first full game in the Midfield, Coach Ross Lyon permanently moved Jack into the middle to great effect. This was noticed by more than just the supporters, leading to a rising star nomination in Rd 10, where he picked up a handy 27 possessions and 1 goal.

Jack was in stunning form from rounds 9-16 where he was averaging 24.7 disposals (9.8 contested), 4.1 clearances, 4.1 marks, 3.8 tackles and 0.5 goals.This was a surprise for many who, while expecting a lot from young jack weren't fully aware of his full potential.

Overall Steven had a very good year, possibly being the most improved player at the club. Unlike many of his more experienced team mates, Jack really picked it up after the loss of Vice Captain Lenny Hayes, which was the main catalyst for a more consistent St Kilda team in the second half of the year. Once again Steven will hopefully be a shining light for the Saints, and with the addition of Hayes and possibly more 'Young Guns' the 2012 midfield is looking dangerous once again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Steven
After a breakout year in 2011 Jack carried that form into 2012. He adds some desperately needed pace to the midfield and his ability and willingness to take the opposition on with some toe is something we simply didn't have before Jack became a regular, and in doing so has become one of our most exciting players. Likes to get amongst the goals as well averaging almost a goal a game this year which for a midfielder you'll take every day of the week. Doesn't get massive amounts of disposals yet but doesn't need 30+ to impact a game. He isn't all about speed though. Jack is one of our hardest in and under players and you'll often see him as the last bloke to get up from a pack.

The one knock on Jack is his kicking. He has a habit of not taking a few steps to steady before kicking which can lead to some pretty awful shanks. At the start of the year it seemed like every second kick ended up in the hands of the opposition but as the season went on it improved more and more and was kicking the ball pretty well until a one game club-imposed suspension for being over the limit at a recovery session. That one week off seemed to interrupt him more than most would have thought with him taking a few more weeks to get going again and by the time he did the season was pretty much over.

Overall though Jack had a great season and he adds a bit of unpredictability to a team that at times in the past looked mundane. If he can improve his kicking again the sky is the limit for this 22 year old. Needs a massive preseason to once again improve on his good work from the previous year to start becoming a real game changer and push for the elite status. By all indications he will put in the work to become one of our best and most exhilerating players and be an integral part of an exciting new midfield going forward.

Season rating: 8/10

images

Target on Jack's back, but star Saint 'can handle it'

ST KILDA is backing club champion Jack Steven to handle the pressure of being the No.1 target of opposition taggers as he looks to join the AFL's elite bracket in 2014.

His continued development during a flawless pre-season, however, has him well prepared for the challenge, according to midfield and stoppage coach Adam Kingsley.

"The intensity increased significantly this year in Colorado, and for him to do every single session without complaint from his body was a super result," Kingsley said.

"Last year he was awarded the best trainer, so that was something that really helped him through the course of the season.

"This year I think all the boys worked really well, but Jack again stood out with his intensity at training. He throws himself into everything and gives himself the best opportunity to get something out of it."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-27/target-on-stevens-back

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Steven:

Experience the 6th biggest fall in CD ranking points of any player to play at least 10 games in each of the past two seasons.

He only ranked elite for one category for a mid (clearances per game) but ranked elite in 6 categories in 2013.

Recorded the shortest time per stint on the ground of any mid in the league - 7min 11sec.

Ranked 1 at the Saints for disposals per min and 3rd for disposals and metres gained per game.

His delivery inside 50 declined, retaining possession just 32% oif the time, down from 52% across 2012-13.

Makes me happy :)

ST KILDA is well on the way to securing star free agent Jack Steven with negotiations on track for a long- term deal.

Steven was in brilliant form in winning the 2013 best-and-fairest before being hit by injury in the first half of last season.

Many of the emerging stars of struggling clubs are being courted with big offers to move clubs but it Steven is set to stay put.

St Kilda chief operating officer Ameet Baines told the Herald Sun talks were well under way to lock away the pacy 24-year-old midfielder.

He becomes even more critical given the retirement of much-loved stalwart Lenny Hayes, with Brendon Goddard and Nick Dal Santo having left the club in the past two seasons.

“The bottom line is he is a very critical player to us and our future and if you look at the number of re-signings we had last year with the young group, he is in the next batch of players in their 20s,” Baines said.

“We have been having discussions with his manger Peter Lenton that reflect that and we will continue to work through that but he seems happy here and we want him here so I don’t foresee any issues with it.

“The players are all committed to each other and to the club and we are on a journey and those signings have given everyone any underlying belief that we are on the right path.”

http://m.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-p...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Makes me happy :)

ST KILDA is well on the way to securing star free agent Jack Steven with negotiations on track for a long- term deal.

Steven was in brilliant form in winning the 2013 best-and-fairest before being hit by injury in the first half of last season.

Many of the emerging stars of struggling clubs are being courted with big offers to move clubs but it Steven is set to stay put.

St Kilda chief operating officer Ameet Baines told the Herald Sun talks were well under way to lock away the pacy 24-year-old midfielder.

He becomes even more critical given the retirement of much-loved stalwart Lenny Hayes, with Brendon Goddard and Nick Dal Santo having left the club in the past two seasons.

“The bottom line is he is a very critical player to us and our future and if you look at the number of re-signings we had last year with the young group, he is in the next batch of players in their 20s,” Baines said.

“We have been having discussions with his manger Peter Lenton that reflect that and we will continue to work through that but he seems happy here and we want him here so I don’t foresee any issues with it.

“The players are all committed to each other and to the club and we are on a journey and those signings have given everyone any underlying belief that we are on the right path.”

http://m.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-p...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
Great news!

Only thing is if you noticed in the article's top picture of Richo speaking to Jack - they named him Jack Stevens! :mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back