Traded Jack Steven

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Steven has proved himself to be such a handful player and one that cannot be contained due to his speed and work rate. He was everywhere again, breaking lines, getting clearances and working very hard defensively.

He had 23 disposals (11 kicks and 13 handballs) for a 'quieter' game but let his presence be felt with 8 tackles, 5 clearances and 7 i50s.

A quieter game from Steven. From my POV, he never got into the game like he has in the past despite getting 30 disposals (his disposal count was padded up by a few one-two's). He also had 7 tackles, 5 clearances and 3 rebound 50's but that is what we are coming to expect from Steven due to his work rate.

His kicking remains suspect, but he can nail them as well so I think it is a problem of fatigure/pace with him (as has been mentioned by other posters on the board) so when we start getting more help in the midfield department, I believe his clanger count will go down.

Really good game from Steven IMO. Played up forward a bit which explains a lower than usual disposal count (11k, 14hb for 25 touches) but worked hard in the trenches (11 tackles and 7 clearances).

Looked good with the ball as well, not making many clangers and splitting the game open with his pace and his kicking. Very encouraging to see and if the rest of the midfield step up and we become less reliant on Steven for disposals + run, the better I think his disposal will be.

If guys like Newnes, Ross, Dunstan, Acres and Sinclair continue to approve around Steven I wouldn't be surprised to see him snag a brownlow in a year or two, he has become that damaging a player.

Still think he can go to another level whereas I can't help but feel Armo has plateaued. Those two will prove to be great leaders when our young cores ready to start challenging.

Back to his best with a huge game for us. Was a constant force for us, amassing 40 disposals, 1 goal, 3 GA, 9 i50s, 10 clearances with 31 effective disposals.

Season stats:
8th for total clearances
9th for total i50s
10th for total CP
11th for total disposals (8th for handballs)
16th for total tackles
and 1st for smothers.

Huge year for Steven, hopefully he can keep it up.

What more can be said about his game on the weekend.

Lead from the front in a real captains effort. Carlton targetted him through the use of a tagger and also off the ball hits, but Steven ended up with 25 damaging disposals, 3 goals, a whopping 6 goal assists (and something like 14 score involvements) and over 700m gained. When Steven is kicking well, he is such a damaging player.

Every time he got the ball, we knew something good would happen. In the past 10 games according to champion data, he is ranked in the top 10, and well deserved too.

Absolute jet.

What more can be said about his game on the weekend.

Lead from the front in a real captains effort. Carlton targetted him through the use of a tagger and also off the ball hits, but Steven ended up with 25 damaging disposals, 3 goals, a whopping 6 goal assists (and something like 14 score involvements) and over 700m gained. When Steven is kicking well, he is such a damaging player.

Every time he got the ball, we knew something good would happen. In the past 10 games according to champion data, he is ranked in the top 10, and well deserved too.

Absolute jet.

There are players that can't be tagged well.
Selwood, ( used to be )Ablett, Swan.
I rank Steven among them.
If i was planning on tagging a StKilda mid, i'd choose Armitage.

I like Sandy Roberts and happy he's a Saints man, but Jack Steven has been a notable part of our team for years now, how can Sandy still be getting his name wrong? I don't hear him talking about Abletts or Dangerfields.

I like Sandy Roberts and happy he's a Saints man, but Jack Steven has been a notable part of our team for years now, how can Sandy still be getting his name wrong? I don't hear him talking about Abletts or Dangerfields.

He appeared on SEN yesterday, and in the segway they were playing back some game calls.
I would have thought they'd have been embarrassed that it was "Stevens this , Stevens that, Stevens kicks the goal. "

JACK STEVEN

Jack+Steven+AFL+Rd+12+St+Kilda+v+Carlton+uwzks7K7pxel.jpg
2016 Season Review

Steven produced arguably his finest season in 2016. He began the year brightly by acquiring 36 possessions in Round 1, before adding another eight 30+ hauls across 22 appearances, including two figures in the 40s.

He did a number on Essendon on both occasions, collecting 40 possessions, 10 clearances and nine inside 50s in Round 9, before adding a further 41 possessions (22 contested), 12 clearances, 12 tackles and nine inside 50s in Round 16. And his 39 disposal effort against the Dogs in Round 18 was extraordinary.

For the second time in the same period, the 26-year-old was included in the All Australian squad, but didn’t quite manage to secure a berth in the final 22. But his third best and fairest saw him become just the tenth Saint in the club's history to win the prize on three occasions.
The Numbers
22 games
28.0 disposals (No. 14 in the AFL)
11.3 contested possessions (No. 1 at St Kilda)
5.6 tackles (No. 2 at St Kilda)
5.5 clearances (No. 18 in the AFL)
5.3 inside 50s (No. 3 in the AFL)
52.2 pressure points (No. 1)

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-09-13/season-review-jack-steven

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack looks like he's really bulked up this pre-season. With the addition of new recruits Steele and Stevens (alongside guys like Ross and Acres), we're starting to look a lot larger and stronger in the midfield which will only benefit Jack and the others.

On another note, our new leadership group and our new guernseys look fantastic.

C4DxGxdVcAQ-PWb.jpg

C4GXGaFVUAA7fgS.jpg

Jack looks like he's really bulked up this pre-season. With the addition of new recruits Steele and Stevens (alongside guys like Ross and Acres), we're starting to look a lot larger and stronger in the midfield which will only benefit Jack and the others.

On another note, our new leadership group and our new guernseys look fantastic.

C4DxGxdVcAQ-PWb.jpg

C4GXGaFVUAA7fgS.jpg

Am I the only one worried that Jack Steven might have bulked up too much and might lose a yard or so of pace . Seen it happen to other players before. Remember Armo had his best season went he lost some of his bulk. Fingers crossed that I'm wrong.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

JACK STEVEN

Jack+Steven+AFL+Rd+12+St+Kilda+v+Carlton+uwzks7K7pxel.jpg
2016 Season Review

Steven produced arguably his finest season in 2016. He began the year brightly by acquiring 36 possessions in Round 1, before adding another eight 30+ hauls across 22 appearances, including two figures in the 40s.

He did a number on Essendon on both occasions, collecting 40 possessions, 10 clearances and nine inside 50s in Round 9, before adding a further 41 possessions (22 contested), 12 clearances, 12 tackles and nine inside 50s in Round 16. And his 39 disposal effort against the Dogs in Round 18 was extraordinary.

For the second time in the same period, the 26-year-old was included in the All Australian squad, but didn’t quite manage to secure a berth in the final 22. But his third best and fairest saw him become just the tenth Saint in the club's history to win the prize on three occasions.
The Numbers
22 games
28.0 disposals (No. 14 in the AFL)
11.3 contested possessions (No. 1 at St Kilda)
5.6 tackles (No. 2 at St Kilda)
5.5 clearances (No. 18 in the AFL)
5.3 inside 50s (No. 3 in the AFL)
52.2 pressure points (No. 1)

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-09-13/season-review-jack-steven

Does anyone know what the record for the most b&f for the saints is and who holds the record?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Am I the only one worried that Jack Steven might have bulked up too much and might lose a yard or so of pace . Seen it happen to other players before. Remember Armo had his best season went he lost some of his bulk. Fingers crossed that I'm wrong.
It's a valid concern, especially seeing what happened after Armo lost some weight, but I'm sure the club would've identified this and planned for Jack to bulk up but not to the point where it would compromise his speed. It looks like he will play on Thursday so we'll be able to have a good look at him then.

Does anyone know what the record for the most b&f for the saints is and who holds the record?
Nick Riewoldt currently holds the record with 6 (won between 2002 and 2014), followed by Bill Cubbins and Robert Harvey with 4.

Jack currently belongs to the 3 medal club with Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Jack Davis, Wels Eicke, Lenny Hayes and Jim Ross. You never know, he may very well end up with more if he continues to play like he does!

It was a pretty scrappy affair last night but Jack managed to amass 21 disposals (13 kicks, 8 handballs), 5 marks, 4 tackles, 3 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s and 2 clearances - all at 39% time on ground. Regardless of his 57.1% disposal efficiency, his stats really show how much of a damaging accumulator he is. His time on ground should gradually increase throughout the JLT series leading into the main season, if he plays of course.

Jack+Steven+St+Kilda+v+Port+Adelaide+2017+58cs6FC4thMl.jpg

A prolific performance from Jack and the boys today. He finished the day with 23 disposals (15 kicks, 8 handballs), 3 marks, 2 tackles, 5 inside 50s, 2 rebound 50s, 5 clearances, 8 score involvements and one behind. His time on ground was 62%, a significant increase from last week.

Not sure how to feel about that hair though!

Jack+Steven+Carlton+v+St+Kilda+2017+JLT+Community+2E7YXwkUM6gl.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back